Linux - DesktopThis forum is for the discussion of all Linux Software used in a desktop context.
Welcome to LinuxQuestions.org, a friendly and active Linux Community.
You are currently viewing LQ as a guest. By joining our community you will have the ability to post topics, receive our newsletter, use the advanced search, subscribe to threads and access many other special features. Registration is quick, simple and absolutely free. Join our community today!
Note that registered members see fewer ads, and ContentLink is completely disabled once you log in.
If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us. If you need to reset your password, click here.
Having a problem logging in? Please visit this page to clear all LQ-related cookies.
Introduction to Linux - A Hands on Guide
This guide was created as an overview of the Linux Operating System, geared toward new users as an exploration tour and getting started guide, with exercises at the end of each chapter.
For more advanced trainees it can be a desktop reference, and a collection of the base knowledge needed to proceed with system and network administration. This book contains many real life examples derived from the author's experience as a Linux system and network administrator, trainer and consultant. They hope these examples will help you to get a better understanding of the Linux system and that you feel encouraged to try out things on your own.
Click Here to receive this Complete Guide absolutely free.
I want to find out if there's anyone having the problems I describe below. By the way, I'm no Linux noob, the reason I'm asking here is my belief that if this were a common problem there would have been tons of web pages or bug reports about it but I can't find anything useful in Google. So I suspect that there is something wrong with my specific configuration.
As I don't use Facebook often, I can live without it, but in the recent days LQ's "Forum Tools" pull down menu stopped working, too. I was using it to mark all the messages as read, for example. Now when I click the link, instead of seeing a menu, I'm taken down to the bottom of the page where the menu entries are listed as links. And again, everything works as it should if I use Chromium.
And yes, I've confirmed this problem with all add-ons disabled (in safe mode), and I've even deleted my old ~/.mozilla/firefox directory to start over.
The weird thing is that I've seen the Facebook issue in Windows, too (haven't checked for LQ, though). So my problem may not be Linux-specific, but as I said, if Firefox had such a bug, huge numbers of people would notice it, but I can't find similar bug reports. Is it just me or what?
Although you've started in safe mode and deleted .mozilla/firefox, I wonder if creating a new Linux user account and testing in that would be informative.
I haven't seen such issues in recent versions of Firefox, specifically not here. But I recall seeing symptoms like that with vBulletin boards when the pages did not load completely. Either because the server was being slow (there were some issues at LQ a few weeks ago but none that I'm aware of now) or because of local network issues. The fact that you've seen issues on Windows too does suggest network issues to me.
Do you have any hosts redirection? Are you going through an http-caching proxy server? Do you have good quality internet speed, latency, jitter and packet loss?
I agree network problems are certainly not the only possible cause - but still possible. The page can appear loaded, but separate js files might be required and fail to load. It's possible that IE & Chromium have different behaviour in terms of retrying or not presenting the page at all if not all parts are available. And there's no guarantee that ADSL connections are good! They can have high attenuation or poor signal to noise ratio.
I'm quite sure the ADSL line is OK. One of the places I used my computer was only 200m away from the telecom company's local hub! The control panel of the ADSL modem I'm using right now doesn't report any packet errors.
And also, the "Forum Tools" menu here was working up until a few days ago. I don't remember if it stopped functioning at the same time as my upgrade to Slackware 14.0, but I was using the same Firefox version on Slackware 13.37 anyway.