LinuxQuestions.org
Register a domain and help support LQ
Go Back   LinuxQuestions.org > Forums > Linux Forums > Linux - Newbie
User Name
Password
Linux - Newbie This Linux forum is for members that are new to Linux.
Just starting out and have a question? If it is not in the man pages or the how-to's this is the place!

Notices


Reply
  Search this Thread
Old 03-10-2009, 03:02 PM   #1
sushil_sk
LQ Newbie
 
Registered: Jul 2008
Posts: 11

Rep: Reputation: 0
Unhappy Linux Installation help


HI Friends

I want to install linux on my hard disk . configuration as follows.
segate ST320423A 20 GB hard disk ;; 512 MB ram & RHL 5.0 DVD
In CMOS setup & while starting the PC hard disk is detected & shown.
Hard disk is connected to IDE CHANNEL 1 slave position

But when i go to install it shows me below message

An error has occured - no valid device found on which to create new file systems . Please check your hardware for the case of this problem .

help is appriciated
 
Old 03-10-2009, 03:14 PM   #2
Tinkster
Moderator
 
Registered: Apr 2002
Location: in a fallen world
Distribution: slackware by choice, others too :} ... android.
Posts: 23,067
Blog Entries: 11

Rep: Reputation: 910Reputation: 910Reputation: 910Reputation: 910Reputation: 910Reputation: 910Reputation: 910Reputation: 910
Help us with helping you ... which version/distro of Linux
are you trying to install, at which stage of the installer does
the error above occur?
 
Old 03-10-2009, 06:11 PM   #3
TB0ne
LQ Guru
 
Registered: Jul 2003
Location: Birmingham, Alabama
Distribution: SuSE, RedHat, Slack,CentOS
Posts: 18,349

Rep: Reputation: 3910Reputation: 3910Reputation: 3910Reputation: 3910Reputation: 3910Reputation: 3910Reputation: 3910Reputation: 3910Reputation: 3910Reputation: 3910Reputation: 3910
Quote:
Originally Posted by sushil_sk View Post
HI Friends

I want to install linux on my hard disk . configuration as follows.
segate ST320423A 20 GB hard disk ;; 512 MB ram & RHL 5.0 DVD
In CMOS setup & while starting the PC hard disk is detected & shown.
Hard disk is connected to IDE CHANNEL 1 slave position

But when i go to install it shows me below message

An error has occured - no valid device found on which to create new file systems . Please check your hardware for the case of this problem .

help is appriciated
Ok...RedHat 5.0 or RedHat ENTERPRISE 5.0? If it's just RH5, it's very, VERY old..download the latest Fedora Core, which is 10.

You also say you have one hard disk set in the SLAVE position...so with no master disks, it would probably not have anything to install to, depending on your BIOS. Change the disk to be master.

Also, if this is RedHat Enterprise 5.0, 512 MB of RAM is very thin...install more, and if you have problems, I'd suggest contacting RedHat support, or going with Centos.
 
Old 03-11-2009, 12:16 AM   #4
sushil_sk
LQ Newbie
 
Registered: Jul 2008
Posts: 11

Original Poster
Rep: Reputation: 0
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tinkster View Post
Help us with helping you ... which version/distro of Linux
are you trying to install, at which stage of the installer does
the error above occur?

Hi

this is Red hat enterprise linux 5.2 version
And message occures when it asks for removel of old hard disk partition to install new linux
 
Old 03-11-2009, 12:21 AM   #5
sushil_sk
LQ Newbie
 
Registered: Jul 2008
Posts: 11

Original Poster
Rep: Reputation: 0
Quote:
Originally Posted by TB0ne View Post
Ok...RedHat 5.0 or RedHat ENTERPRISE 5.0? If it's just RH5, it's very, VERY old..download the latest Fedora Core, which is 10.

You also say you have one hard disk set in the SLAVE position...so with no master disks, it would probably not have anything to install to, depending on your BIOS. Change the disk to be master.

Also, if this is RedHat Enterprise 5.0, 512 MB of RAM is very thin...install more, and if you have problems, I'd suggest contacting RedHat support, or going with Centos.

Hi

The version is RedHat ENTERPRISE 5.2
I hv 80 GB master disk is connected to system but i disconnects it while connecting segate 20 GB hard disk .
I wll check for option 2 Change the disk to be master.
 
Old 03-11-2009, 03:57 AM   #6
jayaram
LQ Newbie
 
Registered: Jan 2008
Posts: 6

Rep: Reputation: 0
ok

Quote:
Originally Posted by sushil_sk View Post
HI Friends

I want to install linux on my hard disk . configuration as follows.
segate ST320423A 20 GB hard disk ;; 512 MB ram & RHL 5.0 DVD
In CMOS setup & while starting the PC hard disk is detected & shown.
Hard disk is connected to IDE CHANNEL 1 slave position

But when i go to install it shows me below message

An error has occured - no valid device found on which to create new file systems . Please check your hardware for the case of this problem .

help is appriciated
ok!
 
Old 03-11-2009, 04:29 AM   #7
alan_ri
Senior Member
 
Registered: Dec 2007
Location: Croatia
Distribution: Debian GNU/Linux
Posts: 1,733
Blog Entries: 5

Rep: Reputation: 127Reputation: 127
jayaram,
Will you explain the meaning of ok and ok!
I will be very greatful to you if you do so.
 
Old 03-11-2009, 11:43 AM   #8
malekmustaq
Senior Member
 
Registered: Dec 2008
Location: root
Distribution: Slackware & BSD
Posts: 1,617

Rep: Reputation: 442Reputation: 442Reputation: 442Reputation: 442Reputation: 442
sushil sk:

Definitely that is a case of devise contention. You must configure one to be master and the other slave. As it is written: "No channel can serve two masters; it must love one and hate the other."

Check the rear of the HDrives switch the jumpers; then accordingly implement the subjugation at the BIOS configuration. If still this won't work try disable RAID if you are not using it.

Good luck.
 
  


Reply


Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is Off
HTML code is Off



Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Redhat/Linux Installation Support??? Is It Red hat installation problem??? wanux Red Hat 1 08-01-2006 11:32 PM
Linux Installation before Windows Installation pragun Fedora 1 01-19-2005 12:27 AM
Installation doesn't recognize Red Hat Enterprise Linux ES installation cd bizkut Red Hat 2 08-15-2004 09:57 AM


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 04:13 AM.

Main Menu
Advertisement
My LQ
Write for LQ
LinuxQuestions.org is looking for people interested in writing Editorials, Articles, Reviews, and more. If you'd like to contribute content, let us know.
Main Menu
Syndicate
RSS1  Latest Threads
RSS1  LQ News
Twitter: @linuxquestions
Facebook: linuxquestions Google+: linuxquestions
Open Source Consulting | Domain Registration