LinuxQuestions.org
Visit Jeremy's Blog.
Home Forums Tutorials Articles Register
Go Back   LinuxQuestions.org > Forums > Linux Forums > Linux - Newbie
User Name
Password
Linux - Newbie This Linux forum is for members that are new to Linux.
Just starting out and have a question? If it is not in the man pages or the how-to's this is the place!

Notices

Search this Thread
Old 02-01-2023, 09:04 PM   #1
GraemeRS

Rep: Reputation: 0
Putting Linux on an Android tablet.

Can I install Linux (Mint hopefully) on an old Samsung Android tablet?
If so, how?

Old 02-01-2023, 10:56 PM   #2
wpeckham
LQ Guru

Distribution: Debian, Ubuntu, RedHat, DSL, Puppy, CentOS, Knoppix, Mint-DE, Sparky, VSIDO, tinycore, Q4OS, Manjaro

Rep: Reputation: 2713Reputation: 2713Reputation: 2713Reputation: 2713Reputation: 2713Reputation: 2713Reputation: 2713Reputation: 2713Reputation: 2713Reputation: 2713Reputation: 2713
Quote:
Originally Posted by GraemeRS View Post
If so, how?
To look it up and find out of that were reasonable, we would need to know the model and configuration details.
(IF they are at factory default, that should be enough configuration detail if you have not installed a firmware patch or modified hardware.)

Personally, I just leave android on my android devices, and use other platforms to run Linux.

Old 02-02-2023, 02:04 PM   #3
jayjwa

Distribution: Slackware, Termux

Rep: Reputation: 250Reputation: 250Reputation: 250
You might be able to get Termux on it. If you don't have root that is OK because Termux is in user-space. If you do choose Termux, get the F-Droid version as the Google Play one is outdated. I have it on a couple Android phones, but I don't have a tablet. This way the system stays intact, and you can still have a Linux-like environment.

Old 02-02-2023, 04:53 PM   #4
jefro

Rep: Reputation: 3629Reputation: 3629Reputation: 3629Reputation: 3629Reputation: 3629Reputation: 3629Reputation: 3629Reputation: 3629Reputation: 3629Reputation: 3629Reputation: 3629
There has been some attempts to get a working mobile linux. Not sure if the old Ubuntu team has support for your device at UBports.
However unless you find some well documented web report then forget about it.

Old 02-02-2023, 05:04 PM   #5
xlfs-0.2

Rep: Reputation: 44
NO.... not linux running graphical interface... i would say no ...

Android requires chinese bins that Xorg does not have drivers for. However mesa has EXYNOS and linux kernel *might* have ?some Snapdragon support but i don't see mesa has snapdragon. I may not know all the aliases

building Android is something google does using Ubuntu (is what i read last year) - with the chinese bins, with "Android approval" if the build works perfectly you can "use the Android label". they may test it on ubuntu using android emulator. and no i'm not sure "they are hiding nothing or have dev tools they don't share". i know they advertise Android can be built using google+ubuntu

Now you MIGHT be asking "can I run a terminal". The ones available all "install a APK" which NEVER install bins (such as an xterm that could open on android and access the files directly). The APK install a sandbox that runs "unix in a safe chroot" that can only "telnet out of the phone" (likely not what your wanting?)

WHY? Because you cannot put "Android" on your APK or product if it "cracks the phone". You won't find APK that crack the phone because then they aren't allowed to use the name "for Android".

Therefore you'll find problems finding (bins) to upload to your (Samsung huawie) that run linux. According to "android authority" who authorize the trademark name: it runs linux kernel...

https://www.androidauthority.com/wha...ernel-3040697/

Running linux already per say So maybe don't worry? Make an APK instead?

Last edited by xlfs-0.2; 02-02-2023 at 05:17 PM.

Old 02-02-2023, 05:23 PM   #6
xlfs-0.2

Quote:
Originally Posted by GraemeRS View Post
If so, how?
There are a few Android articles documenting attempts to make tablets a usable "linux graphics terminal".

THEY ARE NOT SUCCESSFUL (unfinished not working). Currently if you buy a tablet (even a new one); you aren't going to be compiling android or linux or mysql on it.

Also any effort you put into such a project will be wasted since it will not "go forward" - you want this in new units consecutively.

If you really like the idea, I would connect with tablet making Android projects (at Google) and ask them. They will probably say "who's paying i hope you are funded - because our paying customers aren't looking for a "not Android (tm)" tablet that can compile ubu apps".

Another problem is if these tablets don't have the disk space memory and processing power ubuntu users "really want at the end of the day". And that certain unix features "aren't allowed in consumer units" to prevent (both hacking and damage of customers who are not ubuntu users).

Last edited by xlfs-0.2; 02-02-2023 at 05:25 PM.

Old 02-02-2023, 05:30 PM   #7
xlfs-0.2

My interest, personally, is I love the tablet Android linux idea: but i do NOT want ubuntu required. Has to be LFS, or google, windriver?, or equivalent. But not "ruled by a linux war competitor who can pull the rug out from under small developers" - which ubuntu (or redhat?) can be said to have done.

But i have to admit: such a tablet would not be something 99% of consumers would pay even a dime extra for. They would go for the one with a better wallpaper I might add!

Old 02-02-2023, 05:42 PM   #8
xlfs-0.2

My (fear) is more like ...

Android: build failed

Android: you must upgrade ubuntu to build the SDK

GOogle: you are not an employee you have no access to this folder

Ubuntu: Nvidia, Intel, and your sound card no longer supported - we #own you

Microsoft: we own GITHUB, our employees block your updates while putting in py farb by employees to "fight unix"

Last edited by xlfs-0.2; 02-02-2023 at 05:43 PM.

Old 02-02-2023, 10:05 PM   #9
wpeckham
LQ Guru

Distribution: Debian, Ubuntu, RedHat, DSL, Puppy, CentOS, Knoppix, Mint-DE, Sparky, VSIDO, tinycore, Q4OS, Manjaro

Rep: Reputation: 2713Reputation: 2713Reputation: 2713Reputation: 2713Reputation: 2713Reputation: 2713Reputation: 2713Reputation: 2713Reputation: 2713Reputation: 2713Reputation: 2713
There are Linux tablets that do not break the bank. PIN64 makes the Pinetab, for one, although that one is more for experimenters.

Old 02-03-2023, 02:27 AM   #10
GraemeRS

Original Poster
Rep: Reputation: 0
Thank you all,

The tablet is a Samsung Tab 4. Model SM-T530. Android 5.0.2 Patch 2017-02-01. Kernel 3.4.0-10780788.
It is basic and fills up with Google garbage really quickly.
I have reset it to factory but google and samsung seem interlinked and it won't let me set it up without google control and if I give it my account it fills up with syncing crap immediately. I have tried my Proton mail address for a new account but it won't admit the account. Maybe because I have not ticked the box to let them track me and upload my stats.
I just want it as a music streamer ( spotify etc.) and something for the grandkid's apps but also as an exercise in a google free zone.
I have escaped Microsoft crap on the laptop with Linuxmint (although I still have a gmail account on firefox because I haven't found anything to replace it. Proton mail charge but maybe that's the price of google free).
So, to go from here I need to go via the Samsung store after establishing a valid account I think.
Graeme

Old 02-03-2023, 11:09 AM   #11
wpeckham
LQ Guru

I am not aware of any Linux distribution that supports that snapdragon processor and also the features of that p[latform.

I consider anything form Samsung expensive, even if I am given one for free.