LinuxQuestions.org
Welcome to the most active Linux Forum on the web.
Home Forums Tutorials Articles Register
Go Back   LinuxQuestions.org > Forums > Linux Forums > Linux - Distributions > SUSE / openSUSE
User Name
Password
SUSE / openSUSE This Forum is for the discussion of Suse Linux.

Notices

Search this Thread
Old 07-28-2020, 05:26 AM   #1
rdx

Distribution: Slackware64 14.2

Rep: Reputation: 25
new install, Leap 15.1: codecs not found

I just put a SUSE drive in my PowerSpec (AMD Ryzen) box and it is having problems finding things. The VLC media player can't play .mp4 files
Quote:
Codec not supported:
VLC could not decode the format "mp4a" (MPEG AAC Audio)
Codec not supported:
VLC could not decode the format "h264" (H264 - MPEG-4 AVC (part 10))
ffmpeg has the same problem.

When I tried to install Armadillo, I installed openblas and lapack libraries first, but the armadillo install script isn't finding (and including) those libraries. Same sort of problems with blender.

It seems to me I am probably missing something simple, but being a total noob to Suse, I am lost.

Old 07-28-2020, 05:39 AM   #2
guestfish
LQ Newbie

Distribution: *BSD Ubuntu CentOS Suse

Rep: Reputation: 0
Quote:
Originally Posted by rdx View Post
I just put a SUSE drive in my PowerSpec (AMD Ryzen) box and it is having problems finding things. The VLC media player can't play .mp4 files

ffmpeg has the same problem.

When I tried to install Armadillo, I installed openblas and lapack libraries first, but the armadillo install script isn't finding (and including) those libraries. Same sort of problems with blender.

It seems to me I am probably missing something simple, but being a total noob to Suse, I am lost.
https://en.opensuse.org/Additional_package_repositories

Old 07-28-2020, 07:17 AM   #3
sevendogsbsd

Distribution: FreeBSD

Rep: Reputation: 1011Reputation: 1011Reputation: 1011Reputation: 1011Reputation: 1011Reputation: 1011Reputation: 1011Reputation: 1011
There are instructions on OpenSuse's site about multimedia codecs: https://forums.opensuse.org/showthre...SUSE-Leap-15-1

I can't find the "official" guide but that link looks like a copy of the instructions.

1 members found this post helpful.
Old 07-28-2020, 02:12 PM   #4
rdx

Distribution: Slackware64 14.2

Original Poster
Rep: Reputation: 25
Ugh. Obviously I was wrong to try switching to SUSE. I surrender and retreat to Slackware. Fifty years ago I had the energy to plow through all this stuff but not today. Thank you for your comments.