LinuxQuestions.org
Help answer threads with 0 replies.
Home Forums Tutorials Articles Register
Go Back   LinuxQuestions.org > Forums > Linux Forums > Linux - Distributions > Slackware
User Name
Password
Slackware This Forum is for the discussion of Slackware Linux.

Notices

Search this Thread
Old 09-16-2021, 10:37 AM   #1
elMoco

Distribution: Slackware

Rep: Reputation: 11
sddm default stuck to lang.sh ?

Hi,

I'm not sure since when (not long) but I realised SDDM was showing the date and time in the wrong format, and I was checking all my language and locale configuration, and it was fine, but still when I logged in to Plasma, every single time I had LANG=en_US

I finally found that the default options for SDDM were linked to lang.sh

Code:
root@liet:~# cat /etc/default/sddm
. /etc/profile.d/lang.sh
Why? Since when? I mean, I have my own settings system-wide that I have not changed in ages, so I guess this has to be something new, linking the configuration to an external and independent file?

Thanks

Old 09-16-2021, 11:07 AM   #2
marav
LQ Sage

Rep: Reputation: 4068Reputation: 4068Reputation: 4068Reputation: 4068Reputation: 4068Reputation: 4068Reputation: 4068Reputation: 4068Reputation: 4068Reputation: 4068Reputation: 4068
Quote:
Originally Posted by elMoco View Post
Hi,

I'm not sure since when (not long) but I realised SDDM was showing the date and time in the wrong format, and I was checking all my language and locale configuration, and it was fine, but still when I logged in to Plasma, every single time I had LANG=en_US

I finally found that the default options for SDDM were linked to lang.sh

Code:
root@liet:~# cat /etc/default/sddm
. /etc/profile.d/lang.sh
Why? Since when? I mean, I have my own settings system-wide that I have not changed in ages, so I guess this has to be something new, linking the configuration to an external and independent file?

Thanks
Code:
$ locale | grep LC_TIME
you must change this (LC_TIME) according to your needs

Last edited by marav; 09-16-2021 at 11:10 AM.

Old 09-16-2021, 11:40 AM   #3
elMoco

Original Poster
Quote:
Originally Posted by marav View Post
Code:
$ locale | grep LC_TIME
you must change this (LC_TIME) according to your needs

I have it according to my needs, but not configured in /etc/profile.d/lang.sh. The problem comes because at some point, /etc/dafault/sddm pointed to /etc/profile.d/lang.sh and hence overrides my own configuration.

Of course, now I have modified /etc/dafault/sddm to remove the lang.sh reference, and everything works fine.

Old 09-16-2021, 08:41 PM   #4
volkerdi
Slackware Maintainer

Distribution: Slackware! :-)

Rep: Reputation: 8461Reputation: 8461Reputation: 8461Reputation: 8461Reputation: 8461Reputation: 8461Reputation: 8461Reputation: 8461Reputation: 8461Reputation: 8461Reputation: 8461
A bit more information, although I agree that linking lang.sh looks like it's not the best plan.

Do you use another shell other than bash?
You say you configured "settings system-wide", where did you configure that? Within Plasma?

Mostly just curious. My guess is that removing that setting as you did might be something we need to do here.

Old 09-17-2021, 02:48 AM   #5
elMoco

Original Poster
Quote:
Originally Posted by volkerdi View Post
A bit more information, although I agree that linking lang.sh looks like it's not the best plan.

Do you use another shell other than bash?
You say you configured "settings system-wide", where did you configure that? Within Plasma?

Mostly just curious. My guess is that removing that setting as you did might be something we need to do here.
Hi,

I have my own file where I configured all my environment variables and alias sitting in /etc/profile.d, and making sure (with many 'z') it's the last one to be executed.

I used to adapt the different, standard, files in /etc/profile.d to my global needs (user-wide needs, in each user profile), but since I moved to the -current release, and because those files are updated every then and now, I decided to use one personal specific file, for which I have better control.