I have been trying to install Linux to my laptop since I got it but without any success.
There are plenty information about installing Linux in this kind of conditions -- but I find information confusing, hard to understand or it just doesn't work.
So, so far I have done these things:
1. Made standard Slackware 14 installation from USB drive, no problems there. Made partitions with 'gdisk' of type 'fat'. One for root and one for home.
2. Have been trying to boot this installation by using: supergrubdisk/
, Slackware installation USB drive (passing custom command 'boot: hugesmp.s root=/dev/sda7/ rdinit=ro' and without rdinit=ro, getting kernel panic).
With GRUB super disk same thing, 'not syncing VFS....' and 'init not found.....'
3. Installed Ubuntu with 'WUBI', it looked promising but after rebooting I got error message saying that 'somefileidontremember.efi' is missing.
4. Installed 'elilo' -- LILO for EFI but wasn't able to make it work, it just didn't work at all.
5. Have heard about GRUB2, but as far as I readed instructions, I find everything too advanced and confusing
I really don't care about distribution (no Ubuntu), just want to successfully boot Linux up.
I'm also cool booting Linux from usb drive.