LinuxQuestions.org
Share your knowledge at the LQ Wiki.
Home Forums Tutorials Articles Register
Go Back   LinuxQuestions.org > Forums > Linux Forums > Linux - Distributions > Slackware
User Name
Password
Slackware This Forum is for the discussion of Slackware Linux.

Notices

Search this Thread
Old 07-08-2021, 12:20 PM   #1
Nille_kungen

Distribution: Slackware64-current

Rep: Reputation: 201Reputation: 201Reputation: 201
Can't setup wifi printer connected to usb with hplip

I can't setup my HP smart tank 450 wifi printer connected to usb with hplip.
Earlier i was able to setup the network when USB connected but now it doesn't find any printer.
I can add it as a usb printer an use it with usb and if i run setup on another OS i am able to add the wifi printer but setup wifi doesn't work from slackware64-current.

https://imgur.com/a/xCz2sbG
https://pastebin.com/seYHfxnh

Code:
error: policykit     PolicyKit - Administrative policy framework                  OPTIONAL        -               0.119           MISSING    'policykit needs to be installed'
 error: avahi-utils   avahi-utils                                                  OPTIONAL        -               -               MISSING    'avahi-utils needs to be installed'
I do have polkit-0.119 installed
Code:
Traceback (most recent call last):
  File "/usr/bin/hp-check", line 862, in <module>
    num_errors, num_warns = dep.validate(time_flag, is_quiet_mode)
  File "/usr/bin/hp-check", line 367, in validate
    self.__update_deps_info(supported_distro_vrs, dep,
  File "/usr/bin/hp-check", line 210, in __update_deps_info
    installed_ver = self.core.version_func[deps_info[6]]()
  File "/usr/share/hplip/installer/dcheck.py", line 303, in get_pyQt4_version
    from PyQt4 import QtCore
ImportError: cannot import name 'QtCore' from 'PyQt4' (unknown location)

Old 07-08-2021, 09:42 PM   #2
enorbet

Distribution: Slackware = Main OpSys

Rep: Reputation: 4435Reputation: 4435Reputation: 4435Reputation: 4435Reputation: 4435Reputation: 4435Reputation: 4435Reputation: 4435Reputation: 4435Reputation: 4435Reputation: 4435
My HP network printer is an Officejet so I don't know for certain this applies but I don't bother with the USB setup connection. I just pick the "network" option, one above the one you show chosen in the screenshot, and choose "manual" and enter the information displayed on the printer's little screen. Oddly enough it doesn't actually see it until I choose the appropriate driver (in my case the OfficeJet 5740) but from then on it's golden. I even get all the utilities like "Clean Heads", "alignment", "ink levels" etc.

Old 07-09-2021, 12:09 PM   #3
Nille_kungen

Original Poster
Quote:
Originally Posted by enorbet View Post
My HP network printer is an Officejet so I don't know for certain this applies but I don't bother with the USB setup connection. I just pick the "network" option, one above the one you show chosen in the screenshot, and choose "manual" and enter the information displayed on the printer's little screen. Oddly enough it doesn't actually see it until I choose the appropriate driver (in my case the OfficeJet 5740) but from then on it's golden. I even get all the utilities like "Clean Heads", "alignment", "ink levels" etc.
My printer doesn't display that kind of stuff and the usb is used to setup the network so the printer connects to an wifi network.
Maybe you can setup the network on your printer with the display, i can't do that and need to use usb to setup the network.

Old 07-17-2021, 02:51 PM   #4
Nille_kungen

Original Poster
Does it work for anyone else?
Am i the only one that setup HP wifi printers from Slackware?

Old 07-17-2021, 03:42 PM   #5
MDKDIO

Distribution: Slackware 15

Rep: Reputation: 187Reputation: 187
Nille
IF you press the buttons for wireless and information at the same time, is it printing the (network)configuration page for the printer?

If that works, and of course, if the printer gets an IP address, use that to configure it during installation.

Optionally, use the WPS function, that configuration page should include the WPS key needed

Old 07-18-2021, 05:35 PM   #6
Nille_kungen

Original Poster
I don't use WPS but i can set it up using a computer with another os.
The thing is that i used to be able to set it up with Slackware but it's not possible anymore so there i an regression since i did it last time.
Since Slackware current doesn't use the latest hplip releases i don't think i can report it as an upstream bug but i do think the functionality should be there.

Old 07-20-2021, 12:56 AM   #7
enorbet

Rep: Reputation: 4435Reputation: 4435Reputation: 4435Reputation: 4435Reputation: 4435Reputation: 4435Reputation: 4435Reputation: 4435Reputation: 4435Reputation: 4435Reputation: 4435
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nille_kungen View Post
My printer doesn't display that kind of stuff and the usb is used to setup the network so the printer connects to an wifi network.
Maybe you can setup the network on your printer with the display, i can't do that and need to use usb to setup the network.
Maybe I was unclear. The display is not from my printer but rather in the hplip printer setup software. Please check your screenshot above to which I referred and see that yours apparently has the Manual Discovery option. I see that yours is greyed out with the specific selection you show but it seems unlikely that the wifi software would be substantially different since the wifi hardware is pretty much the same on all HP printers.

Last edited by enorbet; 07-20-2021 at 01:00 AM.

Old 07-20-2021, 09:02 AM   #8
Nille_kungen

Original Poster
Quote:
Originally Posted by enorbet View Post
Maybe I was unclear. The display is not from my printer but rather in the hplip printer setup software. Please check your screenshot above to which I referred and see that yours apparently has the Manual Discovery option. I see that yours is greyed out with the specific selection you show but it seems unlikely that the wifi software would be substantially different since the wifi hardware is pretty much the same on all HP printers.
That is for adding a printer already connected to a network and there is no problem adding the printer once it's connected to a network.
The problem is setting up the network when connecting the printer with USB so the printer can connect to the WiFi router.
I can setup the network on another computer and then add the printer and it works but the thing is that i have setup the network on slackware before but it doesn't work anymore.
I did add this printer with slackware to the wifi network and since i needed to change router i wasn't able to add it to my new router with slackware current.

Last edited by Nille_kungen; 07-20-2021 at 09:42 AM.

Old 07-20-2021, 10:38 AM   #9
enorbet

You are right. Initially I had mt Printer connected through ethernet to my router (from a 14.2 Install) when I added it via WiFi to Current. So it was already recognized at router level even if on another protocol.