I have been trying to install IE6 SP1 to run under Wine 20040408 compiled for Slackware.
I do not want the browser but I have a specialist application that requires Internet Explorer to be loaded so that it will install (probably requires the Visual Basic scripting support and HTML stuff in IE6)
I have not been successful in that I still have not got IE6 to run, but some steps that I have found necessary for the installer to run are:
1. Start with a clean wine (i.e. delete the ~/.wine directory)
2. Run wineprefixcreate
3. Edit the ~/.wine/config file to suit your setup.
I have been using:
"Windows" = "win98"
In the [DLLOverrides] section I have added
"mshtml" = "native, builtin"
4. I have found it necessary to add the following native dll files to my fake_windows_drive/windows/system directory. In my case I have an existing setup on my dual boot system so this is easy.
I think these files are also supplied in dcom98.exe which can be downloaded from http://www.microsoft.com/com/dcom/dcom98/download.asp
and installed using
WINEDLLOVERRIDES="ole32=n" wine dcom98.exe
as described in the Franks Corner articles.
I have also copied "keyboard.drv" and renamed to "keyboard.dll"
With this setup I have been able to run the installer through the first pass with the only error message being that it could not find "winhelp". Numerous error messages are generated when the IE RunOnce occurs after doing " wine wineboot". A lot of these messages are about installation of cryptographic code, so I suspect that including some other native dll files would help a lot with this.
At this point I stopped persisting with IE6 as the install was complete enough for my specialist application to install and run.
Ahh.. LInux, not a product but a process! Perhaps someone else can take this a bit further.
BTW - I am totally gobsmacked by the capabilities of Wine. Certainly not perfect, but it has given me a very usable result.