LinuxQuestions.org
Share your knowledge at the LQ Wiki.
Home Forums Tutorials Articles Register
Go Back   LinuxQuestions.org > Forums > Linux Forums > Linux - Distributions > Slackware
User Name
Password
Slackware This Forum is for the discussion of Slackware Linux.

Notices

Search this Thread
Old 06-29-2019, 06:48 PM   #1
joseghast
LQ Newbie

Distribution: slackware

Rep: Reputation: Disabled
SuperCollider won't build on Slackware 14.2

Hi all,

After many years of (intermitently) using Debian, I've recently taked up Slackware. I've started using slackbuilds.org packages to get the extra software I need and all but one have work great.

The one that refuses to work is SuperCollider (https://slackbuilds.org/repository/1...SuperCollider/). I've installed the full 64-bit Slackware 14.2 from the DVD and subsequently updated the system and added the audio queue of Studioware.

Then I went on to try and get SuperCollider working. I've installed all the dependencies that are indicated in the Slackbuild's README and .info files, even the optionals (just in case) but it always stops at the same place on the building process and I don't understand what's missing.

The command for building is:

Code:
AVAHI=yes ./SuperCollider.SlackBuild
However, it always exits with:

Code:
server/supernova/CMakeFiles/libsupernova.dir/build.make:110: recipe for target 'server/supernova/CMakeFiles/libsupernova.dir/sc/sc_plugin_interface.cpp.o' failed
make[2]: *** [server/supernova/CMakeFiles/libsupernova.dir/sc/sc_plugin_interface.cpp.o] Error 1
CMakeFiles/Makefile2:3353: recipe for target 'server/supernova/CMakeFiles/libsupernova.dir/all' failed
make[1]: *** [server/supernova/CMakeFiles/libsupernova.dir/all] Error 2
Makefile:160: recipe for target 'all' failed
make: *** [all] Error 2
Has anyone else seen this when trying to build the package? I've googled it several times, plus searched on this forums and the SlackBuilds mailing list archives without any luck.

Thanks in advance.

Last edited by joseghast; 06-29-2019 at 07:01 PM. Reason: Adding that it's the 64-bit distro

Old 06-29-2019, 07:11 PM   #2
garpu

Distribution: Slackware

Rep: Reputation: 899Reputation: 899Reputation: 899Reputation: 899Reputation: 899Reputation: 899Reputation: 899
I saw that same error, when I was running Slackware 14.2, as well. I didn't get much farther than that, either, but never got around to finding a solution. A friend of mine who's active in the supercollider community suggested taking it to the supercollider dev list. (Bug with cmake?)

Alien Bob's gotten supercollider to compile on current, but I'm not sure what he did differently. (Compiling supercollider was an intellectual curiosity for me--I use csound and puredata.)

1 members found this post helpful.
Old 06-30-2019, 01:21 AM   #3
willysr

Distribution: Slackware-Current

Rep: Reputation: 1784Reputation: 1784Reputation: 1784Reputation: 1784Reputation: 1784Reputation: 1784Reputation: 1784Reputation: 1784Reputation: 1784Reputation: 1784Reputation: 1784
Try this changes: https://git.slackbuilds.org/slackbui...a716608fcf6499

2 members found this post helpful.
Old 06-30-2019, 04:27 AM   #4
joseghast
LQ Newbie

Original Poster
Quote:
Originally Posted by willysr View Post
Thank you so much! This built perfectly and I'm now making noise again!

It was the missing bit of the system for me, so this is greatly appreciated!!

Last edited by joseghast; 06-30-2019 at 04:28 AM. Reason: misspelt word

Old 06-30-2019, 08:42 AM   #5
willysr

Distribution: Slackware-Current

Rep: Reputation: 1784Reputation: 1784Reputation: 1784Reputation: 1784Reputation: 1784Reputation: 1784Reputation: 1784Reputation: 1784Reputation: 1784Reputation: 1784Reputation: 1784
i didn't test the functionality of the resulting package. I just make sure it built normally.
please do test if there's any missing functionality after the changes to Qt5.

if all goes fine, i will merge it into my branch

Old 06-30-2019, 03:19 PM   #6
joseghast
LQ Newbie

Original Poster
Quote:
Originally Posted by willysr View Post
i didn't test the functionality of the resulting package. I just make sure it built normally.
please do test if there's any missing functionality after the changes to Qt5.

if all goes fine, i will merge it into my branch
I have been busy doing other stuff after compiling this, however on a first look it all seems to work. I've done a few "quick and dirty" tests with the SuperCollider IDE (you can use either emacs or vim as a front-end) and it all looked fine to me. I browsed the help files a little bit and, again, all was good.

I'll do more tests during the week and report back if I find something is not working properly.

Thanks again for your help.

Old 07-06-2019, 03:56 PM   #7
joseghast
LQ Newbie

Original Poster
As an update: I haven't had as much time as I expected and wanted to test this. However, I did run some of my older code that I had (used in the MacOS X version) that included a few GUI elements (circular encoders that control a few synth parameters and a slider for the general volume of the synth and it worked perfectly.

I'm still learning and only using a fairly reduced subset of the language but, as far as I can tell, this build works.

Thanks again for your help.