Linux - Wireless NetworkingThis forum is for the discussion of wireless networking in Linux.
Welcome to LinuxQuestions.org, a friendly and active Linux Community.
You are currently viewing LQ as a guest. By joining our community you will have the ability to post topics, receive our newsletter, use the advanced search, subscribe to threads and access many other special features. Registration is quick, simple and absolutely free. Join our community today!
Note that registered members see fewer ads, and ContentLink is completely disabled once you log in.
If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us. If you need to reset your password, click here.
Having a problem logging in? Please visit this page to clear all LQ-related cookies.
Introduction to Linux - A Hands on Guide
This guide was created as an overview of the Linux Operating System, geared toward new users as an exploration tour and getting started guide, with exercises at the end of each chapter.
For more advanced trainees it can be a desktop reference, and a collection of the base knowledge needed to proceed with system and network administration. This book contains many real life examples derived from the author's experience as a Linux system and network administrator, trainer and consultant. They hope these examples will help you to get a better understanding of the Linux system and that you feel encouraged to try out things on your own.
Click Here to receive this Complete Guide absolutely free.
any ideas why i can connect to the router using the card (I get the ssid, mac of the router, etc.), but i get 100% overruns when i try to ping anything? i have set up the ip address using ifconfig (brought it up as well), and the default gw using route.
I tried using all of the versions of the driver, currently using the rh9 version. Also tried different kernels, now using 2.4.22-rc2
The oops comes from the fact that... well, the driver isn't that well written. I can't understand the oops trace. Offhand you may want to mail the output to realtek, beg them some more to open the priv_part of their driver and clean up some more code. How to get around it for now?
Honestly, compile a kernel from the ground up with as much as possible compiled directly into the kernel as opposed to modules... maybe that will get around it, I've had a lot of luck with this card and vanilla compiles of 2.4.21 and 22-preX.
When you say that you get the ssid and mac of the router, they're appearing in "dmesg" right? This little bugger luckily makes a very obvious log of the moment it associates with an AP. If you get that, but no packet traffic... I'm a little confused, could you list all the commands your are using, in order...
k, here are the commands:
iwpriv wlan0 enable < this gives me the connect blob in dmesg saying that it found, and connected to, my router (no wep set). The router also sees the connection, as i can see the mac address on the config page.
ifconfig wlan0 192.168.1.102 netmask 255.255.255.0 up
route add default gw 192.168.1.1
ping 192.168.1.1 (it is set to reply to ping commands), no replies
in ifconfig i have 100% overruns.
I have tried using dhclient wlan0 to no avail, no replies from a dhcp server
I tried using the same commands with the regular ethernet card, and that worked fine
Ok, my followup, sorry for the long delay but i had to apt-get over dial-up. i managed to install Gcc 3.3 (from unstable), couldn't compile my kernel with it. I also tried a 2.4.21-4 version kernel compiled with Gcc 2.9.x but i still get seg faults. I'm going to wait for another driver version before giving it another shot.
I've read this whole thread in an attempt to solve my issues with my Gigafast WF721 wireless pcmcia (realtek 8180 chip) to no avail.
I'm runing Debian on a Thinkpad 600e.
I compiled the latest redhat driver by just changing the kernel source location in the Makefile. However, when I try insmod i get:
rtl8180_24x.o: init_module: No such device
Hint: insmod errors can be caused by incorrect module parameters, including invalid IO or IRQ parameters.
dmesg gives me:
******** RTL8180 Wireless Lan Driver 2003-06-11 loaded********
PCI: No IRQ known for interrupt pin A of device .
RTL8180: : region #0 not a PIO resource, aborting
unregister_netdevice: device wlan%d/ce287c00 never was registered
RTL8180: wlan driver load failed
rtl8180: No devices found, RTL8180 Wireless Lan Driver 2003-06-11 unregistered
I appended "pci=biosirq" in lilo and it didn't help.
Cardctl ident gives me:
product info: "Realtek", "Rtl8139"
manfid: 0x0000, 0x024c
function: 6 (network)
PCI id: 0x10ec, 0x8180
When I try "lspci" I get the error:
pcilib: Cannot open /proc/bus/pci/02/00.0
lspci: Unable to read 64 bytes of configuration space.
So I tried "lspci -H1 -v" and got:
02:00.0 Ethernet controller: Realtek Semiconductor Co., Ltd.: Unknown device 8180 (rev 20)
Subsystem: Realtek Semiconductor Co., Ltd.: Unknown device 8180
Flags: bus master, medium devsel, latency 64, IRQ 2
I/O ports at <unassigned> [disabled]
Memory at 60000000 (32-bit, non-prefetchable)
Capabilities:  Power Management version 2
I'm not really sure where to go from here...been ripping my hair out trying to get this working. help!