LinuxQuestions.org
Review your favorite Linux distribution.
Go Back   LinuxQuestions.org > Forums > Linux Forums > Linux - Newbie
User Name
Password
Linux - Newbie This Linux forum is for members that are new to Linux.
Just starting out and have a question? If it is not in the man pages or the how-to's this is the place!

Notices


Reply
  Search this Thread
Old 07-26-2007, 12:06 PM   #1
shellarchive
Member
 
Registered: Jan 2007
Posts: 50

Rep: Reputation: 15
Installing 2 linuxes on same machine


Can we intall 2 diff linux distor on same machine, on same hdd ??????


i wanted to install ubutu on rhel 4.


can some one tell how to do that

thanx.
 
Old 07-26-2007, 12:23 PM   #2
leomburke
LQ Newbie
 
Registered: Jul 2007
Location: Cheshire, UK
Distribution: Gentoo
Posts: 10

Rep: Reputation: 0
Dual-Boot linux

Quote:
Originally Posted by shellarchive
Can we intall 2 diff linux distor on same machine, on same hdd?

i wanted to install ubutu on rhel 4.
can some one tell how to do that
thanx.
You shouldn't have a problem doing this and have 2 possible ways of doing it:
1) install a VM manager (such as virtualbox) which allows you to run an OS from within anaother OS. There is plenty of help and support available for this.

2) the natural way would be to dual-boot in the same sense as many people do with Windows and Linux.
if we take a typical hard drive (/dev/hda) which is 50 GB then we could use the following partition layout:

/dev/hda1 - boot - 100MB
/dev/hda2 - swap - 2GB (i have a lot of RAM so can get away with this)
/dev/hda3 - RHEL / - 10GB
/dev/hda4 {LVM} - 38GB {
/dev/hda5 - Ubuntu / - 10GB
/dev/hda6 - joint /home - 28GB
}

i would install RHEL first ensuring that it only formatted hda1,2,3 (and possibly 6 if it needed doing) so you would then have a working RHEL system that the boot menu would start with ROOT/dev/hda3 and that mounts both /dev/hda1 and /dev/hda6 to their appropriate places.
The 2nd step would be to boot with the Ubuntu installer (I am not overly familiar with this - sorry) and instruct it to install itself to /dev/hda5 while using /dev/hda1 & 6 as their relevant intentions although not formatting them). It is important not to have the boot loader installed when installing the 2nd distro as it would wipe away the first install (most distros give you the option to refuse it to install the boot loader). Once this is done you should be able to add a new entry to your menu.lst (if using GRUB) that boots up Ubuntu using the ROOT=/dev/hda5 parameter to the kernel.
 
Old 07-26-2007, 01:53 PM   #3
Wim Sturkenboom
Senior Member
 
Registered: Jan 2005
Location: Roodepoort, South Africa
Distribution: Slackware 10.1/10.2/12, Ubuntu 12.04, Crunchbang Statler
Posts: 3,786

Rep: Reputation: 282Reputation: 282Reputation: 282
I suggest that you do NOT share the home partition; incompatibility in software versions and the use of GNOME versus KDE might confuse the system. Instead you can add an additional partition for sharing.

Not familiar with RHEL, so don't know if it picks up other distro's automatically during the install. Ubuntu does (detected Slackware (2x) as well as WinXP in a quadruple boot), so I suggest that you install that last.

Quote:
It is important not to have the boot loader installed when installing the 2nd distro as it would wipe away the first install
It will not wipe out the first install, only overwrite the bootloader. I allowed Ubuntu to install Grub in the MBR without problems, so I don't agree with this advise.

Last edited by Wim Sturkenboom; 07-26-2007 at 01:57 PM.
 
Old 07-26-2007, 03:55 PM   #4
leomburke
LQ Newbie
 
Registered: Jul 2007
Location: Cheshire, UK
Distribution: Gentoo
Posts: 10

Rep: Reputation: 0
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wim Sturkenboom
I suggest that you do NOT share the home partition; incompatibility in software versions and the use of GNOME versus KDE might confuse the system. Instead you can add an additional partition for sharing.

Not familiar with RHEL, so don't know if it picks up other distro's automatically during the install. Ubuntu does (detected Slackware (2x) as well as WinXP in a quadruple boot), so I suggest that you install that last.
Yes good points - I overlooked both of these.


Quote:
Originally Posted by Wim Sturkenboom
It will not wipe out the first install, only overwrite the bootloader. I allowed Ubuntu to install Grub in the MBR without problems, so I don't agree with this advise.
My apologies for not proof-reading my post before posting - of course I mean it will only overwrite the bootloader. Sorry for any confusion
 
Old 07-30-2007, 03:26 AM   #5
shellarchive
Member
 
Registered: Jan 2007
Posts: 50

Original Poster
Rep: Reputation: 15
thanx but what about /boot partition for ubuntu,

Thanks for your help,,,,

but what about the /boot partitions for ubuntu,

is it fine if we install ubuntu bootables to be in /boot( RHEL bootable partition ) or to create seperate /boot for ubunto,if yes then how to do that.


Quote:
Originally Posted by leomburke
Yes good points - I overlooked both of these.




My apologies for not proof-reading my post before posting - of course I mean it will only overwrite the bootloader. Sorry for any confusion
 
Old 08-01-2007, 12:30 AM   #6
shellarchive
Member
 
Registered: Jan 2007
Posts: 50

Original Poster
Rep: Reputation: 15
help needed for installing two linuxes on same machine

can some one help me on this ! ! ! ! !.

Quote:
Originally Posted by shellarchive
Thanks for your help,,,,

but what about the /boot partitions for ubuntu,

is it fine if we install ubuntu bootables to be in /boot( RHEL bootable partition ) or to create seperate /boot for ubunto,if yes then how to do that.
 
Old 08-01-2007, 09:02 AM   #7
masonm
Senior Member
 
Registered: Mar 2003
Location: Following the white rabbit
Distribution: Slackware64 14.2 Solus
Posts: 2,264

Rep: Reputation: 51
Create a partition for the Ubuntu install and install it. There's no need for a separate /boot partition. During the install just choose to not use the existing RHEL /boot and it will create it's own in the / partition.

Choosing to use the RHEL /boot could potentially cause Ubuntu to overwrite some of the RHEL boot files and create a nasty problem for you.

One installation is finished you may have to edit /boot/grub/menu.lst a bit to make sure a boot option for RHEL is there, but Ubuntu's installer should recognize it and do that automatically.
 
  


Reply


Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is Off
HTML code is Off



Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
LXer: Can There Be Only Two Linuxes? LXer Syndicated Linux News 0 04-18-2006 06:03 PM
Dual booting two Linuxes jaakkop Linux - General 1 07-07-2005 02:04 PM
how to have 2 linuxes? caminoix Linux - Newbie 6 06-08-2005 02:43 AM
Same Swap for two Linuxes? artificialGekko Linux - General 9 04-26-2005 09:53 AM
Two Linuxes, one email george_mercury Linux - Software 3 07-04-2004 02:14 PM


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 06:11 PM.

Main Menu
Advertisement
My LQ
Write for LQ
LinuxQuestions.org is looking for people interested in writing Editorials, Articles, Reviews, and more. If you'd like to contribute content, let us know.
Main Menu
Syndicate
RSS1  Latest Threads
RSS1  LQ News
Twitter: @linuxquestions
Facebook: linuxquestions Google+: linuxquestions
Open Source Consulting | Domain Registration