LinuxQuestions.org
Welcome to the most active Linux Forum on the web.
Go Back   LinuxQuestions.org > Forums > Linux Forums > Linux - Newbie
User Name
Password
Linux - Newbie This Linux forum is for members that are new to Linux.
Just starting out and have a question? If it is not in the man pages or the how-to's this is the place!

Notices


Reply
  Search this Thread
Old 07-02-2013, 02:23 AM   #1
phearun
LQ Newbie
 
Registered: Jul 2013
Posts: 5

Rep: Reputation: Disabled
I am a new Linux user.


I am a new linux user. I have a few experience in using it. So, what should I do after I installed Ubuntu? And I want to know how to use powerful commend-line. Thank you.
 
Old 07-02-2013, 02:33 AM   #2
chrism01
LQ Guru
 
Registered: Aug 2004
Location: Sydney
Distribution: Centos 6.8, Centos 5.10
Posts: 17,241

Rep: Reputation: 2325Reputation: 2325Reputation: 2325Reputation: 2325Reputation: 2325Reputation: 2325Reputation: 2325Reputation: 2325Reputation: 2325Reputation: 2325Reputation: 2325
CLI tutorial http://rute.2038bug.com/index.html.gz

What you do is up to you; what do you want to do ??
eg SysAdmin, DBA, Networking, Programming?
If Programming, waht area eg Networks (tcp/ip), Databases, SysAdmin automation, GUIs, calculations etc, etc ?

For general learning, combine reading/trying that tutorial and reading/answering qns here at LQ.

Last edited by chrism01; 07-02-2013 at 02:35 AM.
 
2 members found this post helpful.
Old 07-02-2013, 03:01 AM   #3
phearun
LQ Newbie
 
Registered: Jul 2013
Posts: 5

Original Poster
Rep: Reputation: Disabled
Thank you

Thank you.

Best wishes,

Phearun

Quote:
Originally Posted by chrism01 View Post
CLI tutorial http://rute.2038bug.com/index.html.gz

What you do is up to you; what do you want to do ??
eg SysAdmin, DBA, Networking, Programming?
If Programming, waht area eg Networks (tcp/ip), Databases, SysAdmin automation, GUIs, calculations etc, etc ?

For general learning, combine reading/trying that tutorial and reading/answering qns here at LQ.
 
Old 07-02-2013, 03:44 AM   #4
kooru
Senior Member
 
Registered: Sep 2012
Posts: 1,385

Rep: Reputation: 273Reputation: 273Reputation: 273
Hi and welcome to LQ!

http://www.tldp.org/
 
1 members found this post helpful.
Old 07-02-2013, 04:42 AM   #5
phearun
LQ Newbie
 
Registered: Jul 2013
Posts: 5

Original Poster
Rep: Reputation: Disabled
Thank you

Thanks you.

Best wishes,

Phearun

Quote:
Originally Posted by kooru View Post
Hi and welcome to LQ!

http://www.tldp.org/
 
1 members found this post helpful.
Old 07-02-2013, 11:40 AM   #6
TroN-0074
Senior Member
 
Registered: Dec 2011
Location: Michigan USA
Distribution: OpenSUSE 13.2 64bit-Gnome on ASUS U52F
Posts: 1,444

Rep: Reputation: 340Reputation: 340Reputation: 340Reputation: 340
To learn more and get used to your new OS you should just use it full time for your everyday computing activities, play your music in it, surf the web in it, watch your movies in it and manage your files.
That way you will learn how to do everything from it.

For the command line you will have to read on the forums and some books that you can find perhaps in your local library.

Good luck to you
 
Old 07-02-2013, 07:29 PM   #7
YellowApple
Member
 
Registered: Mar 2013
Location: Truckee, California, United States
Distribution: Slackware, OpenBSD, openSUSE, Android
Posts: 92

Rep: Reputation: 35
Quote:
Originally Posted by phearun View Post
I am a new linux user. I have a few experience in using it. So, what should I do after I installed Ubuntu? And I want to know how to use powerful commend-line. Thank you.
Welcome to the wonderful world of (GNU/)Linux, and welcome to LinuxQuestions.org!

As for what you *should* do, well, I'd start off by installing software you might be interested in using; have a gander at the Software Center and see if anything interests you. My own must-haves tend to be LibreOffice (for spreadsheets and presentations), Audacity (for audio recording), and VirtualBox (for running virtual machines).

If you have any Windows software you can't live without (and/or doesn't have a Linux equivalent, as is the case with most games), give Wine a whirl (should be a matter of running "sudo apt-get install wine" via command-line); that'll allow you to run most Windows programs (though be prepared for a couple of bugs). If that fails, most software should run quite comfortably in a virtual Windows machine (via VirtualBox); supposedly, this works well for running iTunes if you happen to own an iDevice.
 
Old 07-03-2013, 12:44 AM   #8
phearun
LQ Newbie
 
Registered: Jul 2013
Posts: 5

Original Poster
Rep: Reputation: Disabled
Thank you

Thanks for your comment.

Best wishes,

Phearun

Quote:
Originally Posted by TroN-0074 View Post
To learn more and get used to your new OS you should just use it full time for your everyday computing activities, play your music in it, surf the web in it, watch your movies in it and manage your files.
That way you will learn how to do everything from it.

For the command line you will have to read on the forums and some books that you can find perhaps in your local library.

Good luck to you
 
Old 07-03-2013, 12:46 AM   #9
phearun
LQ Newbie
 
Registered: Jul 2013
Posts: 5

Original Poster
Rep: Reputation: Disabled
Thank you

Thanks you for your comment.

Best wishes,

Phearun

Quote:
Originally Posted by YellowApple View Post
Welcome to the wonderful world of (GNU/)Linux, and welcome to LinuxQuestions.org!

As for what you *should* do, well, I'd start off by installing software you might be interested in using; have a gander at the Software Center and see if anything interests you. My own must-haves tend to be LibreOffice (for spreadsheets and presentations), Audacity (for audio recording), and VirtualBox (for running virtual machines).

If you have any Windows software you can't live without (and/or doesn't have a Linux equivalent, as is the case with most games), give Wine a whirl (should be a matter of running "sudo apt-get install wine" via command-line); that'll allow you to run most Windows programs (though be prepared for a couple of bugs). If that fails, most software should run quite comfortably in a virtual Windows machine (via VirtualBox); supposedly, this works well for running iTunes if you happen to own an iDevice.
 
  


Reply


Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is Off
HTML code is Off



Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Old Windows/DOS user, old Linux User as Client, New to Linux Administration clark_kent24616 LinuxQuestions.org Member Intro 3 02-09-2011 12:08 AM
LXer: Linux 101: Manage user accounts in a multi-user Linux environment ... LXer Syndicated Linux News 0 06-27-2006 08:03 AM


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 08:34 PM.

Main Menu
Advertisement
My LQ
Write for LQ
LinuxQuestions.org is looking for people interested in writing Editorials, Articles, Reviews, and more. If you'd like to contribute content, let us know.
Main Menu
Syndicate
RSS1  Latest Threads
RSS1  LQ News
Twitter: @linuxquestions
Facebook: linuxquestions Google+: linuxquestions
Open Source Consulting | Domain Registration