1) You'll need to install the tethering software on the motoq (make sure you have the latest updates for the motoq ... there were some problems here that I can't remember). I installed the latest updates and the DUN tethering software using the cd that came with the phone (docked to a winxp machine) and going to the motoq sites. Btw you'll need an internet account for this to work.
2) Switch your motoq to tethering mode and connect it to your machine.
3) You'll need to use a PPP client. For Ubuntu I use kppp which can be downloaded in the add/remove software menu option.
4) Start a terminal session and do a ls /dev/ttyA*
This will be the device name of the motoq. Write it down. Sometimes this changes so you may have to repeat this step if you disconnect your phone
5) In Kppp add a new modem and point the device to the one listed in step (4)
6) On the modem screen make sure to uncheck the lock file option. Also reduce the connection speed to 230400.
7) Create a new account, and use email@example.com
as the user name, #777 for the phone number, and vzw as the password. This works for verizon. you'll have to search for your own carrier's options otherwise. Also set the connection rate down to
8) In a terminal session do a sudo vi /etc/ppp/options and put a # in front of the lines that say lcp and lock
9) Connect and enjoy!
Thanks to Karim Garza for doing my work while I work on this at work