Static Ethernet Settings
Hello all - I have a few questions regarding the configuration of a static Ethernet connection. I'm running CentOS 5.
1. Why isn’t the IFCONIFG command persistent? And is there a way to make this consistent using IFCONFIG?
- I edited the file /etc/sysconfig/network-scripts to make it consistent after a reboot. Is this the recommended way?
- There was also these variables in the file IPV6INIT=yes and IPV6_AUTOCONF=yes. (Does this mean that you’re using IPV6 or that its enabled for it?)
2. I added a few DNS servers to the /etc/resolv.conf file. Is there a way to give a priority or a weight?
3. I setup the default gateway two ways, but I’m not sure which one is correct:
- I edited the /etc/sysconfig/network and added the GATEWAY=192.168.1.1 to the file.
- I also added the command “route add default gw 192.168.1.1 eth0”. Which one is the correct or recommended way to do this?
Last edited by scucci; 09-24-2009 at 07:31 PM.
Reason: forgot to put version