Alright - I'm bored, which means that today is your lucky day.
Here is the correct* way to do this
(*Depending on who you ask
1. You will be installing to /dev/hdb
2. Insert your install CD, and partition it as follows:
Create a new partition, type ext2, size 1G (1024MB)
Create a second partition, type Linux Swap, size = 2x RAM (Ex. - You have 64M of RAM, make this drive 128M)
Create a third partition, type reiserfs, size the remainder of the drive.
3. Install your OS. Pay attention to the label of the "root" drive (/) It will be something like /dev/hdb3. The number is what we are looking for. It will also ask you where you want to mount the 1G partition, as it is unused. Choose /boot.
4. BOOTLOADER - When it asks about installing a bootloader, GRUB, lilo, etc - choose to install it to "root" or "superblock"
5 MAKE A BOOT FLOPPY!!!!!!!!!!! This is VERY important.
6. Once you are installed, and it tells you to reboot, do so, with your new Boot Floppy in the drive.
7. Start Linux, and go into X - (startx)
8. Get your internet working - if you need help, come back here.
9. Open a terminal window (the linux "Command Prompt") and type the following:
dd if=/dev/hdb* bs=512 count=1 of=~/Desktop/bootsect.lin
* is the number you were supposed to pay attention to in step 3.
10. Now, open a browser, and go to your favorite webmail site (yahoo, comcast, time warner, etc....)
11. Compose a new message to yourself, and attach ~/Desktop/bootsect.lin
12. Reboot, without the floppy. You should load into Windows.
13. Go out, and get your e-mail. Save the attachment to C:\
14 Add the following to your boot.ini file (Right Click "My Computer">Properties. Click the Advanced Tab, Settings button under "Startup and Recovery" Click the Edit button, and copy and paste)
15. Reboot, and you should see two entries when it starts - "Windows XP" and whatever you named the Linux line in boot.ini. Choose Linux, and you should be all good!!!!!