LinuxQuestions.org
Visit the LQ Articles and Editorials section
Go Back   LinuxQuestions.org > Forums > Non-*NIX Forums > General
User Name
Password
General This forum is for non-technical general discussion which can include both Linux and non-Linux topics. Have fun!

Notices

Reply
 
Search this Thread
Old 01-30-2011, 10:01 AM   #466
MTK358
LQ 5k Club
 
Registered: Sep 2009
Posts: 6,443
Blog Entries: 3

Rep: Reputation: 713Reputation: 713Reputation: 713Reputation: 713Reputation: 713Reputation: 713Reputation: 713

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kenny_Strawn View Post
Well, distros like Ubuntu, Mint, and Fedora make that easy: From the graphical installer, you have the option to select *your* time zone from a "time globe". There. You've just selected *your* time zone.

I think the problem with Barney Rubble is that he chose Slackware or Arch as a newbie instead of an easier distro.
You don't understand. Linux knows your time zone, and the time is shown in local time, even in advanced distros like Arch.

But the system clock (the chip on the mobo that counts time, that has the coin cell battery to keep it going during a power outage) is assumed to be set to Greenwich time in Linux. It adds/subtracts your time zone from this to display your local time.

On the other hand, Windows assumes it's set to your local time.
 
Old 01-30-2011, 03:59 PM   #467
ewsmith
Member
 
Registered: Oct 2010
Location: Weesatche, Texas
Distribution: Slackware
Posts: 72

Rep: Reputation: 7
I keep seeing 'Microsoft this' 'Microsoft that.
I thought this was a Linux v Windows thread, not a
Microsoft v GNU thread. o.o

To me, Linux is much better because it comes with
essential programming utensils. Whereas in Windows,
you have to find them and install them.
 
Old 01-30-2011, 04:08 PM   #468
silvyus_06
Member
 
Registered: Oct 2010
Distribution: Ubuntu 10.04 , Linux Mint Debian Edition , Microsoft Windows 7
Posts: 386

Rep: Reputation: 49
@Barney_Rubble and if windows is that good with each new release that's why you use a 10 year old operating system? LOL
 
Old 01-30-2011, 04:10 PM   #469
Barney Rubble
LQ Newbie
 
Registered: Jan 2011
Posts: 1

Rep: Reputation: Disabled
UPDATE- Trying Again

First, my main distro was/is Ubuntu. Just a quick rundown, here...

Started in Sept '06 with 6.06/WinXP which worked flawlessly with Gnome and KDE. Upgraded to 8.04 in Oct '08... no Grub menu, and therefore, no Windows. Ubuntu froze with a blank black screen with white cursor, but no keyboard, mouse, etc. Reinstalled 6.06 then did fresh install of 8.04. Gnome screensavers didn't work. Got the same multi-colored dotted horizontal lines. Installed KDE. Config changes didn't do anything, and I didn't have "permission" to use the sound with KDE games or music CDs. Used Gnome with Pictures Folder screensaver until Nov '10. Upgraded PC and installed 10.04. Grub2 broke the MBR. Couldn't boot anything. Reinstalled Windows, installed a second HDD for Ubuntu, unplugged the Windows drive during installation and used the BIOS "Boot Drive" setting to switch between the two. Encountered the aforementioned problems in my earlier posts.

After venting my frustration, I realized I had to try again. I WILL NOT upgrade Windows from XP just to spend $500+ on yet another upgraded version of the same games. Once support for XP expires, Windows will only be an offline gaming OS.

So, today I installed 8.04 on my newer PC. So far, I've installed all updates, restricted extras and other software, and have changed configurations to my liking; I've also rebooted into Windows and back several times, all with no problems...

*Jeebizz*: For your entertainment...

Quote:
Originally Posted by tiredofbilkyyaforallican View Post
Ok Barney Rubble or is it Fife? if you want to go back to M$ nobody is stopping you.... Come to think of it, It was Fred Flinstone with the big mouth!
This is one glaring example of how immature and unfriendly some can be here at LQ.

As for Kenny_Strawn and the rest who allowed me to rant and even tried to offer suggestions over the past couple days... THANK YOU for your patience and consideration.

Barney Rubble
 
Old 01-30-2011, 04:27 PM   #470
TobiSGD
Moderator
 
Registered: Dec 2009
Location: Hanover, Germany
Distribution: Main: Gentoo Others: What fits the task
Posts: 15,592
Blog Entries: 2

Rep: Reputation: 4046Reputation: 4046Reputation: 4046Reputation: 4046Reputation: 4046Reputation: 4046Reputation: 4046Reputation: 4046Reputation: 4046Reputation: 4046Reputation: 4046
Quote:
Originally Posted by Barney Rubble View Post
First, my main distro was/is Ubuntu. Just a quick rundown, here...

Started in Sept '06 with 6.06/WinXP which worked flawlessly with Gnome and KDE. Upgraded to 8.04 in Oct '08... no Grub menu, and therefore, no Windows. Ubuntu froze with a blank black screen with white cursor, but no keyboard, mouse, etc. Reinstalled 6.06 then did fresh install of 8.04. Gnome screensavers didn't work. Got the same multi-colored dotted horizontal lines. Installed KDE. Config changes didn't do anything, and I didn't have "permission" to use the sound with KDE games or music CDs. Used Gnome with Pictures Folder screensaver until Nov '10. Upgraded PC and installed 10.04. Grub2 broke the MBR. Couldn't boot anything. Reinstalled Windows, installed a second HDD for Ubuntu, unplugged the Windows drive during installation and used the BIOS "Boot Drive" setting to switch between the two. Encountered the aforementioned problems in my earlier posts.

After venting my frustration, I realized I had to try again. I WILL NOT upgrade Windows from XP just to spend $500+ on yet another upgraded version of the same games. Once support for XP expires, Windows will only be an offline gaming OS.

So, today I installed 8.04 on my newer PC. So far, I've installed all updates, restricted extras and other software, and have changed configurations to my liking; I've also rebooted into Windows and back several times, all with no problems...
May I ask why you didn't try a different distro than Ubuntu, if you have such problems with it? The decreasing quality of Ubuntu (and the way Canonical goes in general) have led me to give Debian a try, and it works perfectly fine. You can't measure the quality of Linux with only one distro. I see that you only seem to use versions with long time support, so I would recommend to give CentOS, Slackware, Debian or Scientific Linux a try, that are those distros that come to my mind when I think about long time support.
 
Old 01-30-2011, 05:02 PM   #471
Kenny_Strawn
Senior Member
 
Registered: Feb 2010
Location: /usa/ca/orange_county/lake_forest
Distribution: ArchBang, Google Android 2.1 + Motoblur (on Motortola Flipside), Google Chrome OS (on Cr-48)
Posts: 1,791
Blog Entries: 62

Rep: Reputation: 54
Quote:
Originally Posted by Barney Rubble View Post
First, my main distro was/is Ubuntu. Just a quick rundown, here...

Started in Sept '06 with 6.06/WinXP which worked flawlessly with Gnome and KDE. Upgraded to 8.04 in Oct '08... no Grub menu, and therefore, no Windows. Ubuntu froze with a blank black screen with white cursor, but no keyboard, mouse, etc. Reinstalled 6.06 then did fresh install of 8.04. Gnome screensavers didn't work. Got the same multi-colored dotted horizontal lines. Installed KDE. Config changes didn't do anything, and I didn't have "permission" to use the sound with KDE games or music CDs. Used Gnome with Pictures Folder screensaver until Nov '10. Upgraded PC and installed 10.04. Grub2 broke the MBR. Couldn't boot anything. Reinstalled Windows, installed a second HDD for Ubuntu, unplugged the Windows drive during installation and used the BIOS "Boot Drive" setting to switch between the two. Encountered the aforementioned problems in my earlier posts.

After venting my frustration, I realized I had to try again. I WILL NOT upgrade Windows from XP just to spend $500+ on yet another upgraded version of the same games. Once support for XP expires, Windows will only be an offline gaming OS.

So, today I installed 8.04 on my newer PC. So far, I've installed all updates, restricted extras and other software, and have changed configurations to my liking; I've also rebooted into Windows and back several times, all with no problems...

*Jeebizz*: For your entertainment...



This is one glaring example of how immature and unfriendly some can be here at LQ.

As for Kenny_Strawn and the rest who allowed me to rant and even tried to offer suggestions over the past couple days... THANK YOU for your patience and consideration.

Barney Rubble
Well, Ubuntu is becoming increasingly unstable, and Fedora is no help when it comes to that either. Luckily, however, Linux Mint seems to fix most of the bugs Ubuntu introduces, despite being based on Ubuntu. Thankfully, however, if you don't want to try anything Ubuntu-based, there is a Debian-based version that is more up-to-date (albeit with more problems, especially with package management).

Ubuntu 8.04 also won't be supported for very long, however, either, with support ending in April. It seems you only like LTS versions. In that case, you can try Mint 9 LTS; it is the newest LTS version of Mint (based on Ubuntu 10.04 [Lucid] but fixes its bugs) that will be supported for longer.

Last edited by Kenny_Strawn; 01-30-2011 at 05:14 PM. Reason: Found out that Ubuntu 10.04 didn't work for Barney Rubble; in that case I am only suggesting Mint 9
 
Old 01-30-2011, 05:08 PM   #472
MrCode
Member
 
Registered: Aug 2009
Location: Oregon, USA
Distribution: Arch
Posts: 864
Blog Entries: 31

Rep: Reputation: 148Reputation: 148
Quote:
It seems you only like LTS versions. In that case, you can try Ubuntu 10.04 LTS
Quote:
Originally Posted by Barney Rubble
Nov '10. Upgraded PC and installed 10.04. Grub2 broke the MBR. Couldn't boot anything
Apparently he's already tried Lucid...
 
Old 01-30-2011, 05:13 PM   #473
Kenny_Strawn
Senior Member
 
Registered: Feb 2010
Location: /usa/ca/orange_county/lake_forest
Distribution: ArchBang, Google Android 2.1 + Motoblur (on Motortola Flipside), Google Chrome OS (on Cr-48)
Posts: 1,791
Blog Entries: 62

Rep: Reputation: 54
Quote:
Originally Posted by MrCode View Post
Apparently he's already tried Lucid...
Post edited to *only* Mint 9.
 
Old 01-30-2011, 05:23 PM   #474
Barney Rubble
LQ Newbie
 
Registered: Jan 2011
Posts: 1

Rep: Reputation: Disabled
Quote:
Originally Posted by TobiSGD View Post
May I ask why you didn't try a different distro than Ubuntu, if you have such problems with it? The decreasing quality of Ubuntu (and the way Canonical goes in general) have led me to give Debian a try, and it works perfectly fine. You can't measure the quality of Linux with only one distro. I see that you only seem to use versions with long time support, so I would recommend to give CentOS, Slackware, Debian or Scientific Linux a try, that are those distros that come to my mind when I think about long time support.
Fact is, I did try a few others- CentOS, Fedora, OpenSuSE, Puppy, Mint... I just didn't bother to mention them because I couldn't even get them to finish installing.
 
Old 01-30-2011, 05:26 PM   #475
MTK358
LQ 5k Club
 
Registered: Sep 2009
Posts: 6,443
Blog Entries: 3

Rep: Reputation: 713Reputation: 713Reputation: 713Reputation: 713Reputation: 713Reputation: 713Reputation: 713
Quote:
Originally Posted by Barney Rubble View Post
Fact is, I did try a few others- CentOS, Fedora, OpenSuSE, Puppy, Mint... I just didn't bother to mention them because I couldn't even get them to finish installing.
Must be some unusual hardware because with all of those you can pretty much successfully install it by repeatedly clicking on the Next key.
 
Old 01-30-2011, 05:42 PM   #476
Kenny_Strawn
Senior Member
 
Registered: Feb 2010
Location: /usa/ca/orange_county/lake_forest
Distribution: ArchBang, Google Android 2.1 + Motoblur (on Motortola Flipside), Google Chrome OS (on Cr-48)
Posts: 1,791
Blog Entries: 62

Rep: Reputation: 54
Well, if it came preinstalled with XPee, it could in fact be something from late 2001 -- a full 9.5 years ago.

Such hardware that came from way back then would have to be old, and if it had Windows for so long, the HDD or other hardware could be failing. I would suggest getting (or building, if you must, so that you don't have to give Microsoft money and so that you can also save your own money [when you build a computer you essentially get it wholesale]) a newer computer and *then* installing Linux on it.
 
Old 01-30-2011, 05:55 PM   #477
Barney Rubble
LQ Newbie
 
Registered: Jan 2011
Posts: 1

Rep: Reputation: Disabled
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kenny_Strawn View Post
Well, if it came preinstalled with XPee, it could in fact be something from late 2001 -- a full 9.5 years ago.

Such hardware that came from way back then would have to be old, and if it had Windows for so long, the HDD or other hardware could be failing. I would suggest getting (or building, if you must, so that you don't have to give Microsoft money and so that you can also save your own money [when you build a computer you essentially get it wholesale]) a newer computer and *then* installing Linux on it.
LOL... A little older yet, Kenny. 1999. Came with Win98 installed. Installed XP in '05. Win98 couldn't hold a candle to XP on it. I did mention ,however, that I upgraded to a newer PC last Nov. before trying 10.4.
 
Old 01-30-2011, 06:21 PM   #478
TobiSGD
Moderator
 
Registered: Dec 2009
Location: Hanover, Germany
Distribution: Main: Gentoo Others: What fits the task
Posts: 15,592
Blog Entries: 2

Rep: Reputation: 4046Reputation: 4046Reputation: 4046Reputation: 4046Reputation: 4046Reputation: 4046Reputation: 4046Reputation: 4046Reputation: 4046Reputation: 4046Reputation: 4046
May be you can open a new thread with an exact description with your hardware and what troubles you have installing, error-messages and so on.
May be we can help you with your issues.
 
Old 01-31-2011, 01:02 AM   #479
tiredofbilkyyaforallican
Member
 
Registered: Aug 2010
Location: 3rd rock from the sun
Distribution: LMDE/Peppermint/Mint 9,&10/along with a few others
Posts: 152

Rep: Reputation: 22
Barney Rubble: I am sorry if I hurt your feelings but just what are you trying to get at? I just find it very hard to believe so many problems could be possible with a reasonably good computer,unless you are downloading bad distros, burning the disks too fast, have a HDD that is on its way south, bad motherboard/Ram,or not partitioning quite correctly. How about opening a thread on what problems you seem to be facing...Ranting on and on is not going to get your computer working any better than it is ! If you tried as many distros as you claim that failed did you not feel something was wrong especially every one failing?

Last edited by tiredofbilkyyaforallican; 01-31-2011 at 01:17 AM.
 
Old 01-31-2011, 08:39 AM   #480
MTK358
LQ 5k Club
 
Registered: Sep 2009
Posts: 6,443
Blog Entries: 3

Rep: Reputation: 713Reputation: 713Reputation: 713Reputation: 713Reputation: 713Reputation: 713Reputation: 713
The reason some of use were rude is because we were almost certain you was either a troll or someone who made up their mind to hate Linux and will stubbornly and closed-mindedly refuse to think otherwise.

I mean, what would be your first impression if you saw this:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Barney Rubble View Post
Have fun with your tinker-toy OS... I have too much real work to do.
Or this, which is downright insulting:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Barney Rubble View Post
I consider myself the more intelligent one for using something that works.
 
  


Reply

Tags
64bit, cloud, linux, microsoft, windows


Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is Off
HTML code is Off


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
LXer: Tutorial: Four Easy Fun Useful Things You Can Do With Linux LXer Syndicated Linux News 0 09-30-2008 11:41 PM
LXer: KDE 4: The Shiny New Linux (and Windows) Desktop LXer Syndicated Linux News 0 09-17-2007 06:10 PM
media server or other fun things. doralsoral Linux - Software 1 11-05-2005 07:55 AM
most fun & excited things about Linux woranl Linux - General 2 07-27-2004 08:28 PM


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 03:03 PM.

Main Menu
My LQ
Write for LQ
LinuxQuestions.org is looking for people interested in writing Editorials, Articles, Reviews, and more. If you'd like to contribute content, let us know.
Main Menu
Syndicate
RSS1  Latest Threads
RSS1  LQ News
Twitter: @linuxquestions
identi.ca: @linuxquestions
Facebook: linuxquestions Google+: linuxquestions
Open Source Consulting | Domain Registration