LinuxQuestions.org
Latest LQ Deal: Latest LQ Deals
Home Forums Tutorials Articles Register
Go Back   LinuxQuestions.org > Forums > Linux Forums > Linux - Distributions > Slackware
User Name
Password
Slackware This Forum is for the discussion of Slackware Linux.

Notices

Search this Thread
Old 01-15-2019, 12:12 PM   #1
everynameipickisblocked
LQ Newbie

Rep: Reputation: Disabled
Slackware Live - VLC: "skins2 interface error"

Hi,

I'm really hoping someone can help me fix this error, I have spent many hours over the last few days searching, reading and trying everything I can but the error still remains.
It probably doesn't help that I have almost zero Linux experience.

I am using this live Slackware image:

slackware-live-xfce-current.iso

http://bear.alienbase.nl/mirrors/slackware-live/latest/

I boot up into the image using VMware workstation and then install the following:

vlc-3.0.4-i586-1alien.txz

libxkbcommon-0.8.2-i586-1alien.txz
qt5-5.11.3-i586-1alien.txz
qt5-webkit-5.212.0_alpha2-i586-2alien.txz
libinput-1.7.3-i586-1alien.txz
libwacom-0.31-i586-1alien.txt

as outlined in Alien Bob's blog:

https://alien.slackbook.org/blog/finally-vlc-3/

When I launch VLC through command line I get the following error:

Quote:
bash-4.4# vlc
VLC media player 3.0.4 Vetinari (revision 3.0.4-0-gf615db6332)
[090bebd0] main libvlc: Running vlc with the default interface. Use 'cvlc' to use vlc without interface.
[09153eb0] skins2 interface error: cannot instantiate dialogs provider
[090bfec0] main playlist: playlist is empty
[09153eb0] [cli] lua interface: Listening on host "*console".
VLC media player 3.0.4 Vetinari
Command Line Interface initialized. Type `help' for help.
> quit
Shutting down.
[09153eb0] [cli] lua interface: Requested shutdown.
I'm not sure if this is related but I get the following two warnings when using the -v switch:

Quote:
bash-4.4# vlc -v
VLC media player 3.0.4 Vetinari (revision 3.0.4-0-gf615db6332)
[085d1bd0] main libvlc warning: cannot load module `/usr/lib/vlc/plugins/gui/libqt_plugin.so' (libicui18n.so.63: cannot open shared object file: No such file or directory)
[085d1bd0] main libvlc warning: cannot load module `/usr/lib/vlc/plugins/access/libvnc_plugin.so' (libvncclient.so.1: cannot open shared object file: No such file or directory)

[085d1bd0] main libvlc: Running vlc with the default interface. Use 'cvlc' to use vlc without interface.
[086672f0] skins2 interface error: cannot instantiate dialogs provider
[085d2ec0] main playlist: playlist is empty
[086672f0] [cli] lua interface: Listening on host "*console".
VLC media player 3.0.4 Vetinari
Command Line Interface initialized. Type `help' for help.
>
I've tried using the 64bit live image and the same thing happens. I even installed an older version of VLC and the qt4 package but that doesn't work correctly either.

Old 01-16-2019, 10:45 AM   #2
bassmadrigal
LQ Guru

Distribution: Slackware

Rep: Reputation: 6656Reputation: 6656Reputation: 6656Reputation: 6656Reputation: 6656Reputation: 6656Reputation: 6656Reputation: 6656Reputation: 6656Reputation: 6656Reputation: 6656
You are running Slackware-current with that ISO and you didn't need to install libinput or libwacom. If you grabbed those, you might've accidentally downloaded all 14.2 packages instead of -current packages. You will need to remove libinput and libwacom (hopefully the stock versions will still be in place and were just hidden when you installed the other versions) and then reinstall (using upgradepkg --reinstall) all the other packages after ensuring you've downloaded the 32bit -current versions rather than the 14.2 versions (links below).

libxkbcommon
qt5
qt5-webkit
vlc

Last edited by bassmadrigal; 01-16-2019 at 10:56 AM. Reason: Added links to vlc

1 members found this post helpful.
Old 01-16-2019, 12:20 PM   #3
Alien Bob
Slackware Contributor

Distribution: Slackware

Rep: Reputation: 8106Reputation: 8106Reputation: 8106Reputation: 8106Reputation: 8106Reputation: 8106Reputation: 8106Reputation: 8106Reputation: 8106Reputation: 8106Reputation: 8106
You realize that once you reboot that ISO image in VMWare, all of your modifications are gone, right? The Live ISO stores all updates in RAM. It is not persistent.

And FYI: That 32bit XFCE image is more than 4 months old, so its libraries are outdated and if you were to install some software which was compiled on a recent Slackware-current, that software would typically display the library errors you mention in your post.
Also, I updated the VLC package with the new 3.0.6 release yesterday. I am going to build new live ISO images sometime soon. Grab a new ISO and the new VLC package, and it should work.
Alternatively download the Plasma5 ISO image, as it always contains VLC.

2 members found this post helpful.
Old 01-19-2019, 02:21 PM   #4
everynameipickisblocked
LQ Newbie

Original Poster
Rep: Reputation: Disabled
Quote:
Originally Posted by bassmadrigal View Post
You are running Slackware-current with that ISO and you didn't need to install libinput or libwacom. If you grabbed those, you might've accidentally downloaded all 14.2 packages instead of -current packages. You will need to remove libinput and libwacom (hopefully the stock versions will still be in place and were just hidden when you installed the other versions) and then reinstall (using upgradepkg --reinstall) all the other packages after ensuring you've downloaded the 32bit -current versions rather than the 14.2 versions (links below).

libxkbcommon
qt5
qt5-webkit
vlc
Sadly, The packages you have linked to are the versions I have already installed, except for VLC which has recently been updated. I didn't say it in my original post but I did try VLC first before installing libinput and libwacom. I tried everything I read on Google before creating a thread here, even when it probably meant I was installing incompatible packages.

Thanks for taking the time to respond, trying to help and for linking to the packages.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alien Bob View Post
You realize that once you reboot that ISO image in VMWare, all of your modifications are gone, right? The Live ISO stores all updates in RAM. It is not persistent.

And FYI: That 32bit XFCE image is more than 4 months old, so its libraries are outdated and if you were to install some software which was compiled on a recent Slackware-current, that software would typically display the library errors you mention in your post.
Also, I updated the VLC package with the new 3.0.6 release yesterday. I am going to build new live ISO images sometime soon. Grab a new ISO and the new VLC package, and it should work.
Alternatively download the Plasma5 ISO image, as it always contains VLC.
I do, I chose the live CD for its small size and speed. My plan was to create a snapshot once I had installed everything I needed and then use the image for what I want to do. If I happen to mess something up when using it (high probability) then I could just restart the snapshot.

Thanks for the recommendation for Plasma5, I had a look and it's quite large in size. After trying numerous operating systems, I found both Fedora LXQ Live and ChatletOS are able to do what I want and aren't too large (Fedora 1.19GB & ChatletOS 1.25 GB). I will definitely keep an eye out for the new Slackware Live CD, they are even smaller in size.

Edit: I've just seen you have uploaded new live images, I'm downloading now .

Last edited by everynameipickisblocked; 01-19-2019 at 02:28 PM.