LinuxQuestions.org
Welcome to the most active Linux Forum on the web.
Go Back   LinuxQuestions.org > Forums > Linux Forums > Linux - Newbie
User Name
Password
Linux - Newbie This Linux forum is for members that are new to Linux.
Just starting out and have a question? If it is not in the man pages or the how-to's this is the place!

Notices


Reply
  Search this Thread
Old 04-02-2004, 12:34 AM   #1
Castaa
LQ Newbie
 
Registered: Apr 2004
Location: San Francisco
Distribution: Yellow Dog Linux 3.0.1
Posts: 9

Rep: Reputation: 0
Lightbulb New YDL install on an iBook, 6 problems looking for solutions


Hi all,

I bought a used iBook (G3-600 Mhz, 256 MB, DVD-ROM, Dual USB, ATI Rage 128
Mobility 8MB). I successful installed Yellow Dog Linux 3.0.1 via the ISO disk images. However, there are a few problems I've noticed.

If anyone has any answers to any of these I'd be very appreciative.

1. Mozilla seems to crash. I launch Mozilla and Mozilla appears in the task bar with the hour glass flipping for about 20 seconds and then disappears and the window never comes up. No pop up messages or anything. The Konqueror web browser works fine accessing the internet.


2. Audio CDs does not play. I put in an audio CD to the DVD-ROM drive and open up KsCD (KDE audio player). The amount of tracks and total time of the CD display correctly. However, the CD will not play. The display continually displays the 'pause' message even though I press the play button. Also it says it cannot find the CD's track information via freedb (even though it a very common album which freedb almost certainly has in it's listings)


3. What package(s) do I need to get DVD movie playback working on my iBook? Which DVD player is best?


4. I cannot get the battery meter to display on my KDE task bar. I turned on the battery display via the KDE control panel but it still do not display on my task bar.


5. Is there a way to put the display (monitor) into power save mode (off) but keep the CPU running at 100%?


6. Is there key/mouse combo that simulates a right or middle mouse button click (since my iBook only has a single mouse button)?


Thanks for any help!

Jon
 
Old 04-02-2004, 01:58 AM   #2
Castaa
LQ Newbie
 
Registered: Apr 2004
Location: San Francisco
Distribution: Yellow Dog Linux 3.0.1
Posts: 9

Original Poster
Rep: Reputation: 0
I found the answer to #6.
fn+F11 and fn+F12 are the right and middle mouse buttons.
 
Old 04-02-2004, 02:58 AM   #3
iluvatar
Member
 
Registered: Jul 2003
Location: netherlands
Distribution: debian
Posts: 403

Rep: Reputation: 30
Re: New YDL install on an iBook, 6 problems looking for solutions

Quote:
Originally posted by Castaa
1. Mozilla seems to crash. I launch Mozilla and Mozilla appears in the task bar with the hour glass flipping for about 20 seconds and then disappears and the window never comes up. No pop up messages or anything. The Konqueror web browser works fine accessing the internet.
try running mozilla from within a xterm, if mozilla gives any error messages you will get them in your xterm.

Quote:
2. Audio CDs does not play. I put in an audio CD to the DVD-ROM drive and open up KsCD (KDE audio player). The amount of tracks and total time of the CD display correctly. However, the CD will not play. The display continually displays the 'pause' message even though I press the play button. Also it says it cannot find the CD's track information via freedb (even though it a very common album which freedb almost certainly has in it's listings)
try using xmms / select another output plugin (oss/alsa/etc).

Quote:
3. What package(s) do I need to get DVD movie playback working on my iBook? Which DVD player is best?
sorry, don't have any experience with DVD, but mplayer (search for it on freshmeat / sourceforge) is able to run DVD's i think

Quote:
4. I cannot get the battery meter to display on my KDE task bar. I turned on the battery display via the KDE control panel but it still do not display on my task bar.
is the 'system tray' applet turned on? take a look at the /proc dir, wich contains much info, including the battery status (don't know the exact dir) when you do "cat <filename>" you'll get status / info messages about all kind of hardware (on my laptop, I could even check the fan speed)

Quote:
5. Is there a way to put the display (monitor) into power save mode (off) but keep the CPU running at 100%?
I really don't know, sorry...

Quote:
6. Is there key/mouse combo that simulates a right or middle mouse button click (since my iBook only has a single mouse button)?
ok, you found out yourself

greetinz & succes,
-= iluvatar =-
 
Old 04-02-2004, 01:32 PM   #4
Castaa
LQ Newbie
 
Registered: Apr 2004
Location: San Francisco
Distribution: Yellow Dog Linux 3.0.1
Posts: 9

Original Poster
Rep: Reputation: 0
Cool. Thank you very much for taking the time to answer my questions.
 
  


Reply


Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is Off
HTML code is Off



Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
YDL on Ibook cyberaxe Linux - Laptop and Netbook 0 12-17-2004 11:18 PM
YDL Newbie ? - Install OK but won't boot! machead Linux - Newbie 1 05-27-2004 09:13 AM
problem with combo drive on iBook and YDL 3.0 pbagda Linux - General 3 01-17-2004 08:09 AM
problems installing/logging into YDL 3.0 idontknowwhoiam Linux - Newbie 0 11-05-2003 01:42 AM
Getting ready to install YDL on PowerPC Thaidog Linux - Hardware 0 03-30-2003 03:41 AM


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 06:18 AM.

Main Menu
Advertisement
My LQ
Write for LQ
LinuxQuestions.org is looking for people interested in writing Editorials, Articles, Reviews, and more. If you'd like to contribute content, let us know.
Main Menu
Syndicate
RSS1  Latest Threads
RSS1  LQ News
Twitter: @linuxquestions
Facebook: linuxquestions Google+: linuxquestions
Open Source Consulting | Domain Registration