ok, this is an odd problem with no good leads... PLEASE help if you can
This started happening a while ago. ftpd worked fine, then after very little rearrangement, it stopped working completely. That probably means that whatever happened was really subtle
[root] /etc # ftp localhost
Connected to catharsis.
421 Service not available, remote server has closed connection
and what I know:
- Telnet works just fine in the same manner
- ftpd is installed
- inetd is watching for ftpd, and is listening on port 21
- nothing is out of order with hosts.deny
- loopback 127.0.0.1 is configured and active
- localhost is configured to be loopback
- RTFM doesn't work, because there's nothing in TFM
- Linuxquestions backlogs had many similarly vague problems, but no good answers.
- The installation isn't corrupted, because I just uninstalled and reinstalled.
I'm running a Debian distro.
If you think of ANYTHING that's not covered above, then please tell me! I need to try any sane idea
Also, ask for any file you want posted, I'll be watching.