I will give you a short background on what I currently have and what I am attempting to do.
So far I have a server sitting in the cupboard which does the following:
1. Hosts a website using www.myserver.net address via apache
2. Acts as an FTP site when I enter ftp myserver.com in filezilla for example
3. Acts as an SSH server from putty for example
4. Hosts my mail using my ISP's smtp servers but using fetchmail/postfix/dovecot/spamd/freshclam etc etc
5. Able to use squirrelmail to check my mail when not at home
I have had this setup for over 2yrs now and its been running like a dream until my ISP has announced its shutting shop and I will have to look for a new broadband provider.
So... The story so far is, I have now been connected to my new ISP but they do not host any email. So no smtp servers to connect to.
This has now given me an idea to add to/reconfigure my existing mail server but adding a new domain name to it to use strictly only for mail.
I have now got the domain registered. I have found a suitable site in the UK to host the DNS and all is happy. The only thing I am not sure about now is how to setup the mail side of things on the DNS site.
Im sure they are kinda all the same so I will have a stab at the setup and hopefully someone can correct me if I talking rubbish
NS1 - mymail.com - Works Fine!
NS2 - mymail.com - Works Fine!
NS3 - mymail.com - Works Fine!
NS4 - mymail.com - Works Fine!
mymail.com - A record -> Static IP provided by ISP
www.mymail.com - CNAME -> mymail.com
mail.mymail.com - MX record (10)-> mymail.com
smtp.mymail.com - MX record (5) -> mymail.com
Any suggestions would be a great help indeed.
Thanks in advance