LinuxQuestions.org
Did you know LQ has a Linux Hardware Compatibility List?
Go Back   LinuxQuestions.org > Forums > Linux Forums > Linux - Distributions > Fedora
User Name
Password
Fedora This forum is for the discussion of the Fedora Project.

Notices

Reply
 
Search this Thread
Old 10-17-2013, 03:09 PM   #1
SharpyWarpy
Member
 
Registered: Feb 2003
Location: Florida
Distribution: Fedora 18
Posts: 862

Rep: Reputation: 90
How to play netflix streaming dvd?


How can I play Netflix streaming DVDs with Fedora 18? Is it even possible? I have 4gb ram and eight core 3ghz cpu. I'm on a home network with DSL internet connection. I will give more information if necessary. Thanks in advance.
 
Old 10-17-2013, 03:37 PM   #2
273
Senior Member
 
Registered: Dec 2011
Location: UK
Distribution: Debian Sid AMD64&i386, Raspbian Jessie, various VMs
Posts: 3,213

Rep: Reputation: 757Reputation: 757Reputation: 757Reputation: 757Reputation: 757Reputation: 757Reputation: 757
I hate to do the whole "let me google that for you" but, erm:
http://fedoraforum.org/forum/showthread.php?t=286230
http://how-to.wikia.com/wiki/How_to_...ly%29_in_Linux
 
Old 10-17-2013, 04:05 PM   #3
PTrenholme
Senior Member
 
Registered: Dec 2004
Location: Olympia, WA, USA
Distribution: Fedora, (K)Ubuntu
Posts: 4,147

Rep: Reputation: 330Reputation: 330Reputation: 330Reputation: 330
Well, I use Google Chrome as my main browser, and all I need to do is open the browser, go to the Netflex Web site, select what I want to see, and it plays. (Usually, I click "full screen" on when it starts.)

That should work for any browser.

Note that, when I really want to watch something, I do the above via my "home theater" device attached to my TV.)
 
Old 10-17-2013, 04:07 PM   #4
273
Senior Member
 
Registered: Dec 2011
Location: UK
Distribution: Debian Sid AMD64&i386, Raspbian Jessie, various VMs
Posts: 3,213

Rep: Reputation: 757Reputation: 757Reputation: 757Reputation: 757Reputation: 757Reputation: 757Reputation: 757
Quote:
Originally Posted by PTrenholme View Post
Well, I use Google Chrome as my main browser, and all I need to do is open the browser, go to the Netflex Web site, select what I want to see, and it plays. (Usually, I click "full screen" on when it starts.)

That should work for any browser.

Note that, when I really want to watch something, I do the above via my "home theater" device attached to my TV.)
Which country are you in? I was under the impression Netflix went Silerlight in the US recently as well as the EU?
 
Old 10-17-2013, 04:09 PM   #5
SharpyWarpy
Member
 
Registered: Feb 2003
Location: Florida
Distribution: Fedora 18
Posts: 862

Original Poster
Rep: Reputation: 90
Quote:
Originally Posted by PTrenholme View Post
Well, I use Google Chrome as my main browser, and all I need to do is open the browser, go to the Netflex Web site, select what I want to see, and it plays. (Usually, I click "full screen" on when it starts.)

That should work for any browser.

Note that, when I really want to watch something, I do the above via my "home theater" device attached to my TV.)
I'm using Firefox version 24.0. Netflix simply goes to a page listing system requirements when I click "Play" on these movies. Is DSL just not fast enough?
 
Old 10-17-2013, 04:11 PM   #6
Drakeo
Senior Member
 
Registered: Jan 2008
Location: Urbana IL
Distribution: Slackware, Slacko,
Posts: 2,455
Blog Entries: 3

Rep: Reputation: 182Reputation: 182
here is a video how to do it enjoy http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Tfte5su5DIA
netflix dashboard uses siverlight and not the native linux mono moonlight.
it has to be run through wine. as for chrome os it is a cloud based system your just running it from there computer and the data is set to you.

Last edited by Drakeo; 10-17-2013 at 04:20 PM. Reason: add moonlight
 
Old 10-17-2013, 04:48 PM   #7
SharpyWarpy
Member
 
Registered: Feb 2003
Location: Florida
Distribution: Fedora 18
Posts: 862

Original Poster
Rep: Reputation: 90
Quote:
Originally Posted by Drakeo View Post
here is a video how to do it enjoy http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Tfte5su5DIA
netflix dashboard uses siverlight and not the native linux mono moonlight.
it has to be run through wine. as for chrome os it is a cloud based system your just running it from there computer and the data is set to you.
I just installed Google Chrome and it insists I can't run as a root user. Bummer. Is there a work around for this? I get this in the error box:

"To run as root, you must specify an alternate --user-data-dir for storage of profile information."

So what user directory exactly is this?
Never mind, I ran --user-data-dir=/ray , which is my home directory. And it starts fine. But where is bookmarks tab?
Well darn, I still get the System Requirements page. Grr.. I'm using the latest stable release Google-Chrome browser. Is there a plugin I'm missing?

Last edited by SharpyWarpy; 10-17-2013 at 05:03 PM.
 
Old 10-17-2013, 04:55 PM   #8
273
Senior Member
 
Registered: Dec 2011
Location: UK
Distribution: Debian Sid AMD64&i386, Raspbian Jessie, various VMs
Posts: 3,213

Rep: Reputation: 757Reputation: 757Reputation: 757Reputation: 757Reputation: 757Reputation: 757Reputation: 757
Quote:
Originally Posted by SharpyWarpy View Post
I just installed Google Chrome and it insists I can't run as a root user. Bummer. Is there a work around for this? I get this in the error box:

"To run as root, you must specify an alternate --user-data-dir for storage of profile information."

So what user directory exactly is this?
If you know enough that you're fine running a browser as root why do you not know how to google the answer?
http://www.chromium.org/user-experie...data-directory
 
1 members found this post helpful.
Old 10-17-2013, 04:58 PM   #9
Drakeo
Senior Member
 
Registered: Jan 2008
Location: Urbana IL
Distribution: Slackware, Slacko,
Posts: 2,455
Blog Entries: 3

Rep: Reputation: 182Reputation: 182
well you can you just need to edit the start script but the fact is just create a user. Steam client was that way for me on my puppy machine and I just edited the startup scipt. If I was you I would not run as root on the net. You never know what you may click.

Thanks 273 for that I don't run netflix but your pointer will help me 6 months from now when I do.

Last edited by Drakeo; 10-17-2013 at 05:01 PM.
 
Old 10-17-2013, 05:15 PM   #10
SharpyWarpy
Member
 
Registered: Feb 2003
Location: Florida
Distribution: Fedora 18
Posts: 862

Original Poster
Rep: Reputation: 90
Quote:
Originally Posted by 273 View Post
If you know enough that you're fine running a browser as root why do you not know how to google the answer?
http://www.chromium.org/user-experie...data-directory
Well if you must know I prefer getting my answers here on these forums, partly to benefit other users so they don't have to Google all the time. Otherwise what good are these forums? I mean if we just go through Google all time?
 
Old 10-17-2013, 05:17 PM   #11
SharpyWarpy
Member
 
Registered: Feb 2003
Location: Florida
Distribution: Fedora 18
Posts: 862

Original Poster
Rep: Reputation: 90
Quote:
Originally Posted by Drakeo View Post
well you can you just need to edit the start script but the fact is just create a user. Steam client was that way for me on my puppy machine and I just edited the startup scipt. If I was you I would not run as root on the net. You never know what you may click.

Thanks 273 for that I don't run netflix but your pointer will help me 6 months from now when I do.
Thanks, I did, I created a regular user. If I can only get past that dreaded "System Requirements" page on Netflix. Using a regular user I get

"No protocol specified
(google-chrome:2874): Gtk-WARNING **: cannot open display: :0"

Last edited by SharpyWarpy; 10-17-2013 at 05:19 PM.
 
Old 10-17-2013, 05:22 PM   #12
273
Senior Member
 
Registered: Dec 2011
Location: UK
Distribution: Debian Sid AMD64&i386, Raspbian Jessie, various VMs
Posts: 3,213

Rep: Reputation: 757Reputation: 757Reputation: 757Reputation: 757Reputation: 757Reputation: 757Reputation: 757
Quote:
Originally Posted by SharpyWarpy View Post
Well if you must know I prefer getting my answers here on these forums, partly to benefit other users so they don't have to Google all the time. Otherwise what good are these forums? I mean if we just go through Google all time?
OK, the answer is:
Do not run your web browser as root unless you know exactly what you are doing. If you must do so refer to all the documentation of the browser and OS to ensure that you are doing so as safely as possible. the documentation can be found here:
http://www.chromium.org/user-experie...data-directory
In other words:
If you are knowledgeable enough to know that running your browser as root is the only choice you have then please post your reasoning and your security considerations here, otherwise please ask another more sensible question.
 
1 members found this post helpful.
Old 10-17-2013, 06:24 PM   #13
SharpyWarpy
Member
 
Registered: Feb 2003
Location: Florida
Distribution: Fedora 18
Posts: 862

Original Poster
Rep: Reputation: 90
Quote:
Originally Posted by 273 View Post
OK, the answer is:
Do not run your web browser as root unless you know exactly what you are doing. If you must do so refer to all the documentation of the browser and OS to ensure that you are doing so as safely as possible. the documentation can be found here:
http://www.chromium.org/user-experie...data-directory
In other words:
If you are knowledgeable enough to know that running your browser as root is the only choice you have then please post your reasoning and your security considerations here, otherwise please ask another more sensible question.
All right then thank you for your expertise.I have Firefox configured to warn me about possible malware sites. I've never had any problems and I run with root privelges since 1999. This because I hate not having complete control of all my files without su or sudo.

Last edited by SharpyWarpy; 10-17-2013 at 06:38 PM.
 
Old 10-18-2013, 01:15 AM   #14
273
Senior Member
 
Registered: Dec 2011
Location: UK
Distribution: Debian Sid AMD64&i386, Raspbian Jessie, various VMs
Posts: 3,213

Rep: Reputation: 757Reputation: 757Reputation: 757Reputation: 757Reputation: 757Reputation: 757Reputation: 757
Quote:
Originally Posted by SharpyWarpy View Post
All right then thank you for your expertise.I have Firefox configured to warn me about possible malware sites. I've never had any problems and I run with root privelges since 1999. This because I hate not having complete control of all my files without su or sudo.
One of the reasons not to run as root all the time is so you don't have complete control over all the files on the system all the time. If you're just mooving your music or photo collection around in Thunar or Dolphin (other file managers are available) then you can't do something silly like try to move your boot directory or double-clicking on the script that removes your wireless drivers that you keep around in case of emergency.
Of course, it's up to you how you use your system but if you've taken the decision to run Linux in a way it was not designed to be run then I would expect you to have done your homework and worked things like the Chrome command line switch out as part of that extensive homework.
 
Old 10-19-2013, 08:18 PM   #15
SharpyWarpy
Member
 
Registered: Feb 2003
Location: Florida
Distribution: Fedora 18
Posts: 862

Original Poster
Rep: Reputation: 90
I hate this thread seems to have mutated to "why not to run as root". This is insulting considering I've not had any problems at all from running as root for 14 years now. This should prove I know enough about doing this.
 
  


Reply


Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is Off
HTML code is Off


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
LXer: How to get Netflix streaming on Ubuntu 12.10 LXer Syndicated Linux News 0 12-10-2012 10:40 AM
[SOLVED] Netflix - Capture Streaming Movie? wmeler Linux - Software 2 11-03-2012 10:49 AM
LXer: Streaming Netflix on the Galaxy Tab 10.1 LXer Syndicated Linux News 0 09-12-2011 04:20 AM
[SOLVED] netflix streaming jibaro01 Linux - Newbie 3 03-08-2011 04:11 PM
Can't play the DVD correctly and difficulty in radio streaming depam Linux - Software 0 05-25-2006 09:41 AM


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 06:28 PM.

Main Menu
My LQ
Write for LQ
LinuxQuestions.org is looking for people interested in writing Editorials, Articles, Reviews, and more. If you'd like to contribute content, let us know.
Main Menu
Syndicate
RSS1  Latest Threads
RSS1  LQ News
Twitter: @linuxquestions
identi.ca: @linuxquestions
Facebook: linuxquestions Google+: linuxquestions
Open Source Consulting | Domain Registration