LinuxQuestions.org
Welcome to the most active Linux Forum on the web.
Go Back   LinuxQuestions.org > Forums > Linux Forums > Linux - Newbie
User Name
Password
Linux - Newbie This Linux forum is for members that are new to Linux.
Just starting out and have a question? If it is not in the man pages or the how-to's this is the place!

Notices


Reply
  Search this Thread
Old 04-17-2010, 03:37 AM   #1
ganfun
Member
 
Registered: Apr 2010
Location: Mumbai, India
Distribution: Ubuntu Server 9.10
Posts: 38

Rep: Reputation: 15
making a mail server lost in config


hi

i have installed the following sucessfully.

UBUNTU SERVER 9.10
MYSQL
APACHE

now i wish to make my own mail server for my organisation we already have a isp server but would like to act this for our local delivery and store mails something like what a daemon does.

For this i did the following

Installed fetchmail
Installed send mail
Installed exim
Installed squirell

And now i am completely lost.

Can someone explain me how do i setup from here. So that i can configure the server

My server spec are

PIV 2.8GHZ, 512MB ram, 80GB HDD, HIS MOtherboard, lan card.

I dont have any dns or other stuff here in our office.
 
Old 04-17-2010, 10:28 AM   #2
TB0ne
LQ Guru
 
Registered: Jul 2003
Location: Birmingham, Alabama
Distribution: SuSE, RedHat, Slack,CentOS
Posts: 18,788

Rep: Reputation: 4162Reputation: 4162Reputation: 4162Reputation: 4162Reputation: 4162Reputation: 4162Reputation: 4162Reputation: 4162Reputation: 4162Reputation: 4162Reputation: 4162
Quote:
Originally Posted by ganfun View Post
hi

i have installed the following sucessfully.

UBUNTU SERVER 9.10
MYSQL
APACHE

now i wish to make my own mail server for my organisation we already have a isp server but would like to act this for our local delivery and store mails something like what a daemon does.

For this i did the following

Installed fetchmail
Installed send mail
Installed exim
Installed squirell

And now i am completely lost.

Can someone explain me how do i setup from here. So that i can configure the server

My server spec are

PIV 2.8GHZ, 512MB ram, 80GB HDD, HIS MOtherboard, lan card.

I dont have any dns or other stuff here in our office.
Well, did you look up any of the MANY how-to guides available via a Google search, on how to set up sendmail, and the other programs you listed??

Those would be good starting points for you. Read them, follow the instructions.
 
Old 04-18-2010, 01:28 AM   #3
ganfun
Member
 
Registered: Apr 2010
Location: Mumbai, India
Distribution: Ubuntu Server 9.10
Posts: 38

Original Poster
Rep: Reputation: 15
making a mail server lost in config

Quote:
Originally Posted by TB0ne View Post
Well, did you look up any of the MANY how-to guides available via a Google search, on how to set up sendmail, and the other programs you listed??

Those would be good starting points for you. Read them, follow the instructions.
Yes i have gone through the instruction and have sucessfully installed the software.

My problem is that i am very new to the linux world and slowly i am understanding and getting to learn things.

My problem or where i am stuck is,

i have installed exim, fetchmail, send mail on the server how do i create new users, and also check it with squirell i have installed it also but says cannot connect on imap server.
 
Old 04-18-2010, 09:38 AM   #4
TB0ne
LQ Guru
 
Registered: Jul 2003
Location: Birmingham, Alabama
Distribution: SuSE, RedHat, Slack,CentOS
Posts: 18,788

Rep: Reputation: 4162Reputation: 4162Reputation: 4162Reputation: 4162Reputation: 4162Reputation: 4162Reputation: 4162Reputation: 4162Reputation: 4162Reputation: 4162Reputation: 4162
Quote:
Originally Posted by ganfun View Post
Yes i have gone through the instruction and have sucessfully installed the software.

My problem is that i am very new to the linux world and slowly i am understanding and getting to learn things.

My problem or where i am stuck is,

i have installed exim, fetchmail, send mail on the server how do i create new users, and also check it with squirell i have installed it also but says cannot connect on imap server.
Ok, INSTALLING is not CONFIGURING.

You have to set up postfix, etc., to have the various site variables you need, like where to get DNS from, domain names, etc. No one here can tell you those things. If you installed Squirrellmail, and it can't connect, that means your mail server isn't up and running.

From a Google search:

http://www.linuxhomenetworking.com/w...x_Mail_Servers

Configure sendmail first. That will get y our mail system up and running. Squirrellmail will be configured after that, to point to the sendmail server. Again, there are how-to guides on configuration.
 
Old 04-19-2010, 12:07 AM   #5
ganfun
Member
 
Registered: Apr 2010
Location: Mumbai, India
Distribution: Ubuntu Server 9.10
Posts: 38

Original Poster
Rep: Reputation: 15
Thumbs up will go through the entire process step by step

Quote:
Originally Posted by TB0ne View Post
Ok, INSTALLING is not CONFIGURING.

You have to set up postfix, etc., to have the various site variables you need, like where to get DNS from, domain names, etc. No one here can tell you those things. If you installed Squirrellmail, and it can't connect, that means your mail server isn't up and running.

From a Google search:

http://www.linuxhomenetworking.com/w...x_Mail_Servers

Configure sendmail first. That will get y our mail system up and running. Squirrellmail will be configured after that, to point to the sendmail server. Again, there are how-to guides on configuration.

Thanks for your help and link, will go through the site and restart the work again so that i can learn this, and build some confidence around.

will keep youposted for the same.
 
  


Reply


Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is Off
HTML code is Off



Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
making mail server on redhat 9 humam83 Linux - Server 1 12-13-2006 05:44 AM
Making a backup e-mail server - need help with re-delivery britsky Linux - General 1 04-25-2006 11:55 AM
somebody help with making up an a-z instruction for mail server setup? shadowsa SUSE / openSUSE 2 08-01-2005 02:29 PM
Apache Server Config, Mail Server, & Uploading johan the olive Linux - Networking 5 03-14-2003 11:42 PM
Why my E-mail Server is all space Lost? explorer1979 Linux - General 3 02-20-2003 07:44 PM


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 01:30 AM.

Main Menu
Advertisement
My LQ
Write for LQ
LinuxQuestions.org is looking for people interested in writing Editorials, Articles, Reviews, and more. If you'd like to contribute content, let us know.
Main Menu
Syndicate
RSS1  Latest Threads
RSS1  LQ News
Twitter: @linuxquestions
Facebook: linuxquestions Google+: linuxquestions
Open Source Consulting | Domain Registration