LinuxQuestions.org
Did you know LQ has a Linux Hardware Compatibility List?
Go Back   LinuxQuestions.org > Forums > Linux Forums > Linux - Networking > Linux - Wireless Networking
User Name
Password
Linux - Wireless Networking This forum is for the discussion of wireless networking in Linux.

Notices

Reply
 
Search this Thread
Old 10-18-2004, 06:25 AM   #1
darkleaf
Senior Member
 
Registered: Jun 2004
Location: the Netherlands
Distribution: debian SID
Posts: 2,170

Rep: Reputation: 45
suspicion about scanning for wireless (ndiswrapper) and router with hide essid on


Does this return only access points with the same essid as you have set? Cause scannig with my essid set properly works and it lists my essid while if I disable my essid on the linux box it won't find anything.

Is that true?
 
Old 10-18-2004, 10:43 AM   #2
2Gnu
Senior Member
 
Registered: Jan 2002
Location: Southern California
Distribution: Slackware 14.0
Posts: 1,874

Rep: Reputation: 49
Scanning for APs with essid not set or set for "any" should return an entry for any AP within range.

Scanning with your essid set will return any APs so named within range.
 
Old 10-18-2004, 11:02 AM   #3
darkleaf
Senior Member
 
Registered: Jun 2004
Location: the Netherlands
Distribution: debian SID
Posts: 2,170

Original Poster
Rep: Reputation: 45
So that means if I scan without essid and get no results it's because I'm using the wrong interface name or something? I'll try later as I can't disconnect as I'm trying to download a 1.2GB file again and it has failed too much the last few days.
 
Old 10-18-2004, 11:10 AM   #4
2Gnu
Senior Member
 
Registered: Jan 2002
Location: Southern California
Distribution: Slackware 14.0
Posts: 1,874

Rep: Reputation: 49
If you scan without the ESSID set, and the ESSID broadcast is disabled on any in-range access point, you will get exactly what you've asked for - nothing.

The AP will still be visible to Kismet, etc., obviously.

Maybe I'm missing your point.
 
Old 10-18-2004, 11:44 AM   #5
darkleaf
Senior Member
 
Registered: Jun 2004
Location: the Netherlands
Distribution: debian SID
Posts: 2,170

Original Poster
Rep: Reputation: 45
Quote:
Originally posted by 2Gnu
If you scan without the ESSID set, and the ESSID broadcast is disabled on any in-range access point, you will get exactly what you've asked for - nothing.
Yes that's what I wanted to know

Quote:

The AP will still be visible to Kismet, etc., obviously.
Kismet? Is that a graphical manager or something? And then it won't show my essid I hope?
 
Old 10-18-2004, 12:51 PM   #6
2Gnu
Senior Member
 
Registered: Jan 2002
Location: Southern California
Distribution: Slackware 14.0
Posts: 1,874

Rep: Reputation: 49
Kismet is a wifi detection and mapping tool. It will detect wireless access points and clients - regardless of essid broadcast disable/enable. It can, under some conditions, display the IP of the AP and the IP range of the client network, the manufacturer of the router, signal strength, wireless type & encryption status, longitude & latitude and the MAC addresses of the clients.

Quick lesson/rant on wireless misconceptions:

* SSID can't be kept secret, nor can the existance of an AP. It's a radio and once turned on, can be detected by anyone with an appropriate receiver.

* Beaconing of the SSID can be disabled, but the AP must respond with its SSID in response to a probe request. A listener can see the SSID when your client probes or if they initiate a probe.

* 802.11 controls are passed in cleartext. Regardless of any data encryption such as WEP, MAC address, IP address, etc. are available to anyone who wants them.

* That NetStumbler cannot see an AP with beaconing disabled is no indication of its stealth. It's very much like hiding by putting your hands over your eyes.

</rant>
 
Old 10-18-2004, 01:07 PM   #7
darkleaf
Senior Member
 
Registered: Jun 2004
Location: the Netherlands
Distribution: debian SID
Posts: 2,170

Original Poster
Rep: Reputation: 45
Quote:
Originally posted by 2Gnu
Kismet is a wifi detection and mapping tool. It will detect wireless access points and clients - regardless of essid broadcast disable/enable. It can, under some conditions, display the IP of the AP and the IP range of the client network, the manufacturer of the router, signal strength, wireless type & encryption status, longitude & latitude and the MAC addresses of the clients.

Quick lesson/rant on wireless misconceptions:

* SSID can't be kept secret, nor can the existance of an AP. It's a radio and once turned on, can be detected by anyone with an appropriate receiver.

* Beaconing of the SSID can be disabled, but the AP must respond with its SSID in response to a probe request. A listener can see the SSID when your client probes or if they initiate a probe.

* 802.11 controls are passed in cleartext. Regardless of any data encryption such as WEP, MAC address, IP address, etc. are available to anyone who wants them.

* That NetStumbler cannot see an AP with beaconing disabled is no indication of its stealth. It's very much like hiding by putting your hands over your eyes.

</rant>
Thanks for the lesson. Learned a few new things there. I asked cause I thought linux might have a bit more powerful or different programs that might see more than I was aware of. Now this seems to be nearly everything. Think I'll do my firewall tomorrow.
 
  


Reply


Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is Off
HTML code is Off


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
slackware, ndiswrapper, and essid?! lethargic1 Linux - Wireless Networking 6 01-14-2007 07:33 AM
ESSID Scanning Doesn't Work Anymore. acascianelli Linux - Wireless Networking 3 11-17-2005 06:54 AM
WG311v3 thru ndiswrapper - essid resetting+ SaxyWeed Linux - Wireless Networking 0 11-11-2005 01:18 AM
Setting essid on DWL510 with ndiswrapper 0.10 lberger Linux - Wireless Networking 5 12-09-2004 03:16 AM
PCMCIA wireless card does not connect to the router after finding the correct ESSID Almazick Linux - Wireless Networking 0 09-04-2004 03:34 PM


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 05:30 AM.

Main Menu
My LQ
Write for LQ
LinuxQuestions.org is looking for people interested in writing Editorials, Articles, Reviews, and more. If you'd like to contribute content, let us know.
Main Menu
Syndicate
RSS1  Latest Threads
RSS1  LQ News
Twitter: @linuxquestions
identi.ca: @linuxquestions
Facebook: linuxquestions Google+: linuxquestions
Open Source Consulting | Domain Registration