1. Change your boot sequence in the BIOS so that it can boot off of the CD if that is your media source
2. fdisk /dev/hda (assuming you only have one HDD on board)
3. enter "p" (no quotes) at prompt ("m" = menu) to print Partition Table
4. see what you got loaded. You might need to delete some partitions first (use "d" and then choose the partition number)
5. create new partition - enter "n" at prompt, then "p" for primary rather than extended and then the number of the hdx
6. Enter starting cylinder (Enter - i.e. default - works just fine unless you have a special reason for not accepting value)
7. Enter size - I find using human readable sizes easier hence "+2000M" to get a 2Gb partition.
8. To enter a Swap partition enter "t" (to toggle the partition), enter "82" (the switch for swap space)
9. Enter "p" one last time to double check that you like what you see
10. Enter "w" to write the table up. You have now committed yourself to that partition table.