LinuxQuestions.org
Register a domain and help support LQ
Go Back   LinuxQuestions.org > Forums > Linux Forums > Linux - Networking > Linux - Wireless Networking
User Name
Password
Linux - Wireless Networking This forum is for the discussion of wireless networking in Linux.

Notices

Reply
 
Search this Thread
Old 05-02-2005, 01:51 PM   #1
Atrocity
Member
 
Registered: Nov 2002
Location: Hell
Distribution: FreeBSD, Slackware
Posts: 308

Rep: Reputation: 30
Madwifi is it working???


I read some tutorials that said there is a command for madwifi that you can use such as

madwifi ath0

But when I do this it just says the command does not exist, but I do have an intermident wireless connection that fades in and out.. My Question is this, how do I know if I am using the madwifi drivers or are my cards just being recognized automatically.... And if this is the case then why does the madwifi command not work when I try to use it???


I dont know much about these drivers but I am trying to learn
 
Old 05-03-2005, 12:35 PM   #2
littlemidget
Member
 
Registered: Aug 2004
Location: Oslo, Norway.
Distribution: Debian Sarge
Posts: 171

Rep: Reputation: 30
Re: Madwifi is it working???

Quote:
Originally posted by Atrocity
I read some tutorials that said there is a command for madwifi that you can use such as

madwifi ath0

But when I do this it just says the command does not exist, but I do have an intermident wireless connection that fades in and out.. My Question is this, how do I know if I am using the madwifi drivers or are my cards just being recognized automatically.... And if this is the case then why does the madwifi command not work when I try to use it???
madwifi is not a command, it's a module, so you would have to install it. This is what you can do (as root):
1. start module-assistant
2. first do update
3. then do prepare
4. then exit the program and run: module-assistant auto-install madwifi

but if you allready have a wlan-connection, why do you want to install madwifi?
 
Old 05-03-2005, 12:41 PM   #3
Atrocity
Member
 
Registered: Nov 2002
Location: Hell
Distribution: FreeBSD, Slackware
Posts: 308

Original Poster
Rep: Reputation: 30
Oh I just wanted to know why if I installed it the command didnt work, which you kind of explained, either I dont have the module loaded up or I didnt install the drivers correctly, becuase I am not sure what I am running on the ones that came with slackware or madwifi, I am looking up how to work that module assistant in slackware right now, we will see how it goes
 
Old 05-03-2005, 12:49 PM   #4
littlemidget
Member
 
Registered: Aug 2004
Location: Oslo, Norway.
Distribution: Debian Sarge
Posts: 171

Rep: Reputation: 30
Quote:
Originally posted by Atrocity
Oh I just wanted to know why if I installed it the command didnt work, which you kind of explained, either I dont have the module loaded up or I didnt install the drivers correctly, becuase I am not sure what I am running on the ones that came with slackware or madwifi, I am looking up how to work that module assistant in slackware right now, we will see how it goes
Like I said, madwifi is not a command. It's just a module that you install. I doubt there's different ways to use module-assistant in debian and slackware, so just install it, run it as root and try
 
Old 05-03-2005, 12:55 PM   #5
Atrocity
Member
 
Registered: Nov 2002
Location: Hell
Distribution: FreeBSD, Slackware
Posts: 308

Original Poster
Rep: Reputation: 30
Yea I cant however seem to find a download of module-assistant other then the dabian version which is a .deb file
 
Old 05-03-2005, 01:00 PM   #6
littlemidget
Member
 
Registered: Aug 2004
Location: Oslo, Norway.
Distribution: Debian Sarge
Posts: 171

Rep: Reputation: 30
Quote:
Originally posted by Atrocity
Yea I cant however seem to find a download of module-assistant other then the dabian version which is a .deb file
http://ftp.debian.org/debian/pool/ma..._0.8.10.tar.gz
 
  


Reply


Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is Off
HTML code is Off


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
madwifi-ng on boot not working futz Linux - Wireless Networking 10 01-11-2006 02:39 PM
madwifi under debian sarge smc wireless card not working! closetosomethingreal Linux - Wireless Networking 0 11-10-2005 10:46 PM
dhcp not working with madwifi cincyman12 Linux - Wireless Networking 9 05-02-2004 07:44 PM
Madwifi Ad-hoc working only when manually started a_marie2000 Linux - Wireless Networking 2 02-28-2004 07:54 AM
D-Link DWL-G650 not working. Help with madwifi install? vxdxbx Linux - Wireless Networking 1 02-27-2004 06:02 PM


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 07:46 PM.

Main Menu
My LQ
Write for LQ
LinuxQuestions.org is looking for people interested in writing Editorials, Articles, Reviews, and more. If you'd like to contribute content, let us know.
Main Menu
Syndicate
RSS1  Latest Threads
RSS1  LQ News
Twitter: @linuxquestions
identi.ca: @linuxquestions
Facebook: linuxquestions Google+: linuxquestions
Open Source Consulting | Domain Registration