LinuxQuestions.org
Visit Jeremy's Blog.
Home Forums Tutorials Articles Register
Go Back   LinuxQuestions.org > Forums > Linux Forums > Linux - Distributions > Slackware
User Name
Password
Slackware This Forum is for the discussion of Slackware Linux.

Notices

Search this Thread
Old 09-01-2019, 12:48 AM   #16
chris.willing

Distribution: Slackware,LFS

Rep: Reputation: 619Reputation: 619Reputation: 619Reputation: 619Reputation: 619Reputation: 619

Quote:
Originally Posted by orbea View Post
Have you tried current? This seems to just work for me, I don't recall doing anything to make this work either.
No I hadn't. Now that I have, I find that "sudo upgr" works in a non-graphical login. However with a graphical login it was still not working unless I made the shell a login shell. This gave the clue that contents of /etc/profile.d/ (which includes bash_completion.sh) were not being sourced. Adding
Code:
. /etc/profile.d/bash_completion.sh
to my .bashrc enabled "sudo upgr" to complete as expected.

Subsequently, I found the same result in 14.2, so I think that's the answer to OP's question: either use login shells or source /etc/profile.d/bash_completion.sh

chris

3 members found this post helpful.
Old 09-01-2019, 02:07 AM   #17
lioh

Distribution: Slackware

Original Poster
Rep: Reputation: Disabled
@abga, what you are writing seems to reflect your personal opinion, but is technically not correct.

If
Code:
Defaults secure_path="/usr/local/sbin:/usr/local/bin:/usr/sbin:/usr/bin:/sbin:/bin"
is set in the sudo configuration, no 'admin' script will ever break.

My question was only related to the autocompletion and as @Poprocks has answered I have provided enough information to understand it like that (btw. she is correct).

The hints by @chris.willing helped, concerning the inclusion of the profile script.

Thanks all for your help.

Lioh

Old 09-01-2019, 04:32 AM   #18
Firerat

Distribution: Debian sid

Rep: Reputation: 783Reputation: 783Reputation: 783Reputation: 783Reputation: 783Reputation: 783Reputation: 783
Thumbs up

Quote:
Originally Posted by chris.willing View Post
I think that just sets up the PATH variable for when the target command is eventually being run, in case a script may call other commands not in the normal PATH.
yeah, I think you are right,
this seems related to the search path
/usr/share/bash-completion/bash_completion
Code:
# This function checks whether we have a given program on the system.
#
_have()
{
    # Completions for system administrator commands are installed as well in
    # case completion is attempted via `sudo command ...'.
    PATH=$PATH:/usr/sbin:/sbin:/usr/local/sbin type $1 &>/dev/null
}
@abga just seems to be stuck in the past
https://ubuntuforums.org/showthread....26#post6188826
^^ from 2008

compare these
Code:
sudo env
sudo bash -c env
sudo -i
    env
su -c env
su
    env
su -
    env
su -c bash -c env
I'm sure I've missed some

11 years on and things are different

Old 09-01-2019, 09:39 AM   #19
abga

Rep: Reputation: 929Reputation: 929Reputation: 929Reputation: 929Reputation: 929Reputation: 929Reputation: 929Reputation: 929
Quote:
Originally Posted by lioh View Post
@abga, what you are writing seems to reflect your personal opinion, but is technically not correct.

If
Code:
Defaults secure_path="/usr/local/sbin:/usr/local/bin:/usr/sbin:/usr/bin:/sbin:/bin"
is set in the sudo configuration, no 'admin' script will ever break.

My question was only related to the autocompletion and as @Poprocks has answered I have provided enough information to understand it like that (btw. she is correct).
What I was advising you directly in my post #2 seems to be the opinion of the Slackware developers, provided the link to the documentation in my reply to Poprocks. If you choose to ignore the documentation and the recommended way Slackware is to be managed with the help of the root account, believing that you're a better user (mentioned this sort of users in my replies to Firerat), I only hope that you'll be successful in your procedures and won't break your system.
I also mentioned the necessity for the root's $PATH, as a minimum requirement, and indeed, your original question contained enough information showing that you're attempting administration tasks with sudo.

Good luck!

Old 09-01-2019, 09:47 AM   #20
lioh

Original Poster
Rep: Reputation: Disabled
If you are referring to: https://docs.slackware.com/slackware...ation_overview I cannot see any point there for using su - over sudo. It states:

Quote:
The “root” user is not the account which you are going to use as a matter of routine. Root is meant for system maintenance and configuration, software upgrades and the like.
which could also indicate to use sudo instead. Imho using sudo or su is just a matter of taste and there is no 'Slackware way to go' on that. But that's just a philosophical discussion and I am not so much into it. Anyhow, my question has been answered in the meanwhile.

Old 09-01-2019, 09:52 AM   #21
Firerat

Rep: Reputation: 783Reputation: 783Reputation: 783Reputation: 783Reputation: 783Reputation: 783Reputation: 783
Quote:
Originally Posted by lioh View Post
If you are referring to: https://docs.slackware.com/slackware...ation_overview I cannot see any point there for using su - over sudo. It states:

which could also indicate to use sudo instead. Imho using sudo or su is just a matter of taste and there is no 'Slackware way to go' on that. But that's just a philosophical discussion and I am not so much into it. Anyhow, my question has been answered in the meanwhile.
yeap, no problem with sudo

odd sudo behaviour in 2008 has been fixed

1 members found this post helpful.
Old 09-01-2019, 05:16 PM   #22
abga

Rep: Reputation: 929Reputation: 929Reputation: 929Reputation: 929Reputation: 929Reputation: 929Reputation: 929Reputation: 929
Quote:
Originally Posted by Firerat View Post
odd sudo behaviour in 2008 has been fixed
Is that an assumption? Or is it based on some evidence, maybe your experience in the Slackware environment (incl. env. variables and the packages versions Slackware is providing)?
I'm asking this because in post #8 I mentioned a workaround, again, corrective for the OP with his initial simple sudo command:
Quote:
Using sudo and inheriting root's environment might be an alternative
and deliberately omitted (not that courageous like montagdude in post #12 - using "should" )to provide the command:
Code:
sudo -i
because before I wrote that post I ran some simple test, as I'm usually doing (when it's possible) before giving advice, with env & set & printenv in a native root interactive shell and with the help of sudo -i
Briefly compared the results and noticed some inconsistencies, the $PATH was consistent, but there were some env. variables (a very few) that were not matching. I didn't bother to study them in more detail, they could be insignificant, but this drove me to read the sudo man - ENVIRONMENT section and learned that sudo has some internal logic - discretionary to some extent. Then stumbled upon this article:
https://unix.stackexchange.com/quest...-i-and-sudo-su
And this one from 2015 - from where I picked&provided the 2008 Ubuntu forum link:
https://unix.stackexchange.com/quest...i-vs-sudo-bash

Now, I won't spend more time on this, because it looks like I'm not able to help the OP due to his limited understanding of the English language, but as with the case with Poprocks, I'm concerned about your previous post and hope you can also provide some evidence for your statements.

____

With this short study/refresh (I haven't used it for ages) in the internals of sudo and all its historical (and present) issues and limitations, I believe that Slackware's decision not to use it for administrative tasks was a wise one. BTW there's no mention of sudo in the Slackware documentation, but all the operations are described to be executed as root.

Old 09-01-2019, 06:39 PM   #23
Firerat

You would like proof it is not broken?
can one prove a negative?

show us something that *is* broken with sudo. That will disprove it is not broken.

you may well be correct.

As a matter of fact I did believe you ( in post # whatever ) until I noted that you gave no example of something which didn't work with sudo.

Quote:
I'm asking this because in post #8 I mentioned a workaround, again, corrective for the OP with his initial simple sudo command:
Quote:
Using sudo and inheriting root's environment might be an alternative
and deliberately omitted (not that courageous like montagdude in post #12 - using "should" )to provide the command:
Code:
sudo -i
because before I wrote that post I ran some simple test
hmm
[Pedantry]
English is tricky, so easy to get wrong.

"I mentioned a workaround"
should be
"I mentioned a possible workaround"
due to the use of the word "might"

You tested it but wasn't certain?

[/Pedantry]

Seriously
If you do have an actual example I would love to look at it.

either way, let us synchronize our feet and continue to walk our paths cheerfully

Old 09-01-2019, 06:51 PM   #24
upnort

Rep: Reputation: 1161Reputation: 1161Reputation: 1161Reputation: 1161Reputation: 1161Reputation: 1161Reputation: 1161Reputation: 1161Reputation: 1161
@lioh:

Using both su and sudo is appropriate. I use both daily.

Quote:
I wonder if there is another way to make auto-completion work for sudo commands which are outside the users $PATH?
Type the full path to the command: sudo /sbin/upgr -Tab.

Quote:
I don't really want to add this to the users $PATH variable
If you change your mind, throw something like this into /etc/profile.d/i_trust_myself.sh:

Code:
# Add /usr/local/bin to $PATH.
if [ "$(echo $PATH | grep /usr/local/bin)" = "" ]; then
  PATH="$(echo $PATH | sed 's|/usr/bin:|/usr/local/bin:/usr/bin:|')"
fi
# Add sbin directories to non-root $PATH.
if [ "$(echo $PATH | grep /usr/local/sbin)" = "" ]; then
  PATH="$(echo $PATH | sed 's|/usr/local/bin:|/usr/local/sbin:/usr/local/bin:|')"
  PATH="$(echo $PATH | sed 's|/usr/bin:|/usr/sbin:/usr/bin:|')"
  PATH="$(echo $PATH | sed 's|:/bin:|:/sbin:/bin:|')"
fi

Last edited by upnort; 09-01-2019 at 06:54 PM.

Old 09-01-2019, 07:31 PM   #25
abga

Quote:
Originally Posted by Firerat View Post
You would like proof it is not broken?
can one prove a negative?

show us something that *is* broken with sudo. That will disprove it is not broken.

you may well be correct.

As a matter of fact I did believe you ( in post # whatever ) until I noted that you gave no example of something which didn't work with sudo.

hmm
[Pedantry]
English is tricky, so easy to get wrong.

should be
due to the use of the word "might"

You tested it but wasn't certain?

[/Pedantry]

Seriously
If you do have an actual example I would love to look at it.

either way, let us synchronize our feet and continue to walk our paths cheerfully
I asked you to provide some evidence about your statement in the context of the sudo usage on Slackware. It's a Slackware support forum & thread. I also provided details about my short study and the tests I ran. You could consider them as the requested "example", pick up where I left and do some investigation if you have time, play with sudo -i, check the environment and test all the administrative scripts. I don't and I also don't attempt to break things that were properly designed, documented and working well. Never tried to qualify as a better "user", sorry.
With respect to the English language, it was an observation and reaction (I stopped caring) about OP's interpretation in post #20.

Sorry, cannot follow your rubbish with the corrections, I only know I ate one "s" in "test", I should have used the plural form, but didn't bother to correct it. However, I'd like to ask you, if you're so kind and capable (more importantly), to stay away from personal attacks, act professional and provide some evidence for your statements.

Old 09-01-2019, 08:28 PM   #26
Firerat

I asked for an example of something that doesn't work.
if you cannot provide that, it is evidence that sudo "is fine".

hold on, I *might* have one
/usr/share/mkinitrd/ # we don't need that bit for example
Code:
mkinitrd_command_generator.sh -k X.Y.Z | bash
# most people will do that wrong with sudo
sudo mkinitrd_command_generator.sh -k X.Y.Z | bash
# bash is not root
# they figure that out and
mkinitrd_command_generator.sh -k X.Y.Z | sudo bash
# wait, did that work?
# I honestly didn't expect that to work, I've always avoided that 
# I would 
sudo bash < <(mkinitrd_command_generator.sh -k X.Y.Z)
# habit I guess
but yeah, I can see how a "real" root shell would make that one easier
for someone unfamiliar with here docs

In English
means something different to

you stated you gave a workaround, but
"Using sudo and inheriting root's environment might be an alternative"
means it isn't a workaround, it is a possible workaround.

I suppose I could drop that if
"Using sudo and inheriting root's environment might be a <good|suitable|appropriate> alternative"

but as it was the two statements do not reconcile.

and yes, I read test but assumed tests
what tests do you do? ones not unlike those in #18 ?
great minds and all that

I do like that 2008 link you gave
especially the guy who told his boss doom and gloom stories of "viruses infecting the windows network" if he used sudo, just so he wouldn't use sudo.
delightfully apt I thought.