I did the following to install the TrueType fonts from my Windows partition:
- copy them to /usr/X11R6/lib/X11/fonts/myfonts
- set up fonts.scale and fonts.dir using ttmkfdir
- added directory to /etc/fonts/local.conf
- added directory to /etc/X11/fs/config
- added directory to /etc/X11/XFConfig-4
- restarted xfs
- ran fc-cache
- restarted X
When I use GDK_USE_XFT=1 then the fonts show up in GNOME/Preferences/Fonts and xfontsel. They seem to use the freetype auto-hinting code, which is not terribly good. The fonts look great in Mozilla, though.
When I use GDK_USE_XFT=0 then the TrueType fonts are displaying using some extreme font-spacing. Since the font-rendering is much better this way I would prefer to use it. However, I have no clue why the font-spacing is so huge. What can be done about it?
I got above instructions from various sites, e.g. http://www.pl-forum.de/t_multimedia/...en-redhat.html