LinuxQuestions.org
Support LQ: Use code LQ3 and save $3 on Domain Registration
Go Back   LinuxQuestions.org > Forums > Linux Forums > Linux - Software
User Name
Password
Linux - Software This forum is for Software issues.
Having a problem installing a new program? Want to know which application is best for the job? Post your question in this forum.

Notices

Reply
 
Search this Thread
Old 04-29-2006, 12:02 AM   #1
jackopa
LQ Newbie
 
Registered: Nov 2001
Distribution: Red Hat
Posts: 23

Rep: Reputation: 15
Why does dual display work in KDE but not Gnome?


Any ideas why I could successfully configure my ATI Fire GL Z-128 display driver to operate in dual-head mode with two different desktops using KDE but can only operate in single monitor on Gnome? Also, has anyone successfully used on Linux the various ATI dual-head features available in XP (click to size to both screens, switch windows between screens, etc.) .
I am running on Fedora 4.
 
Old 04-29-2006, 04:28 AM   #2
daihard
Member
 
Registered: Jul 2003
Location: Lynnwood, WA
Distribution: Kubuntu 10.10
Posts: 912

Rep: Reputation: 32
Quote:
Originally Posted by jackopa
Any ideas why I could successfully configure my ATI Fire GL Z-128 display driver to operate in dual-head mode with two different desktops using KDE but can only operate in single monitor on Gnome? Also, has anyone successfully used on Linux the various ATI dual-head features available in XP (click to size to both screens, switch windows between screens, etc.) .
I am running on Fedora 4.
How did you configure your dual-head display? If you used the system-config-display utility, then it should not matter which desktop environment you use.
 
Old 04-30-2006, 10:04 PM   #3
jackopa
LQ Newbie
 
Registered: Nov 2001
Distribution: Red Hat
Posts: 23

Original Poster
Rep: Reputation: 15
Why does dual-display work in KDE but not Gnome?

Thanks for the reply. Did not use system-config-display as ATI said to use only aticonfig which is installed with the ATI driver installer in /usr/X11R6/bin. I did check out system-config-display however and it doesn't appear to have the ability to configure the ATI card properly. Can't understand how dual-screen features work fine in KDE but only get single screen with limited functionality in Gnome.???
 
Old 04-30-2006, 10:28 PM   #4
daihard
Member
 
Registered: Jul 2003
Location: Lynnwood, WA
Distribution: Kubuntu 10.10
Posts: 912

Rep: Reputation: 32
Quote:
Originally Posted by jackopa
Thanks for the reply. Did not use system-config-display as ATI said to use only aticonfig which is installed with the ATI driver installer in /usr/X11R6/bin. I did check out system-config-display however and it doesn't appear to have the ability to configure the ATI card properly. Can't understand how dual-screen features work fine in KDE but only get single screen with limited functionality in Gnome.???
Where did you get your ATI driver? Livna provides the FC4 package for the ATI driver, and if you install that, I don't see why you cannot use system-config-display to configure dual-display, be it for ATI or nVidia. I could be wrong, though...
 
Old 05-02-2006, 12:42 AM   #5
jackopa
LQ Newbie
 
Registered: Nov 2001
Distribution: Red Hat
Posts: 23

Original Poster
Rep: Reputation: 15
Why does dual-display work in KDE but not Gnome?

Thanks again for reply. I got the ATI driver from ATI website. Since I hadn't tried the Livna package just for the heck of it I uninstalled the ATI driver and then installed the Livna one. Then used system-config-display. Unfortunately I got same results on KDE as I had previously on Gnome. Also confirmed that system-config does not have the ability to configure my card with most of the options that ati-config does.I ended up re-installing ati-config . Guess I will just have to be happy with using KDE only in dual-head mode.
 
Old 05-02-2006, 01:54 AM   #6
daihard
Member
 
Registered: Jul 2003
Location: Lynnwood, WA
Distribution: Kubuntu 10.10
Posts: 912

Rep: Reputation: 32
Quote:
Originally Posted by jackopa
Thanks again for reply. I got the ATI driver from ATI website. Since I hadn't tried the Livna package just for the heck of it I uninstalled the ATI driver and then installed the Livna one. Then used system-config-display. Unfortunately I got same results on KDE as I had previously on Gnome. Also confirmed that system-config does not have the ability to configure my card with most of the options that ati-config does.I ended up re-installing ati-config . Guess I will just have to be happy with using KDE only in dual-head mode.
Sorry to hear that. I guess I've never run into that issue myself since I'm a KDE user...
 
  


Reply


Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is Off
HTML code is Off


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Gnome problems under dual-display setup geeksunny Linux - Software 4 04-30-2006 10:12 PM
Gnome Desktop display won't work LouArnold Linux - Software 1 03-18-2006 12:43 PM
kde>ctrl center>peripherals>display doesn't work: debian? dgr72371 Linux - Laptop and Netbook 0 01-19-2004 08:32 AM
How to Display/Open Gnome Applications in KDE? bongski55 Linux - General 2 07-08-2003 03:00 AM
Dual KDE or Dual Gnome Freaksta Linux - Software 7 01-27-2003 06:28 AM


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 01:20 AM.

Main Menu
My LQ
Write for LQ
LinuxQuestions.org is looking for people interested in writing Editorials, Articles, Reviews, and more. If you'd like to contribute content, let us know.
Main Menu
Syndicate
RSS1  Latest Threads
RSS1  LQ News
Twitter: @linuxquestions
identi.ca: @linuxquestions
Facebook: linuxquestions Google+: linuxquestions
Open Source Consulting | Domain Registration