Ahhhh job numbers. All making more sense now.
1. Running as root because I long since got sick of sudo & not a critical system.
2. Not sure what splitting files names by bash is. Gonna read up on that.
4. There are no children directories.
5. Cool. Didn't know find could do this. Looks like the find -execdir option is good.
6. Didn't work with that syntax either. Getting file not found messages because $file includes the ./ path. Fixed it with;
for file in ./*; do mv $file ss$(basename $file); done
Thanks for your help guys. Steep learning curve.