LinuxQuestions.org
Welcome to the most active Linux Forum on the web.
Go Back   LinuxQuestions.org > Forums > Linux Forums > Linux - Virtualization and Cloud
User Name
Password
Linux - Virtualization and Cloud This forum is for the discussion of all topics relating to Linux Virtualization and Linux Cloud platforms. Xen, KVM, OpenVZ, VirtualBox, VMware, Linux-VServer and all other Linux Virtualization platforms are welcome. OpenStack, CloudStack, ownCloud, Cloud Foundry, Eucalyptus, Nimbus, OpenNebula and all other Linux Cloud platforms are welcome. Note that questions relating solely to non-Linux OS's should be asked in the General forum.

Notices

Reply
 
Search this Thread
Old 12-23-2009, 04:30 PM   #1
redant2
Member
 
Registered: Nov 2009
Distribution: Mint 7
Posts: 35

Rep: Reputation: 15
Question problems installing Mint 8 virtually inside of Windows 7 with virtual box


OS = Windows 7 home

Virtualization = Virtualbox 3

Virtual machine attempting mint 8, I can boot to the disk get to the part where I try to install mint 8 and starts but when get to the partition size, I have error because is sees no hard drive, did I skip a step or something??

Last edited by redant2; 12-29-2009 at 08:32 PM. Reason: solved
 
Old 12-23-2009, 07:54 PM   #2
xode
Member
 
Registered: Aug 2003
Distribution: Mandrake 9.0; FC4; FC8; SUSE 10.3
Posts: 503

Rep: Reputation: 37
Could you please provide details of the virtual hardware that you set up for your virtual machine.
 
Old 12-23-2009, 09:36 PM   #3
redant2
Member
 
Registered: Nov 2009
Distribution: Mint 7
Posts: 35

Original Poster
Rep: Reputation: 15
Quote:
Originally Posted by xode View Post
Could you please provide details of the virtual hardware that you set up for your virtual machine.

I am new to virtualization but have successfully installed it in the past, Um hardware I will have to get back on when I get to the PC tomorrow, but I know its a built PC with MSI motherboard. I mean it reads the Mint DVD and all that fine just sees no hard drive in the Linux partition manager.

I know its a SATA hard drive

Last edited by redant2; 12-23-2009 at 09:37 PM.
 
Old 12-24-2009, 11:11 AM   #4
xode
Member
 
Registered: Aug 2003
Distribution: Mandrake 9.0; FC4; FC8; SUSE 10.3
Posts: 503

Rep: Reputation: 37
Quote:
Originally Posted by redant2 View Post
I am new to virtualization but have successfully installed it in the past, Um hardware I will have to get back on when I get to the PC tomorrow, but I know its a built PC with MSI motherboard. I mean it reads the Mint DVD and all that fine just sees no hard drive in the Linux partition manager.

I know its a SATA hard drive
My understanding of the situation is as follows (please correct me if this is incorrect):

(1) You have Windows 7 running on the actual computer.

(2) The actual computer's hardware is a built PC with an MSI motherboard and an SATA hard drive.

(3) You are running virtual box under Windows 7 and are trying to install mint 8 linux under virtual box.

If virtualbox is anything like vmware, it will set up virtual or emulated "hardware" that mint 8 will then see. The virtual "hardware" need not have anything in common with the actual PC hardware. For example, you could be running vmware on your built PC with its MSI motherboard and SATA hard drive. However, vmware would have mint 8 linux see an Intel 440BX motherboard, which is emulated and isn't actual hardware, with whatever size hard drive you choose, that "hard drive" actually being a hard drive image file on your real SATA hard drive. What I originally asked for was the virtual hardware that virtual box sets up for mint 8 linux. Could you please provide details of that virtual hardware that you set up for your mint 8 linux?
 
Old 12-26-2009, 04:19 PM   #5
redant2
Member
 
Registered: Nov 2009
Distribution: Mint 7
Posts: 35

Original Poster
Rep: Reputation: 15
Quote:
Originally Posted by xode View Post
My understanding of the situation is as follows (please correct me if this is incorrect):

(1) You have Windows 7 running on the actual computer.

(2) The actual computer's hardware is a built PC with an MSI motherboard and an SATA hard drive.

(3) You are running virtual box under Windows 7 and are trying to install mint 8 linux under virtual box.

If virtualbox is anything like vmware, it will set up virtual or emulated "hardware" that mint 8 will then see. The virtual "hardware" need not have anything in common with the actual PC hardware. For example, you could be running vmware on your built PC with its MSI motherboard and SATA hard drive. However, vmware would have mint 8 linux see an Intel 440BX motherboard, which is emulated and isn't actual hardware, with whatever size hard drive you choose, that "hard drive" actually being a hard drive image file on your real SATA hard drive. What I originally asked for was the virtual hardware that virtual box sets up for mint 8 linux. Could you please provide details of that virtual hardware that you set up for your mint 8 linux?
Yes you seem to understand my problem, but I thought I setup my settings correctly for my hardware, but it seems it did not have many choices , but I will triple check when I get a chance!
 
Old 12-29-2009, 11:09 AM   #6
redant2
Member
 
Registered: Nov 2009
Distribution: Mint 7
Posts: 35

Original Poster
Rep: Reputation: 15
Thanks I went back and checked my settings and once I clicked on the box in storage for "differencing" the hard drive it then worked!
 
  


Reply


Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Installing Mint inside of windows 7 The Blessed Hellride Linux - Newbie 15 12-26-2009 10:39 AM
how to keep kubuntu and mint together inside windows? saurabh4dudes Linux - Newbie 3 08-30-2009 12:46 AM
Help with VIrtual Box installing windows xp edgartech Ubuntu 6 05-23-2008 03:52 PM
Virtual Box. Removing a shared folder inside virtual xp. glore2002 Linux - Software 2 05-20-2007 11:12 AM
Windows inside Linux box amdawi Linux - Desktop 4 04-07-2007 03:36 PM


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 05:35 PM.

Main Menu
My LQ
Write for LQ
LinuxQuestions.org is looking for people interested in writing Editorials, Articles, Reviews, and more. If you'd like to contribute content, let us know.
Main Menu
Syndicate
RSS1  Latest Threads
RSS1  LQ News
Twitter: @linuxquestions
identi.ca: @linuxquestions
Facebook: linuxquestions Google+: linuxquestions
Open Source Consulting | Domain Registration