LinuxQuestions.org
View the Most Wanted LQ Wiki articles.
Go Back   LinuxQuestions.org > Forums > Linux Forums > Linux - Hardware > Linux - Embedded & Single-board computer
User Name
Password
Linux - Embedded & Single-board computer This forum is for the discussion of Linux on both embedded devices and single-board computers (such as the Raspberry Pi, BeagleBoard and PandaBoard). Discussions involving Arduino, plug computers and other micro-controller like devices are also welcome.

Notices

Reply
 
Search this Thread
Old 01-05-2014, 01:03 PM   #1
smeezekitty
Senior Member
 
Registered: Sep 2009
Location: Washington U.S.
Distribution: M$ Windows / Debian / Ubuntu / DSL / many others
Posts: 2,230

Rep: Reputation: 173Reputation: 173
RaspberryPi: Cannot get raspbian distros to work right


I recently got a raspberry pi device. First of all I must say that it has been nothing but pure trouble from the beginning.
Problems every step of the way

I finally got a reasonably working OS on it, but apt-get will not work.

When I try for example apt-get install links2
I get this:
Code:
Building package lists... Done
Building dependency tree
Reading state information Done
The following extra packages will be installed:
libdirectfb-1.2-9 libgpm2 libjpeg8 libsvga1 libtiff4 libts-0.0-0 libx11-6 libx11-data libxau6 libxcb1 libxdmcp6 tsconf
Suggested packages:
gpm
The following new packages will be installed:
libdirectfb-1.2-9 libgpm2 libjpeg8 libsvga1 libtiff4 libts-0.0-0 libx11-6 libx11-data libxau6 libxcb1 libxdmcp6 links2 tsconf
0 upgraded, 13 newly installed, 0 to remove and 0 not upgraded.
Need to get 3220 kB/4754 kB of archives.
After this operation, 9395 kB of additional disk space will be used.
Do you want to continue [Y/n]? y
Err http://mirrordirector.raspbian.org/raspbian/ wheezy/main libtiff4 armhf 3.9.6-6
    404 Not found
Err http://mirrordirector.raspbian.org/raspbian/ wheezy/main libxcb1 armhf 1.8.1-1
    404 Not found
Err http://mirrordirector.raspbian.org/raspbian/ wheezy/main libx11-data all 2:1.5.0-1
    404 Not found
Err http://mirrordirector.raspbian.org/raspbian/ wheezy/main libx11-6 armhf 2:1.5.0-1
    404 Not found
Err http://mirrordirector.raspbian.org/raspbian/ wheezy/main links2 armhf 2.7-1
    404 Not found
Failed to fetch http://mirrordirector.raspbian.org/raspbian/pool/main/t/tiff3/libtiff4_3.9.6-6_armhf.deb 404  Not Found
E: Unable to fetch archives, maybe run apt-get update to try with --fix-missing?
apt-get update succeeds but does not fix the problem.

Then I changed the default repo URL from mirrordirector.raspbian.org to archive.raspbian.org

Now when I do apt-get update it hangs up on 100% [2 PACKAGES BZIP2 0 B]
for about 5 minutes before finally spitting this out:
Code:
Fetched 7535 kB in 10 min 24s (12.1 kB/s)
W: Failed to fetch bzip2:/var/lib/apt/lists/partial/mirror.raspberrypi.org_raspbian_dists_wheezy_main_binary_armhf_Packages Hash sum mismatch

W: Failed to fetch bzip2:/var/lib/apt/lists/partial/mirror.raspberrypi.org_raspbian_dists_wheezy_contrib_binary_armhf_Packages Hash sum mismatch

W: Failed to fetch bzip2:/var/lib/apt/lists/partial/mirror.raspberrypi.org_raspbian_dists_wheezy_non-free_binary_armhf_Packages Hash sum mismatch

E: Some index files failed to download. They have been ignored, or old ones used instead.
And so far, I have not found a solution through the RPI support system so I thought that I might as well ask here.

package managers sure are a big pain I must say
 
Old 01-05-2014, 03:35 PM   #2
lleb
Senior Member
 
Registered: Dec 2005
Location: Florida
Distribution: CentOS/Fedora
Posts: 2,555

Rep: Reputation: 463Reputation: 463Reputation: 463Reputation: 463Reputation: 463
sounds like both a corrupt install of the OS and a misconfigured manager for apt. i personally never had good luck with RaspBian as it both crashed and took hours to install. In fact the Only OS for my RPi that ive had any success with is RaspBMC. works great for me as I use my RPi as a media server to my TV in the living room.

I would not use the archive.raspbian.org for your apt as that will not have anything current and thus your hash sum mismatch. your system is more up to date then what is in the archive, thus the hashes will never match.

http://www.raspbian.org/RaspbianRepository

see if that link helps any.
 
Old 01-05-2014, 03:52 PM   #3
smeezekitty
Senior Member
 
Registered: Sep 2009
Location: Washington U.S.
Distribution: M$ Windows / Debian / Ubuntu / DSL / many others
Posts: 2,230

Original Poster
Rep: Reputation: 173Reputation: 173
Quote:
Originally Posted by lleb View Post
sounds like both a corrupt install of the OS and a misconfigured manager for apt. i personally never had good luck with RaspBian as it both crashed and took hours to install. In fact the Only OS for my RPi that ive had any success with is RaspBMC. works great for me as I use my RPi as a media server to my TV in the living room.

I would not use the archive.raspbian.org for your apt as that will not have anything current and thus your hash sum mismatch. your system is more up to date then what is in the archive, thus the hashes will never match.

http://www.raspbian.org/RaspbianRepository

see if that link helps any.
Well its not even a standard raspbian distro.
The OS I am using is http://www.cnx-software.com/2012/07/...-raspberry-pi/

The reason is because I am stuck on this tiny 1 GB SD card because for some reason the RPI will not boot from my 4 GB card
I guess I will need to find a larger SD card that it will boot from. So temperamental...

And the link you posted is where I got the idea to set the the repo to archive.raspbian.org because it claims that
is the "offical" repo

I am so confused....
 
Old 01-07-2014, 07:16 AM   #4
onebuck
Moderator
 
Registered: Jan 2005
Location: Midwest USA, Central Illinois
Distribution: SlackwareŽ
Posts: 11,281
Blog Entries: 3

Rep: Reputation: 1446Reputation: 1446Reputation: 1446Reputation: 1446Reputation: 1446Reputation: 1446Reputation: 1446Reputation: 1446Reputation: 1446Reputation: 1446
Moderator Response

Moved: This thread is more suitable in <Linux - Embedded & Single-board computer> and has been moved accordingly to help your thread/question get the exposure it deserves.
 
Old 01-07-2014, 01:03 PM   #5
lleb
Senior Member
 
Registered: Dec 2005
Location: Florida
Distribution: CentOS/Fedora
Posts: 2,555

Rep: Reputation: 463Reputation: 463Reputation: 463Reputation: 463Reputation: 463
Quote:
Originally Posted by smeezekitty View Post
Well its not even a standard raspbian distro.
The OS I am using is http://www.cnx-software.com/2012/07/...-raspberry-pi/

The reason is because I am stuck on this tiny 1 GB SD card because for some reason the RPI will not boot from my 4 GB card
I guess I will need to find a larger SD card that it will boot from. So temperamental...

And the link you posted is where I got the idea to set the the repo to archive.raspbian.org because it claims that
is the "offical" repo

I am so confused....
the ONLY official OS for the RPi is raspbian.

if you are using a fork, then you will have to use the forks repos.

also it would be a good idea to invest in a known good working SD class 10 card. anything from 8-64G will be large enough. the 4G might even be to small. again i use a different OS for my RPi as i only use my RPi for a media server for my family connected to my NFS server running CentOS 6.4
 
Old 01-07-2014, 01:19 PM   #6
smeezekitty
Senior Member
 
Registered: Sep 2009
Location: Washington U.S.
Distribution: M$ Windows / Debian / Ubuntu / DSL / many others
Posts: 2,230

Original Poster
Rep: Reputation: 173Reputation: 173
Quote:
Moved: This thread is more suitable in <Linux - Embedded & Single-board computer> and has been moved accordingly to help your thread/question get the exposure it deserves.
Hey thanks I looked for an embedded section but couldn't find it


Quote:
Originally Posted by lleb View Post
the ONLY official OS for the RPi is raspbian.

if you are using a fork, then you will have to use the forks repos.

also it would be a good idea to invest in a known good working SD class 10 card. anything from 8-64G will be large enough. the 4G might even be to small. again i use a different OS for my RPi as i only use my RPi for a media server for my family connected to my NFS server running CentOS 6.4
Well I don't think the fork has repos It is just a stripped down version of raspbian.
I guess I will have to buy another SD card and hope it works.
 
Old 01-07-2014, 03:34 PM   #7
lleb
Senior Member
 
Registered: Dec 2005
Location: Florida
Distribution: CentOS/Fedora
Posts: 2,555

Rep: Reputation: 463Reputation: 463Reputation: 463Reputation: 463Reputation: 463
Quote:
Originally Posted by smeezekitty View Post
Hey thanks I looked for an embedded section but couldn't find it

Well I don't think the fork has repos It is just a stripped down version of raspbian.
I guess I will have to buy another SD card and hope it works.
if its just a custom installer then that could be the case, if not, then it will need its own repos.
 
  


Reply


Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is Off
HTML code is Off


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
automatize fbi as slideshow with crontable on RaspberryPi iv3oaw Linux - Newbie 4 01-01-2014 10:37 AM
Booting the raspberrypi from the USB pendrive rather than the SD Xeratul Linux - General 1 09-23-2012 05:04 AM
Does this work in all distros? Kubuntu Linux - Networking 5 01-08-2011 07:12 AM
Hardware compatible with one or more linux distros. Will it work on all other distros necromancer44 Linux - Hardware 2 06-07-2010 06:28 PM
No distros seem to work on my computer..please help. gejr Linux - Distributions 9 03-21-2007 09:38 AM


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 02:54 AM.

Main Menu
My LQ
Write for LQ
LinuxQuestions.org is looking for people interested in writing Editorials, Articles, Reviews, and more. If you'd like to contribute content, let us know.
Main Menu
Syndicate
RSS1  Latest Threads
RSS1  LQ News
Twitter: @linuxquestions
identi.ca: @linuxquestions
Facebook: linuxquestions Google+: linuxquestions
Open Source Consulting | Domain Registration