Originally posted by Grimsdyke
well ok I got apt and synaptic,... installed so far as I can tell. How do I find it? can I make a "shortcut" to it or does it just run on its own?
synaptic is under system settings/synaptic
or just start a terminal and type
or you can use apt in a terminal window, read the apt instructions at freshrpms
By the way you have to download then install apt to be able to use it. Use rpm as described above. Once apt is installed you wont need to use rpm again for files on this site. This is the procedure.
1. down load apt to a directory.
2. Start a terminal and become root user by typing
and enter your password next, as su do this.
rpm -Uvh apt-0.5.5cnc6-fr1.i386.rpm
Hopefull apt should now be installed.
3. Next fetch synaptic by typing in the terminal window
apt-get install synaptic
So now synaptic is installed and ready to be used.
4. Now use synaptic to download and install other rpms. It will work out dependencies and advise you if other files need to be down loaded as well.
5. Logout as su once you have finished