LinuxQuestions.org
Welcome to the most active Linux Forum on the web.
Home Forums Tutorials Articles Register
Go Back   LinuxQuestions.org > Forums > Linux Forums > Linux - Newbie
User Name
Password
Linux - Newbie This Linux forum is for members that are new to Linux.
Just starting out and have a question? If it is not in the man pages or the how-to's this is the place!

Notices

Search this Thread
Old 04-16-2024, 09:06 AM   #1
FingerBobber
LQ Newbie

Rep: Reputation: 0
Write-protected file with Extents attribute refuses to die (ubuntu)

gm ...newbie here struggling with something that should be easy.

I'm installing bitcoin core on linux (ubuntu), and have a problem overwriting a write-protected file (bitcoind.service). I've Googled and asked ChatGPT and searched the forum archive/FAQs. The solutions I've tried include the following ...but these haven't worked:

This does not work: sudo chmod +w filename
This does not work: sudo rm filename
This does not work: sudo rm -f filename
This does not work: rm -f filename

When I check via lsattr I get (something like): ---------------e------- bitcoind.service (I believe the 'e' stands for Extents).

Been at this for hours. Basically, my "bitcoind.service" file is faulty and when I recreated it I got "bitcoind.service.1". So I'm trying to replace "bitcoind.service" with "bitcoind.service.1"

Hope this makes sense. I'd appreciate any pointers - thanks in advance

Old 04-16-2024, 10:54 AM   #2
jayjwa

Distribution: Slackware, Termux

Rep: Reputation: 246Reputation: 246Reputation: 246
Likey something is re-creating the file on the fly. https://unix.stackexchange.com/quest...ute-from-linux

1 members found this post helpful.
Old 04-16-2024, 02:13 PM   #3
yancek
LQ Guru

Distribution: Slackware, Ubuntu, PCLinux,

Rep: Reputation: 2494Reputation: 2494Reputation: 2494Reputation: 2494Reputation: 2494Reputation: 2494Reputation: 2494Reputation: 2494Reputation: 2494Reputation: 2494Reputation: 2494
Posting "This does not work" is not going to get you much help. If you run the commands you mention, do you get any warning/error messages. If so, what are they and if not, what does happen?

Old 04-16-2024, 03:10 PM   #4
mw.decavia

Distribution: Slackware64-15 & Afterstep , oh my

Rep: Reputation: 8
What happens if you try to "sudo mv filename someotherdirectory" and then do a full shutdown/restart?

Quote:
Originally Posted by FingerBobber View Post
gm ...newbie here struggling with something that should be easy.

I'm installing bitcoin core on linux (ubuntu), and have a problem overwriting a write-protected file (bitcoind.service). I've Googled and asked ChatGPT and searched the forum archive/FAQs. The solutions I've tried include the following ...but these haven't worked:

This does not work: sudo chmod +w filename
This does not work: sudo rm filename
This does not work: sudo rm -f filename
This does not work: rm -f filename

When I check via lsattr I get (something like): ---------------e------- bitcoind.service (I believe the 'e' stands for Extents).

Been at this for hours. Basically, my "bitcoind.service" file is faulty and when I recreated it I got "bitcoind.service.1". So I'm trying to replace "bitcoind.service" with "bitcoind.service.1"

Hope this makes sense. I'd appreciate any pointers - thanks in advance

Old 04-17-2024, 01:29 AM   #5
FingerBobber
LQ Newbie

Original Poster
Hi @jayjwa, thanks for your reply. This is an interesting take and could be the issue or part of the issue.

Hi @yancek, thanks. The error messages I get are all about permissions. So for example typically mentioning a read-only file system, or Operation not permitted etc, or when I try to edit: [ Error writing bitcoind.service: Read-only file system]

Hi and thanks @mw.decavia ...I'll try this and fingers crossed it moves the file. I'll come back and reply either way.

Thanks again!

Old 04-17-2024, 02:12 AM   #6
FingerBobber
LQ Newbie

Original Poster
Update: I can't mv bitcoind.service as it's: Read-only file system

This is despite me having permissions: -rw-r--r-- 1 root root 2274

FURTHER UPDATE: After trying a number of other things, I decided it was time to shut the system down and restart.

This was an error. I should have archived-off Bitcoin Core (700GB) before shutting down, as Linux will now not start up. This has likely killed my schedule/roadmap. There is a way of starting Linux in safe mode - I've done this and it still won't load. There may be some other things I can try. I'll be doing this, but realise that it's beginning to look like going back to the beginning ...unless I can somehow reinstall Linux without losing Bitcoin Core. Thanks again

Last edited by FingerBobber; 04-17-2024 at 02:51 AM. Reason: Further Update

Old 04-17-2024, 11:32 PM   #7
chrism01
LQ Guru

Distribution: Rocky 9.2

Rep: Reputation: 2751Reputation: 2751Reputation: 2751Reputation: 2751Reputation: 2751Reputation: 2751Reputation: 2751Reputation: 2751Reputation: 2751Reputation: 2751Reputation: 2751
FYI, those perms you are showing are controlled by the chmod cmd (& ofc chown related).
However(!), filesystems 'perms ie r/w or ro, are the domain of the 'mount' cmd. ..

HTH

Old 04-18-2024, 06:38 AM   #8
yancek
LQ Guru

Distribution: Slackware, Ubuntu, PCLinux,

Rep: Reputation: 2494Reputation: 2494Reputation: 2494Reputation: 2494Reputation: 2494Reputation: 2494Reputation: 2494Reputation: 2494Reputation: 2494Reputation: 2494Reputation: 2494
Having an error message 'read-only filesystem' on what is not a 'live' system generally means a corrupted filesystem and running fsck with it's various options might help if it is a Linux filesystems. Then you would need to find out what caused the corruption if fsck repairs.