I didn't have the presence of mind to look there. ( feeling pretty dog gone foolish ) I was in a bit of a panic. It seems that 10 minutes before I made the change that sent me up the river I called my customer and told him I would deliver the box in the afternoon. ouch
I fixed it. The hard way. I happened across a friend last night that had some interesting insight:
When I enabled Samba as a domain controller that PAM begain pointing to the smbuser file for authentication. hoseing PAM. To fix it i went to single user mode disabled pam and samba authentication, reset SU and my account. I could again login.
The default os level was 22. I changed this to 60. I'm sure this did not help. Samba again ran.
Now if I didn't hurt myself I found after I delivered the machine samba quit working and that I could not see it on the customers netowrk at all. :-( In desperation to clean any remain self inflicted bad I even un installed the samba RPMs and reinstalled. -- Better still no good. Samab smbpasswd whined about a lack of an existing passwd file in /etc. NUTS!!
A reformate and reload of rehat 8. finaly!!! fixed the problem. I have a happy(er) customer.
I have to change the dressing on my foot now. :-)