LinuxQuestions.org
Latest LQ Deal: Latest LQ Deals
Home Forums Tutorials Articles Register
Go Back   LinuxQuestions.org > Forums > Linux Forums > Linux - Distributions > Slackware
User Name
Password
Slackware This Forum is for the discussion of Slackware Linux.

Notices

Search this Thread
Old 07-05-2019, 11:28 AM   #1

Distribution: Slackware

Rep: Reputation: Disabled
Installing the Tor slackbuild

ok, so I'm installing Tor from https://slackbuilds.org/repository/14.2/network/tor/ and it says:
Quote:
The following can be used to start/stop tor automatically:
/etc/rc.d/rc.local
if [ -x /etc/rc.d/rc.tor ]; then
/etc/rc.d/rc.tor start
fi

/etc/rc.d/rc.local_shutdown
if [ -x /etc/rc.d/rc.tor ]; then
/etc/rc.d/rc.tor stop
fi
so, if I don't do the shutdown one, what'll happen? I assumed that when you shutdown the computer, all processes stop automatically? will tor be open next time I restart the computer if I don't do the automatic shutdown thing there?

And seeing as it is implied that I would want it to start on bootup, this isn't the Tor browser bundle is it? I've forgotten a quit a but about Tor but I do remember that if you're using To, you'd want to use the Tor Browser bundle so as to share the same canvas fingerprint as everyone else using it in order to better preserve your identity. if this is just Tor on its own, what additional measures would I need to take in order to make it as secure as the Tor browser bundle?

Old 07-05-2019, 11:59 AM   #2
termayto
LQ Newbie

Distribution: Slackware64 14.2

Rep: Reputation: 17
The shutdown entry is to allow the program to shut itself down cleanly and safely (letting it save anything it needs to and release system resources).

No this isn't the browser bundle, but the system daemon. It runs in the background and allows any network applications with their proxy settings pointed to localhost:9050 to access the tor network. The tor browser bundle can be found at https://slackbuilds.org/repository/1...ch=tor-browser . The browser bundle does not require the system daemon to be installed or running. I would recommend just using the browser bundle for browsing because the process of making Firefox as secure is pretty long and tedious, and missing a step could expose you.

1 members found this post helpful.
Old 07-05-2019, 01:11 PM   #3

Original Poster
Quote:
Originally Posted by termayto View Post
The shutdown entry is to allow the program to shut itself down cleanly and safely (letting it save anything it needs to and release system resources).

No this isn't the browser bundle, but the system daemon. It runs in the background and allows any network applications with their proxy settings pointed to localhost:9050 to access the tor network. The tor browser bundle can be found at https://slackbuilds.org/repository/1...ch=tor-browser . The browser bundle does not require the system daemon to be installed or running. I would recommend just using the browser bundle for browsing because the process of making Firefox as secure is pretty long and tedious, and missing a step could expose you.
Thanks. Though would the browser alone be sufficient if I wanted to run Nipe in order to defend against timing analysis by automatically routing all connections through Tor?https://www.yeahhub.com/fully-anonym...or-using-nipe/

Edit: oh nvm. Didn't notice the thing you mentioned regarding the ports. Thanks!

Old 07-06-2019, 09:41 AM   #4
PROBLEMCHYLD

Here is a link to some tor enhancement, I use it daily....Enjoy

http://resist.se/dns.txt

Old 07-08-2019, 01:23 AM   #5
FlinchX

Distribution: Slackware Linux

Quote:
Originally Posted by 700 View Post
if I wanted to run Nipe in order to defend against timing analysis by automatically routing all connections through Tor?
If your hardware is good enough to run a couple of virtual machines smoothly, feel free to have a look at Whonix as well.

Old 07-08-2019, 04:00 PM   #6

Original Poster
Quote:
Originally Posted by FlinchX View Post
If your hardware is good enough to run a couple of virtual machines smoothly, feel free to have a look at Whonix as well.
I doubt it'd run smoothly enough for decent web browsing. I have 4Gb RAM on a 32-bit machine. What'dya think?

Old 07-08-2019, 10:40 PM   #7
FlinchX

Distribution: Slackware Linux

Quote:
Originally Posted by 700 View Post
I doubt it'd run smoothly enough for decent web browsing. I have 4Gb RAM on a 32-bit machine. What'dya think?
Probably not enough for Whonix I'm afraid. Whonix workstation comes with KDE by default, that's quite heavy on resources. Of course you can probably change that.

Tags
slackbuild, slackware 14.2, tor