LinuxQuestions.org
Download your favorite Linux distribution at LQ ISO.
Home Forums Tutorials Articles Register
Go Back   LinuxQuestions.org > Forums > Linux Forums > Linux - Desktop
User Name
Password
Linux - Desktop This forum is for the discussion of all Linux Software used in a desktop context.

Notices

Search this Thread
Old 01-24-2022, 10:35 AM   #1
rnturn

Distribution: openSUSE, Raspbian, Slackware. Previous: MacOS, Red Hat, Coherent, Consensys SVR4.2, Tru64, Solaris

Rep: Reputation: 550Reputation: 550Reputation: 550Reputation: 550Reputation: 550Reputation: 550
Mouse scrolling via wheel" jumpy. How can it be controlled?

First things first: OpenSUSE 15.3, KDE/Plasma, Kensington Expert Mouse trackball.

When I use the scrolling ring around my trackball, it "scrolls" by jumping 5-6 lines at a time. I've gone into the Input Devices menu under System Settings and none of the options do anything to correct this. They do have an affect on pointer movement -- and, possibly, a little bit of an affect on scrolling when one grabs the scroll bar and drags it -- but that's not helping the wheel/ring scrolling jumpiness. Scrolling through this text window while I'm typing this still jumps 5-6 lines at a time.

I'm sure there's got to be a setting somewhere on the system that affects the behavior of the scroll wheel (or ring). "xev" tells me that "wheel" events are seen as either button 4 or 5 (depending on the direction of rotation) but where would I alter the amount of scrolling that's taking place?

I've looked at a config file, "71-mouse-local.hwdb", that is supposed to allow a user to redefine the "click angle" but
  • redefining that setting from the default, from 15 to 3 (might as well make a big change to see if it's actually doing anything, right?),
  • restarting the hwdb service (via "system-hwdb restart"),
  • and issuing "udevadm trigger /dev/input/event*"
has had no effect on the amount of scrolling that's done when rotating the mouse wheel/ring.

Ideas as to where I look next to alter the amount of scrolling?

TIA...

Old 01-25-2022, 12:01 AM   #2
lvm_

Rep: Reputation: 337Reputation: 337Reputation: 337Reputation: 337
Buttons 4 and 5 are indeed the ordinary mouse wheel codes controlled by the 'mouse wheel scrolls by' setting available in KDE's system settings in input devices-mouse-advanced. No idea why it is not working in your case, but this it the correct setting for these codes, and looking for some other setting probably won't help.

Old 01-25-2022, 12:36 AM   #3
ondoho
LQ Addict

Rep: Reputation: 6053Reputation: 6053Reputation: 6053Reputation: 6053Reputation: 6053Reputation: 6053Reputation: 6053Reputation: 6053Reputation: 6053Reputation: 6053Reputation: 6053
Isn't that usually software specific?
E.g. Firefox has a setting to use "smooth scrolling"?