LinuxQuestions.org
Welcome to the most active Linux Forum on the web.
Go Back   LinuxQuestions.org > Forums > Linux Forums > Linux - Newbie
User Name
Password
Linux - Newbie This Linux forum is for members that are new to Linux.
Just starting out and have a question? If it is not in the man pages or the how-to's this is the place!

Notices


Reply
  Search this Thread
Old 04-19-2010, 02:39 PM   #1
dahliash
LQ Newbie
 
Registered: Feb 2004
Posts: 15

Rep: Reputation: 0
group permissions for subfolders only (CentOS)


Hi,

Is there a way to allow other members of my group to access subfolders under my home directory, but not my home directory itself?

I'm using CentOS 5.4

Thanks,
Dahlia.
 
Old 04-19-2010, 02:52 PM   #2
amani
Senior Member
 
Registered: Jul 2006
Location: Kolkata, India
Distribution: Debian 64-bit GNU/Linux, Kubuntu64, Fedora QA, Slackware,
Posts: 2,766

Rep: Reputation: Disabled
http://content.hccfl.edu/pollock/AUn...ermissions.htm

"Suppose some user attempts to read a file with some Unix command such as cat. The system call read() is used and the "r" permission is required. The system checks to see if the user is in fact the owner of the file. If so, the access is permitted if the owner has been granted "r" permission. If not, the system check to see if the user is a member of the group of the file. If so, access is permitted if the group has been granted "r" permission".
 
0 members found this post helpful.
Old 04-19-2010, 04:27 PM   #3
Tinkster
Moderator
 
Registered: Apr 2002
Location: in a fallen world
Distribution: slackware by choice, others too :} ... android.
Posts: 23,066
Blog Entries: 11

Rep: Reputation: 910Reputation: 910Reputation: 910Reputation: 910Reputation: 910Reputation: 910Reputation: 910Reputation: 910
Quote:
Originally Posted by amani View Post
http://content.hccfl.edu/pollock/AUn...ermissions.htm

"Suppose some user attempts to read a file with some Unix command such as cat. The system call read() is used and the "r" permission is required. The system checks to see if the user is in fact the owner of the file. If so, the access is permitted if the owner has been granted "r" permission. If not, the system check to see if the user is a member of the group of the file. If so, access is permitted if the group has been granted "r" permission".
While this is all technically correct it has next to nothing
to do with the OPs question. It doesn't touch on permissions
of directories, it doesn't touch on the subject of the entire
path to the files and their permissions.


Quote:
Is there a way to allow other members of my group to access subfolders under my home directory, but not my home directory itself?
Depends on what exactly your requirement is.

If you e.g. have
Code:
drwx--x--x 124 dahliash users 20480 2010-04-20 08:21 dahliash
drwxr-xr-x   2 dahliash group  4096 2010-04-20 08:22 dahliash/share
users KNOWING the path to share will be allowed to read files
in share and cd into it, but won't be able to look at your
homes immediate contents.



Cheers,
Tink
 
1 members found this post helpful.
Old 04-20-2010, 01:31 PM   #4
dahliash
LQ Newbie
 
Registered: Feb 2004
Posts: 15

Original Poster
Rep: Reputation: 0
Thumbs up changing the group permissions to +x did the trick

... before I just had it group-readable, not group-executable, which was not enough.
Thanks!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tinkster View Post
While this is all technically correct it has next to nothing
to do with the OPs question. It doesn't touch on permissions
of directories, it doesn't touch on the subject of the entire
path to the files and their permissions.



Depends on what exactly your requirement is.

If you e.g. have
Code:
drwx--x--x 124 dahliash users 20480 2010-04-20 08:21 dahliash
drwxr-xr-x   2 dahliash group  4096 2010-04-20 08:22 dahliash/share
users KNOWING the path to share will be allowed to read files
in share and cd into it, but won't be able to look at your
homes immediate contents.



Cheers,
Tink
 
  


Reply


Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is Off
HTML code is Off



Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Automatic owner and group of subfiles/subfolders rejeep Linux - General 4 08-05-2007 03:02 AM
Permissions propagating to subfolders & files linus Linux - General 2 06-21-2007 01:58 PM
changeing permissions for a folder + subfolders and files ? YBA^[x] Slackware 7 08-06-2004 05:07 AM
cannot get write permissions for /home and subfolders after upgrade repeater75 Linux - General 4 02-22-2004 11:24 PM
Samba: How to set permissions on subfolders for different users. adewri Linux - Software 3 08-25-2003 12:01 PM


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 10:44 AM.

Main Menu
Advertisement
My LQ
Write for LQ
LinuxQuestions.org is looking for people interested in writing Editorials, Articles, Reviews, and more. If you'd like to contribute content, let us know.
Main Menu
Syndicate
RSS1  Latest Threads
RSS1  LQ News
Twitter: @linuxquestions
Facebook: linuxquestions Google+: linuxquestions
Open Source Consulting | Domain Registration