LinuxQuestions.org
Welcome to the most active Linux Forum on the web.
Go Back   LinuxQuestions.org > Forums > Linux Forums > Linux - Newbie
User Name
Password
Linux - Newbie This Linux forum is for members that are new to Linux.
Just starting out and have a question? If it is not in the man pages or the how-to's this is the place!

Notices

Reply
 
Search this Thread
Old 01-24-2008, 08:08 PM   #1
cyberspeedjunkie
LQ Newbie
 
Registered: Jan 2008
Posts: 7

Rep: Reputation: 0
Unhappy "URGENT" Unable to boot into windows from GRUB


I finally was able to install open suse 10.3 as a multiboot with XP and Vista but now from grub I can't boot into windows, is it because of the new vista boot loader? how do I fix this. I urgently need to fix this so that I can boot into windows to do my work.
 
Old 01-24-2008, 08:11 PM   #2
reddazz
Guru
 
Registered: Nov 2003
Location: N. E. England
Distribution: Fedora, CentOS, Debian
Posts: 16,298

Rep: Reputation: 73
You need to post a bit more info if you want help with your problem. Firstly post the contents of /boot/grub/menu.lst and let us know which partitions have your Windows installations (you could just post the output of running "/sbin/fdisk -l" as root).
 
Old 01-25-2008, 12:34 AM   #3
bottled leaf
Member
 
Registered: Feb 2004
Distribution: opensuse 11.3 x64
Posts: 98

Rep: Reputation: 15
i got vista and running fine with suse 10.3
 
Old 01-25-2008, 12:56 AM   #4
tamoneya
Member
 
Registered: Jan 2005
Location: MA
Distribution: Ubuntu 7.10
Posts: 558

Rep: Reputation: 30
If you need it so urgently that you dont have the time to be mucking around with grub. Just grab a windows install disk and use the repair utility on the disc. It should give you command line access and you should call "fixmbr"
 
Old 01-26-2008, 05:45 PM   #5
cyberspeedjunkie
LQ Newbie
 
Registered: Jan 2008
Posts: 7

Original Poster
Rep: Reputation: 0
Question

Quote:
Originally Posted by reddazz View Post
You need to post a bit more info if you want help with your problem. Firstly post the contents of /boot/grub/menu.lst and let us know which partitions have your Windows installations (you could just post the output of running "/sbin/fdisk -l" as root).
Forgive me for asking as I am just a linux newbie but how do I run "/sbin/fdisk -l" as root", I opened a root shell in Konsole and typed "/sbin/fdisk -l" annd got-: "No such file or directory"
please help
 
Old 01-26-2008, 06:13 PM   #6
comprookie2000
Gentoo Developer
 
Registered: Feb 2004
Location: Fort Lauderdale FL.
Distribution: Gentoo
Posts: 3,291
Blog Entries: 5

Rep: Reputation: 54
You sure you were root?
Code:
su
<password>
fdisk -l
There is no fixmbr with vista
http://support.microsoft.com/kb/927392
 
Old 01-26-2008, 06:13 PM   #7
Emerson
Senior Member
 
Registered: Nov 2004
Location: Saint Amant, Acadiana
Distribution: Gentoo ~
Posts: 3,177

Rep: Reputation: Disabled
Quote:
Originally Posted by cyberspeedjunkie View Post
Forgive me for asking as I am just a linux newbie but how do I run "/sbin/fdisk -l" as root", I opened a root shell in Konsole and typed "/sbin/fdisk -l" annd got-: "No such file or directory"
please help
Yep, you right. I just tried it myself with same result! Works without quotation marks though.
 
Old 01-26-2008, 10:25 PM   #8
cyberspeedjunkie
LQ Newbie
 
Registered: Jan 2008
Posts: 7

Original Poster
Rep: Reputation: 0
Smile

Quote:
Originally Posted by Emerson View Post
Yep, you right. I just tried it myself with same result! Works without quotation marks though.
thx for posting back with some help, I tried it and it worked. Here is the info you asked for:
Disk /dev/sda: 500.1 GB, 500107862016 bytes
240 heads, 63 sectors/track, 64601 cylinders
Units = cylinders of 15120 * 512 = 7741440 bytes
Disk identifier: 0x94479447

Device Boot Start End Blocks Id System
/dev/sda1 * 1 5418 40960048+ 7 HPFS/NTFS
/dev/sda2 5419 9482 30723840 7 HPFS/NTFS
/dev/sda3 9483 64601 416699640 f W95 Ext'd (LBA)
/dev/sda5 9483 23027 102400168+ 7 HPFS/NTFS
/dev/sda6 23028 36572 102400168+ 7 HPFS/NTFS
/dev/sda7 36573 50117 102400168+ 7 HPFS/NTFS
/dev/sda8 50118 64601 109499008+ 7 HPFS/NTFS

Disk /dev/sdb: 160.0 GB, 160041885696 bytes
255 heads, 63 sectors/track, 19457 cylinders
Units = cylinders of 16065 * 512 = 8225280 bytes
Disk identifier: 0x0d0e0e90

Device Boot Start End Blocks Id System
/dev/sdb1 * 1 9785 78589980 7 HPFS/NTFS
/dev/sdb2 9785 19457 77698341 f W95 Ext'd (LBA)
/dev/sdb5 9785 10046 2104452 82 Linux swap / Solaris
/dev/sdb6 10047 12657 20972826 83 Linux
/dev/sdb7 12658 19457 54620968+ 83 Linux
 
Old 01-26-2008, 10:31 PM   #9
cyberspeedjunkie
LQ Newbie
 
Registered: Jan 2008
Posts: 7

Original Poster
Rep: Reputation: 0
Quote:
Originally Posted by reddazz View Post
You need to post a bit more info if you want help with your problem. Firstly post the contents of /boot/grub/menu.lst and let us know which partitions have your Windows installations (you could just post the output of running "/sbin/fdisk -l" as root).
Here is the info you requested,

Disk /dev/sda: 500.1 GB, 500107862016 bytes
240 heads, 63 sectors/track, 64601 cylinders
Units = cylinders of 15120 * 512 = 7741440 bytes
Disk identifier: 0x94479447

Device Boot Start End Blocks Id System
/dev/sda1 * 1 5418 40960048+ 7 HPFS/NTFS
/dev/sda2 5419 9482 30723840 7 HPFS/NTFS
/dev/sda3 9483 64601 416699640 f W95 Ext'd (LBA)
/dev/sda5 9483 23027 102400168+ 7 HPFS/NTFS
/dev/sda6 23028 36572 102400168+ 7 HPFS/NTFS
/dev/sda7 36573 50117 102400168+ 7 HPFS/NTFS
/dev/sda8 50118 64601 109499008+ 7 HPFS/NTFS

Disk /dev/sdb: 160.0 GB, 160041885696 bytes
255 heads, 63 sectors/track, 19457 cylinders
Units = cylinders of 16065 * 512 = 8225280 bytes
Disk identifier: 0x0d0e0e90

Device Boot Start End Blocks Id System
/dev/sdb1 * 1 9785 78589980 7 HPFS/NTFS
/dev/sdb2 9785 19457 77698341 f W95 Ext'd (LBA)
/dev/sdb5 9785 10046 2104452 82 Linux swap / Solaris
/dev/sdb6 10047 12657 20972826 83 Linux
/dev/sdb7 12658 19457 54620968+ 83 Linux
I hope you can help me

Last edited by cyberspeedjunkie; 01-26-2008 at 10:36 PM. Reason: forgot to add info
 
Old 01-27-2008, 08:45 AM   #10
andreas_skw
Member
 
Registered: Jan 2008
Location: Indonesia, tanah air beta
Distribution: Knoppix v5
Posts: 97

Rep: Reputation: 15
When you try install OS at your computer, what OS that you installed first? Second? And the last? If you had installed open suse on very last, you would have met no difficult in GRUB configuration. It'll auto config --> has no problem.

And if you had installed open SUse at first or second, windows bootloader (MBR) would had overwrited Open Suse loader (GRUB). If this happened, you had to edit GRUB config. Type this at command shell:

(I recommend you make back up before try this. look at www.andreaslm.wordpress.com)

name@computername: su (hit enter) // if it can't, try sudo
password: (your password) (hit enter)
root@computername: cp /boot/grub/menu.lst /boot/grub/menu.lst_bak
root@computername: nano* /boot/grub/menu.lst (hit enter) //*=editor, you can use your favourite like gedit or vim or nano

try find this
##End Default Options#

Afetr you have found it, add this text below ##End Default Options#

* means depends where you installed. If you want to know run QTparted on Knoppix Live CD

title Windows Vista
root (hdX*,X)
makeactive
chainloader +1

title Windows XP
root (hdX,X)
makeactive
chainloader +1

Then Save it!

If you want to add some timeout, find this line

timeout X

X means what time you required to display GRUB options which on firstly you reboot your computer. If you set it to 0 (zero), then you can't choose any OS because you set out 0 second. And if you choose 10 seconds, it means it will automatically boot the first line of GRUB options after 10 seconds you don't give any react (It means Open Suse, you can make Vista or Xp as the first boot options).

Suggestion: Remember, you have to back up GRUB. And if you don't sure about this, please find your friend that able in Linux.

Hope this will help you.
 
Old 02-02-2008, 05:40 PM   #11
cyberspeedjunkie
LQ Newbie
 
Registered: Jan 2008
Posts: 7

Original Poster
Rep: Reputation: 0
Quote:
Originally Posted by andreas_skw View Post
When you try install OS at your computer, what OS that you installed first? Second? And the last? If you had installed open suse on very last, you would have met no difficult in GRUB configuration. It'll auto config --> has no problem.

And if you had installed open SUse at first or second, windows bootloader (MBR) would had overwrited Open Suse loader (GRUB). If this happened, you had to edit GRUB config. Type this at command shell:

(I recommend you make back up before try this. look at www.andreaslm.wordpress.com)

name@computername: su (hit enter) // if it can't, try sudo
password: (your password) (hit enter)
root@computername: cp /boot/grub/menu.lst /boot/grub/menu.lst_bak
root@computername: nano* /boot/grub/menu.lst (hit enter) //*=editor, you can use your favourite like gedit or vim or nano

try find this
##End Default Options#

Afetr you have found it, add this text below ##End Default Options#

* means depends where you installed. If you want to know run QTparted on Knoppix Live CD

title Windows Vista
root (hdX*,X)
makeactive
chainloader +1

title Windows XP
root (hdX,X)
makeactive
chainloader +1

Then Save it!

If you want to add some timeout, find this line

timeout X

X means what time you required to display GRUB options which on firstly you reboot your computer. If you set it to 0 (zero), then you can't choose any OS because you set out 0 second. And if you choose 10 seconds, it means it will automatically boot the first line of GRUB options after 10 seconds you don't give any react (It means Open Suse, you can make Vista or Xp as the first boot options).

Suggestion: Remember, you have to back up GRUB. And if you don't sure about this, please find your friend that able in Linux.

Hope this will help you.
I installed XP first, Vista second and suse third

Cyberspeedjunkie
 
  


Reply


Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is Off
HTML code is Off


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
"URGENT" Unable to boot alternate ubntu on windows 98 Quetzalyo Linux - Newbie 3 01-22-2007 07:58 PM
uninstall boot loader "Lilo" install "Grub" sethis Linux - Newbie 6 11-30-2006 10:32 AM
GRUB dual boot problem: Boot "other" (windows) just restarts GRUB! stevod333 Linux - Software 13 04-06-2006 06:26 AM
grub list "MZ" for my windows boot "Help on Change" davimint Linux - Newbie 2 01-26-2006 07:22 AM
Urgent: "Warning: unable to open an initial console." TGWDNGHN Linux From Scratch 7 12-28-2005 07:08 PM


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 07:26 PM.

Main Menu
My LQ
Write for LQ
LinuxQuestions.org is looking for people interested in writing Editorials, Articles, Reviews, and more. If you'd like to contribute content, let us know.
Main Menu
Syndicate
RSS1  Latest Threads
RSS1  LQ News
Twitter: @linuxquestions
identi.ca: @linuxquestions
Facebook: linuxquestions Google+: linuxquestions
Open Source Consulting | Domain Registration