Nautilus taking too long to open external USB HDD
I have WD MyBook 500GB external USB HDD (FAT32). When I open it from Nautilus for the first time, it used to open soon. But all of a sudden, when I open it for the first time from Nautilus:
1. It takes about 50+ secs before I can do anything with the window.
2. Whole of Nautilus hangs till this is complete.
3. I know the mount is not taking this long because in the terminal I can do ls and see the files when this is going on.
4. iostat shows about 1900 block reads/sec on the HDD.
5. I used strace to figure out that a statfs64 done by Nautilus takes 50+ secs to return and is causing this problem.
Any idea how I could fix this? To me it looks like all the values returned by statfs64 are already available in the FAT32 Super block and not sure why so many reads are necessary.
I did a dosfsck and fixed some missing clusters and difference between original and backup super block. But the issue still exists. Any idea how I can remove this delay? Either thru speeding up statfs or by preventing nautilus from doing a statfs on the HDD.
Thanks for all the help.