LinuxQuestions.org
Visit Jeremy's Blog.
Home Forums Tutorials Articles Register
Go Back   LinuxQuestions.org > Forums > Linux Forums > Linux - Distributions > Slackware
User Name
Password
Slackware This Forum is for the discussion of Slackware Linux.

Notices

Search this Thread
Old 04-06-2022, 04:02 PM   #31
Windu

Distribution: Arch Linux, Debian, Slackware

Rep: Reputation: Disabled

Quote:
Originally Posted by rootaccess View Post
guys, i just installed 14.2 and i dont remember vlc being this painful to install. i installed everything initially when i installed the OS. im chasing all the dependencies and some are now not installing, leaving me with much pain. it was bad enough to get the nvidia driver installed so i really dont want to take this system down to install 15 but maybe i should have done that in the first place. can i salvage this or just take it down?

i also have issues with --no-check-certificate on every wget command and even browsing websites tells me their security certificate expired. version 13.7 was much better than 14.2
http://www.slackware.com/~alien/slackbuilds/vlc/ - a single package for VLC, no dependencies. You are making it so hard on yourself, are you masochistic?
Also, installing Slackware 14.2 when 15.0 was just released? Makes no sense.

Old 04-06-2022, 04:59 PM   #32
bassmadrigal
LQ Guru

Distribution: Slackware

Rep: Reputation: 6656Reputation: 6656Reputation: 6656Reputation: 6656Reputation: 6656Reputation: 6656Reputation: 6656Reputation: 6656Reputation: 6656Reputation: 6656Reputation: 6656
Quote:
Originally Posted by rootaccess View Post
guys, i just installed 14.2 and i dont remember vlc being this painful to install. i installed everything initially when i installed the OS. im chasing all the dependencies and some are now not installing, leaving me with much pain. it was bad enough to get the nvidia driver installed so i really dont want to take this system down to install 15 but maybe i should have done that in the first place. can i salvage this or just take it down?

i also have issues with --no-check-certificate on every wget command and even browsing websites tells me their security certificate expired. version 13.7 was much better than 14.2
VLC has always been difficult with its many dependencies. Alien Bob has made it easy by including most of the dependencies (check his .dep file to see what else needs to be installed from his repo). Windu has already posted the link for this.

An easier option might be to just install smplayer, and that will just use the system mplayer. It's a lot less work and doesn't require any dependencies.

Your certificate issue is likely because your system is probably grossly out-of-date. 14.2 was released almost 6 years ago and has had many updates, including the ca-certificates package, which will install updated certificates for your system.

That being said, installing 15.0 from the get go would've been a much smarter choice so you can have a modern system.

1 members found this post helpful.
Old 04-06-2022, 06:08 PM   #33
Didier Spaier
LQ Addict

Distribution: Slint64-15.0

Here:
Code:
~$ vlc --version
VLC media player 3.0.17.3 Vetinari (revision 3.0.13-8-g41878ff4f2)
VLC version 3.0.17.3 Vetinari (3.0.13-8-g41878ff4f2)
Traductions © 2008-2018 Éric Lassauge
Compilé par root sur slint.ici.fr (Apr  6 2022 21:06:41)
Compilateur : gcc version 11.2.0 (GCC)
Ce programme est fourni SANS AUCUNE GARANTIE, tel que permis par la loi.
Vous pouvez le redistribuer selon les termes de la Licence Publique Générale GNU ;
voir le fichier COPYING pour plus de détails.
Écrit par l'équipe VideoLAN ; voir le fichier AUTHORS.
Built today with the SlackBuild from Chris on SBo. Another option is mpv (that I personally prefer).

Old 04-07-2022, 01:01 AM   #34
Windu

Distribution: Arch Linux, Debian, Slackware

12 Slackers 13 opinions :-)

Old 04-07-2022, 02:19 AM   #35
kgha

Distribution: Slackware 64 -current multilib from AlienBob's LiveSlak MATE

Rep: Reputation: 741Reputation: 741Reputation: 741Reputation: 741Reputation: 741Reputation: 741Reputation: 741
Quote:
Originally Posted by Windu View Post
http://www.slackware.com/~alien/slackbuilds/vlc/ - a single package for VLC, no dependencies.
Not if you for some reason have chosen to run slackware-14.2. From AlienBob's blog ( https://alien.slackbook.org/blog/vlc...2-and-current/ )

Quote:
While Slackware 14.2 contains a ‘qt4’ package, it does not contain ‘qt5’ and therefore, the vlc-3.x package introduces some new external dependencies, all related to the Qt5 GUI: SDL_sound, OpenAL, libxkbcommon, libinput, libwacom, qt5.
On Slackware -current (pre 15.0 now) no dependency packages are needed; everything the vlc package needs is present in Slackware-current.
But since AlienBob offers packages for all these dependencies in his 14.2 repo, it should still be easy to get vlc running.