LinuxQuestions.org
LinuxAnswers - the LQ Linux tutorial section.
Go Back   LinuxQuestions.org > Forums > Linux Forums > Linux - Desktop
User Name
Password
Linux - Desktop This forum is for the discussion of all Linux Software used in a desktop context.

Notices



Reply
 
Search this Thread
Old 11-14-2006, 04:50 PM   #31
poweredbydodge
Member
 
Registered: Oct 2006
Location: Buffalo, NY
Distribution: Servers: Scientific Linux 5.x // Desktops: Fedora Core (latest)
Posts: 110

Rep: Reputation: 15

Quote:
Originally Posted by zetabill
What is really all that different about the Chinese versions? (Specifically, I mean)

I looked over the differences and it just seems like that "Chinese" version is simply the windows version of the mplayer codecs. Both versions have a few files that the other doesn't have but most of them are the same.
You are correct - they are 'basically' the same... but not.

I do not know the little bits and pieces of 'why' the following is true, but it is: Certain laws in the United States and elsewhere prevent copyrighted (trade secret, proprietary) codecs (which, in this case, are created by the Windows developers) to be distributed legally. These laws or regulations are apparently not enforced in China.

Therefore, by downloading from a Chinese server, we are able to get the 'real' codecs.

The similar codecs available on the United States servers are open source codecs that try to do the same job as the actual 'real' Windows codecs. They do a good job, but sometimes they don't work for everything.

That is all the information that I have on the subject... after getting the "Chinese" codecs to work, I stopped researching the topic because it worked, so I didn't need any more information.

------------

Regarding Fedora Core 6...

I myself have actually just upgraded my workstation to FC6 -- my server, home theatre PC, and other machines still use FC5. I have, however, not worked with Mandrake, Suse, or any other distributions. I have only dealt with Red Had 7, Red Hat 9, Fedora Core 5 and 6.

My reasons for choosing Red Hat / FC is (in my opinion) ease of use and familiarity of gnome --- gnome under FC looks a lot like Windows.

I am sorry, but that is all that I can really tell you on the topic... Red Hat / FC worked for me, so I pretty much stopped looking for distrutions after that... its the whole "If it's not broke, don't fix it" mentality.
 
Old 11-14-2006, 04:58 PM   #32
Bruce Hill
HCL Maintainer
 
Registered: Jun 2003
Location: Tupelo, MS
Distribution: Gentoo
Posts: 6,926

Rep: Reputation: 124Reputation: 124
Originally posted by poweredbydodge
Quote:
These laws or regulations are apparently not enforced in China.
Since I live in the People's Republic of China, may I reply?

In China, copyright means 'the right to copy'. There is little respect
for the rights or properties of others. In the city where we live, you
can purchase *any* software (copy CD) for 3 RMB.
 
Old 11-15-2006, 09:06 AM   #33
param85047
Member
 
Registered: Oct 2006
Location: Himalayas`
Distribution: Trying with New Distros
Posts: 63

Original Poster
Rep: Reputation: 15
Only KDE

Quote:
Originally Posted by poweredbydodge
Regarding Fedora Core 6...

I myself have actually just upgraded my workstation to FC6 -- my server, home theatre PC, and other machines still use FC5. I have, however, not worked with Mandrake, Suse, or any other distributions. I have only dealt with Red Had 7, Red Hat 9, Fedora Core 5 and 6.

My reasons for choosing Red Hat / FC is (in my opinion) ease of use and familiarity of gnome --- gnome under FC looks a lot like Windows.

I am sorry, but that is all that I can really tell you on the topic... Red Hat / FC worked for me, so I pretty much stopped looking for distrutions after that... its the whole "If it's not broke, don't fix it" mentality.

Sorry but I only like Kde as I have tried both but my liking went on to KDE and What I read at wikipedia and as per ur reply is Fedora Core is Gnome and none of the Linux Distro works for me fully (presently Installed Open Suse 10.1 but no GUI or Display, I think my monitor is not supporting 1024*768 or something and it is trying for the same sd no display, can u tell me how to convert it to 800*600) so Im trying various distros But liked Mandriva 2007 as it is KDE and I have ubuntu (But unable to enable KDE) where as Kubuntu has KDE by default(What I have heard) but I don't have kubuntu. So it is still in trial and error. What I felt is Linux still needs some time (2yrs) to penetrate in a desktop os market (PC OS)for a common user. U all may not agree with my Thinking.

Thanking U all
Param
 
Old 11-15-2006, 12:05 PM   #34
poweredbydodge
Member
 
Registered: Oct 2006
Location: Buffalo, NY
Distribution: Servers: Scientific Linux 5.x // Desktops: Fedora Core (latest)
Posts: 110

Rep: Reputation: 15
Param,

Fedora can use either Gnome or KDE (or even both, with a tool that allows you to switch between the two). This choice can be made during installation.

As far as how to change resolution... I only know how to do that from within the gui... which I don't suppose you'd be able to do if you can't get the gui to load.
 
Old 11-16-2006, 04:11 AM   #35
param85047
Member
 
Registered: Oct 2006
Location: Himalayas`
Distribution: Trying with New Distros
Posts: 63

Original Poster
Rep: Reputation: 15
Thank U

Quote:
Originally Posted by poweredbydodge
Param,

Fedora can use either Gnome or KDE (or even both, with a tool that allows you to switch between the two). This choice can be made during installation.

As far as how to change resolution... I only know how to do that from within the gui... which I don't suppose you'd be able to do if you can't get the gui to load.
Thank U as I was not knowing that u can select the option while installation itself. if it so then I'll definately give it a try. Another thing with FC is it does not detect my all other OSes, although it gives the option to add them. Anyhow I'll definately give a try to FC.

Thanking u for all ur support & kind advice
 
Old 11-16-2006, 08:46 AM   #36
limeylew
Member
 
Registered: Aug 2005
Location: Texas
Distribution: Mepis 3.3.2 Ubuntu 5.10
Posts: 60

Rep: Reputation: 15
Beginers guide

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bruce Hill

WOW !!!!

What a great resource. Many thanks.

Last edited by limeylew; 11-16-2006 at 02:12 PM.
 
Old 11-16-2006, 08:49 AM   #37
Bruce Hill
HCL Maintainer
 
Registered: Jun 2003
Location: Tupelo, MS
Distribution: Gentoo
Posts: 6,926

Rep: Reputation: 124Reputation: 124
You're welcome. If I spent as much time reading them as LQ threads ...
 
Old 11-16-2006, 08:58 AM   #38
limeylew
Member
 
Registered: Aug 2005
Location: Texas
Distribution: Mepis 3.3.2 Ubuntu 5.10
Posts: 60

Rep: Reputation: 15
Since you like KDE

Quote:
Originally Posted by param85047
Sorry but I only like Kde as I have tried both but my liking went on to KDE and What I read at wikipedia and as per ur reply is Fedora Core is Gnome and none of the Linux Distro works for me fully (presently Installed Open Suse 10.1 but no GUI or Display, I think my monitor is not supporting 1024*768 or something and it is trying for the same sd no display, can u tell me how to convert it to 800*600) so Im trying various distros But liked Mandriva 2007 as it is KDE and I have ubuntu (But unable to enable KDE) where as Kubuntu has KDE by default(What I have heard) but I don't have kubuntu. So it is still in trial and error. What I felt is Linux still needs some time (2yrs) to penetrate in a desktop os market (PC OS)for a common user. U all may not agree with my Thinking.

Thanking U all
Param
Maybe you would like to try SimplyMEPIS.

http://www.mepis.org/

Additional support is here:-

http://www.mepislovers.com/forums/index.php

Hope this helps you.

Last edited by limeylew; 11-16-2006 at 02:13 PM.
 
Old 11-16-2006, 10:51 AM   #39
param85047
Member
 
Registered: Oct 2006
Location: Himalayas`
Distribution: Trying with New Distros
Posts: 63

Original Poster
Rep: Reputation: 15
Sorry

Quote:
Originally Posted by limeylew
Maybe you would like to try SimplyMEPIS.

http://www.mepis.org/

Additional support is here:-

http://www.mepislovers.com/forums/index.php

Hope this helps you.

Lewis.

*****
Dear Sir,
This is not free and the free version may not provide all the softwares but I'd surely give a try to it.

Thank U
Param
 
Old 11-18-2006, 09:02 AM   #40
param85047
Member
 
Registered: Oct 2006
Location: Himalayas`
Distribution: Trying with New Distros
Posts: 63

Original Poster
Rep: Reputation: 15
Thank U

Quote:
Originally Posted by limeylew
Maybe you would like to try SimplyMEPIS.

http://www.mepis.org/

Additional support is here:-

http://www.mepislovers.com/forums/index.php

Hope this helps you.
Dear Friend,
Thank U I've tried(Installed) SimplyMepis 6 and I must say that It is going on smooth presently but lot of dependency problem.

I'll inform u later as I proceed in Mepis
 
  


Reply


Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is Off
HTML code is Off


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
DISCUSSION: Howto install win32 codecs on x86_64 architecture sleepyrob LinuxAnswers Discussion 1 09-29-2006 07:05 AM
How do I install Win32 codecs perrywillis@cox.net Suse/Novell 18 04-01-2006 07:12 AM
SUSE 10.1beta8 How to install Win32 Codecs? raid517 Suse/Novell 5 03-27-2006 07:44 AM
Win32 Codecs dudeman41465 Mandriva 14 02-22-2006 05:37 PM
Win32 Codecs raysr Mandriva 9 02-13-2005 02:05 AM


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 07:19 PM.

Main Menu
Advertisement
My LQ
Write for LQ
LinuxQuestions.org is looking for people interested in writing Editorials, Articles, Reviews, and more. If you'd like to contribute content, let us know.
Main Menu
Syndicate
RSS1  Latest Threads
RSS1  LQ News
Twitter: @linuxquestions
identi.ca: @linuxquestions
Facebook: linuxquestions Google+: linuxquestions
Open Source Consulting | Domain Registration