LinuxQuestions.org
Share your knowledge at the LQ Wiki.
Go Back   LinuxQuestions.org > Forums > Linux Forums > Linux - Networking
User Name
Password
Linux - Networking This forum is for any issue related to networks or networking.
Routing, network cards, OSI, etc. Anything is fair game.

Notices

Reply
 
Search this Thread
Old 09-01-2010, 03:52 PM   #1
manoj45yadav
LQ Newbie
 
Registered: Aug 2010
Posts: 1

Rep: Reputation: Disabled
Unhappy how to use telnet command in linux


help ..pls give some idea about it.
 
Old 09-01-2010, 03:59 PM   #2
AlucardZero
Senior Member
 
Registered: May 2006
Location: USA
Distribution: Debian
Posts: 4,652

Rep: Reputation: 536Reputation: 536Reputation: 536Reputation: 536Reputation: 536Reputation: 536
Run the "telnet" command. See "man telnet" for usage information.
 
Old 09-02-2010, 02:01 PM   #3
mrlinux11
LQ Newbie
 
Registered: Aug 2007
Posts: 12

Rep: Reputation: 0
telnet Hostname [port Number] Port Number is optional by default it goes to port 23


The telnet is used to connect to remote hosts using a command line interface (mostly Linux/Unix)
In order to use telent the server must have a telnet server running.

NOTE: This program is not very secure, it sends USERID/Password across the network in plain text.
 
Old 09-02-2010, 03:22 PM   #4
TB0ne
Guru
 
Registered: Jul 2003
Location: Birmingham, Alabama
Distribution: SuSE, RedHat, Slack,CentOS
Posts: 15,071

Rep: Reputation: 2712Reputation: 2712Reputation: 2712Reputation: 2712Reputation: 2712Reputation: 2712Reputation: 2712Reputation: 2712Reputation: 2712Reputation: 2712Reputation: 2712
Quote:
Originally Posted by manoj45yadav View Post
help ..pls give some idea about it.
Spell out your words. And have you tried to look this up?? Google has lots of information, as do the man pages. Try both.

Basic usage:
Type in "telnet"...press ENTER.
 
0 members found this post helpful.
Old 03-01-2012, 02:30 AM   #5
varunb
Member
 
Registered: Mar 2011
Location: Bangalore, INDIA
Distribution: opensuse, fedora
Posts: 135
Blog Entries: 1

Rep: Reputation: 1
Question

I am using opensuse 12.1, also knowinly this is old thread but still wanted to subscribe to this thread.

where do i find telenet logs????

i tried with debug option -d in command prompt, i am ale to login to exchange server, but my username login is gettin failed!!!!

Code:
varun:~ # telnet -d exchange.logix.in 143
Trying 115.112.241.110...
Connected to exchange.logix.in.
Escape character is '^]'.
* OK exchange.logix.in IMAP4 service is ready. .
? LOGIN varunb@xxxx.com xxxxx
? NO LOGIN failed.
i am pretty sure that username and password are correct!!! Also i am able to login through webmail!!!
i.e http://exchange.logix.in

any idea on this????
 
Old 03-01-2012, 11:21 AM   #6
TB0ne
Guru
 
Registered: Jul 2003
Location: Birmingham, Alabama
Distribution: SuSE, RedHat, Slack,CentOS
Posts: 15,071

Rep: Reputation: 2712Reputation: 2712Reputation: 2712Reputation: 2712Reputation: 2712Reputation: 2712Reputation: 2712Reputation: 2712Reputation: 2712Reputation: 2712Reputation: 2712
Quote:
Originally Posted by varunb View Post
I am using opensuse 12.1, also knowinly this is old thread but still wanted to subscribe to this thread. where do i find telenet logs???? i tried with debug option -d in command prompt, i am ale to login to exchange server, but my username login is gettin failed!!!!
Code:
varun:~ # telnet -d exchange.logix.in 143
Trying 115.112.241.110...
Connected to exchange.logix.in.
Escape character is '^]'.
* OK exchange.logix.in IMAP4 service is ready. .
? LOGIN varunb@xxxx.com xxxxx
? NO LOGIN failed.
i am pretty sure that username and password are correct!!! Also i am able to login through webmail!!! any idea on this????
Don't reopen old threads..this has been closed for two years about a different issue.

There are no 'telnet logs' for client sessions, only for a telnet server. Even then, it would only cover what you set up when you run the telnet daemon, and what syslog events you tell it TO log.

Also, you do realize that you're trying to telnet into the IMAP server port above, right?? That won't really work, except for a VERY basic test, which is what you've done. If you were trying to verify that IMAP was available on that server, you've done it. If you're trying to get a terminal session running, you have to telnet to the telnet service port, which is typically 23.
 
1 members found this post helpful.
Old 03-02-2012, 12:31 AM   #7
varunb
Member
 
Registered: Mar 2011
Location: Bangalore, INDIA
Distribution: opensuse, fedora
Posts: 135
Blog Entries: 1

Rep: Reputation: 1
Wink

Quote:
Originally Posted by TB0ne View Post
Don't reopen old threads..this has been closed for two years about a different issue.

There are no 'telnet logs' for client sessions, only for a telnet server. Even then, it would only cover what you set up when you run the telnet daemon, and what syslog events you tell it TO log.
ok. well opened this thread where answer to the topic continues and also if others faces this kinda problem,
they can easily find the answers as well(while googlin too)!!!!

and about the telnet, oooopzz there should have been logs rite???at the client side also!!!!


Quote:
Originally Posted by TB0ne View Post
Also, you do realize that you're trying to telnet into the IMAP server port above, right?? That won't really work, except for a VERY basic test, which is what you've done. If you were trying to verify that IMAP was available on that server, you've done it. If you're trying to get a terminal session running, you have to telnet to the telnet service port, which is typically 23.
I refered this below URL

http://support.microsoft.com/kb/189326

Yes i am tryin to connect to IMAP server, and i was just testing my user login!!! actually i was not able to login through thunderbird email client!!! i was getting a error like login to exchange server failed!!!

so i was trying to telnet the same username!!!
but it was not happenin!!! And also i found out a strange issuse of this cause, it was through our office firewall!!!

anywayz now its workin and also telnet is happenin!!!

Code:
varunb@varun:~> telnet exchange.logix.in 143
Trying 115.112.241.110...
Connected to exchange.logix.in.
Escape character is '^]'.
* OK exchange.logix.in IMAP4 service is ready. .
? LOGIN varunb@XXXX.com <password>
? OK LOGIN completed.
? LIST "" "*"
* LIST (\HasNoChildren) "/" Archives
* LIST (\Marked \HasNoChildren) "/" Calendar
* LIST (\HasNoChildren) "/" Contacts
* LIST (\Marked \HasNoChildren) "/" "Deleted Items"
* LIST (\HasChildren) "/" Drafts
* LIST (\HasNoChildren) "/" Drafts/DATES
* LIST (\HasNoChildren) "/" Drafts/documents
* LIST (\Marked \HasNoChildren) "/" INBOX
* LIST (\HasNoChildren) "/" Journal
* LIST (\HasNoChildren) "/" "Junk E-Mail"
* LIST (\HasNoChildren) "/" Notes
* LIST (\HasNoChildren) "/" Outbox
* LIST (\HasNoChildren) "/" Sent
* LIST (\HasNoChildren) "/" "Sent Items"
* LIST (\HasNoChildren) "/" Tasks
* LIST (\HasNoChildren) "/" Trash
? OK LIST completed.

* BYE Connection closed. 14
Connection closed by foreign host.
varunb@varun:~>

Last edited by varunb; 03-02-2012 at 12:41 AM.
 
Old 03-03-2012, 05:36 PM   #8
TB0ne
Guru
 
Registered: Jul 2003
Location: Birmingham, Alabama
Distribution: SuSE, RedHat, Slack,CentOS
Posts: 15,071

Rep: Reputation: 2712Reputation: 2712Reputation: 2712Reputation: 2712Reputation: 2712Reputation: 2712Reputation: 2712Reputation: 2712Reputation: 2712Reputation: 2712Reputation: 2712
Quote:
Originally Posted by varunb View Post
ok. well opened this thread where answer to the topic continues and also if others faces this kinda problem,
they can easily find the answers as well(while googlin too)!!!!

and about the telnet, oooopzz there should have been logs rite???at the client side also!!!!
No, there aren't client logs for telnet, anymore than there are for FTP, SSH, etc. Logs are maintained for SERVER components, not clients. The only way you would ever get any sort of client-side log, is if you ran the command through sudo.
Quote:
I refered this below URL

http://support.microsoft.com/kb/189326

Yes i am tryin to connect to IMAP server, and i was just testing my user login!!! actually i was not able to login through thunderbird email client!!! i was getting a error like login to exchange server failed!!! so i was trying to telnet the same username!!! but it was not happenin!!! And also i found out a strange issuse of this cause, it was through our office firewall!!!

anywayz now its workin and also telnet is happenin!!!
Again, please spell out your words. And it would have been nice if you bothered to provide this information to begin with, such as the firewall being in place, what you were trying to test, etc. All you posted initially was you were trying to telnet to port 143, and it failed after initial connection.
 
  


Reply

Tags
networking


Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is Off
HTML code is Off


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Unable to telnet to Linux Host inspite of installing telnet-server RPM - Need Help sinamdar Linux - Software 7 04-11-2009 08:09 AM
linux operating system built-in telnet command can use "VT400" function keys and key? hocheetiong Linux - Newbie 1 05-27-2008 03:54 PM
telnet supplying arguments to telnet command nasirdaudahmad Linux - Networking 2 04-22-2007 04:12 AM
remote command execute telnet with 1 command MPowers Linux - Networking 2 06-30-2005 07:31 AM


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 09:31 PM.

Main Menu
Advertisement
My LQ
Write for LQ
LinuxQuestions.org is looking for people interested in writing Editorials, Articles, Reviews, and more. If you'd like to contribute content, let us know.
Main Menu
Syndicate
RSS1  Latest Threads
RSS1  LQ News
Twitter: @linuxquestions
identi.ca: @linuxquestions
Facebook: linuxquestions Google+: linuxquestions
Open Source Consulting | Domain Registration