LinuxQuestions.org
Download your favorite Linux distribution at LQ ISO.
Home Forums Tutorials Articles Register
Go Back   LinuxQuestions.org > Forums > Linux Forums > Linux - Distributions > Slackware
User Name
Password
Slackware This Forum is for the discussion of Slackware Linux.

Notices

Search this Thread
Old 12-28-2018, 07:18 PM   #1
The_Dark_Passenger

Distribution: Slackware64 14.2 & -Current

Rep: Reputation: Disabled
Random reboot

Hello,

I am having an odd system reboot issue. When writing large amounts of data to my USB 3.0 external hard drive, and I leave the system alone, it'll randomly reboot after a couple hours.

This reboot occurs when I am using rsync to backup to the external drive, SCP to download large amounts of files to it, and it also occurred when I ran badblocks on it to test it when I first got it.

However, this reboot only occurs when I leave my system alone, and my KDE session locked. I can use my system fine when it's writing for hours on end. But, if I lock my session while it's running rsync, or any other write operation to it for a couple of hours, I'll come back and it will have rebooted.

I also recently upgraded my internal SSD, and RAM, however, the issue is still occurring. This occurred with the previous SSD and RAM too.

My system is a 2013 Mac Pro specs are as below:

CPU: Intel Xeon E5 1650 V2 6core/12threads
RAM: OWC 4x16GB 64GB total DDR3 ECC 1866 RDIMMs
SSD: Samsung 970 PRO 1TB
External Drive: WD easystore 10TB
File system: EXT4 for both internal SSD and external HDD. Combined LVM/LUKS encrypted.
OS: Slackware64 -current, latest packages installed, and fully updated.

I have checked, and am not running out of memory. I've tested the memory, it's fine, and also my SSD, and external HDD SMART data says it's completely fine. Again, this happened with the old SSD and RAM too.

I also don't have auto-suspend or even auto sleep monitors on. So, nothing should be causing an automatic reboot or suspend in my KDE system settings that I can see.

Unfortunately, /var/log/messages isn't very helpful. Here's what it shows before and during the reboot.
Code:
Dec 28 10:43:40 HOSTNAME dbus-daemon[2309]: [session uid=1000 pid=2307] Successfully activated service 'org.gtk.vfs.GPhoto2VolumeMonitor'
Dec 28 10:43:40 HOSTNAME dbus-daemon[2309]: [session uid=1000 pid=2307] Activating service name='ca.desrt.dconf' requested by ':1.72' (uid=1000 pid=2587 comm="/usr/bin/firefox ")
Dec 28 10:43:40 HOSTNAME dbus-daemon[2309]: [session uid=1000 pid=2307] Successfully activated service 'ca.desrt.dconf'
Dec 28 11:12:04 HOSTNAME -- MARK --
Dec 28 11:32:04 HOSTNAME -- MARK --
Dec 28 11:52:04 HOSTNAME -- MARK --
Dec 28 12:12:04 HOSTNAME -- MARK --
Dec 28 12:32:04 HOSTNAME -- MARK --
Dec 28 12:52:04 HOSTNAME -- MARK --
Dec 28 13:12:04 HOSTNAME -- MARK --
Dec 28 13:32:04 HOSTNAME -- MARK --
Dec 28 13:52:04 HOSTNAME -- MARK --
Dec 28 13:58:29 HOSTNAME syslogd 1.5.1: restart.
Dec 28 13:58:29 HOSTNAME kernel: klogd 1.5.1, log source = /proc/kmsg started.
Dec 28 13:58:29 HOSTNAME kernel: [    0.000000] Linux version 4.19.12 (root@hive64.slackware.lan) (gcc version 8.2.0 (GCC)) #2 SMP Fri Dec 21 21:28:00 CST 2018
Dec 28 13:58:29 HOSTNAME kernel: [    0.000000] Command line: BOOT_IMAGE=dev005:\EFI\Slackware\vmlinuz-generic-4.19.12  root=/dev/slackvg/root vga=normal ro ro
Dec 28 13:58:29 HOSTNAME kernel: [    0.000000] x86/fpu: Supporting XSAVE feature 0x001: 'x87 floating point registers'
Dec 28 13:58:29 HOSTNAME kernel: [    0.000000] x86/fpu: Supporting XSAVE feature 0x002: 'SSE registers'
Dec 28 13:58:29 HOSTNAME kernel: [    0.000000] x86/fpu: Supporting XSAVE feature 0x004: 'AVX registers'
Dec 28 13:58:29 HOSTNAME kernel: [    0.000000] x86/fpu: xstate_offset[2]:  576, xstate_sizes[2]:  256
I'm not really sure where else to check right now as it's odd that it only happens when I leave the system alone, writing to my external drive for a couple hours. Again, if I continue using the system while it writes, it's fine and never reboots.

Any help would be greatly appreciated!

Last edited by The_Dark_Passenger; 12-28-2018 at 07:20 PM.

Old 12-28-2018, 08:49 PM   #2
abga

Distribution: Slackware

Rep: Reputation: 929Reputation: 929Reputation: 929Reputation: 929Reputation: 929Reputation: 929Reputation: 929Reputation: 929
I have an USB 2.0 DVB adapter that brings down, without any records in the system logs, any Linux system (regardless of kernel version) if the USB subsystem enters (auto)suspend state, so my workaround is to add a specific udev rule and keep this DVB device always enabled:
Code:
#in
/lib/udev/rules.d/99-local.rules
# added
ACTION=="add", SUBSYSTEM=="usb", ATTR{product}=="Name of the DVB Adapter", ATTR{power/control}="on"
Not sure if it's valid in your case, since you keep the external HDD always busy, but maybe it's worth checking your actual USB PM - follow this guide to identify the device - get the PM state:
https://hamwaves.com/usb.autosuspend/en/
And use this (and/or my first paragraph) to guide you in creating an udev rule and put ATTR{power/control}="on" instead of "auto" for your external HDD:
https://wiki.archlinux.org/index.php...SB_autosuspend
Further lecture:
https://www.kernel.org/doc/html/v4.1...anagement.html

Old 12-29-2018, 07:08 PM   #3
The_Dark_Passenger

Distribution: Slackware64 14.2 & -Current

Original Poster
Rep: Reputation: Disabled
Thank you abga for your reply!

Will keeping the external HDD always enabled prevent it from sleeping? When it isn't in use for a certain amount of time currently it automatically spins down and goes into it's sleep mode where the LED on the front pulsates.

I do want this to occur when I'm not actively using the drive for an extended period of time.

What's just really odd though is these reboots have only occurred when I lock my session and don't use the system. When I'm writing to the drive, it's fine when I'm using it even all day.

I was wondering if it was power supply related, but I can work with and render 4k video in Kdenlive all day without issue which basically slams the CPU to max. If it were PSU related I would imagine it would cause system instability with this?

Thank you again.

Old 12-29-2018, 07:51 PM   #4
abga

Distribution: Slackware

Rep: Reputation: 929Reputation: 929Reputation: 929Reputation: 929Reputation: 929Reputation: 929Reputation: 929Reputation: 929
Quote:
Originally Posted by The_Dark_Passenger View Post
Thank you abga for your reply!

Will keeping the external HDD always enabled prevent it from sleeping? When it isn't in use for a certain amount of time currently it automatically spins down and goes into it's sleep mode where the LED on the front pulsates.
It depends how autonomous the HDD PM is, that's if it cares about the state of the USB port, and that could be your actual problem, the HDD PM might not be compatible with the kernel USB PM. Try my suggestion and see if you still experience reboots, that's your first concern, I guess.
Quote:
I do want this to occur when I'm not actively using the drive for an extended period of time.
Again, depending on your HDD PM, you can use hdparm to put it to sleep manually/automatically:
https://linux.die.net/man/8/hdparm
The answer with the 45-sdX-power.rules in /etc/udev/rules.d is a good one:
https://unix.stackexchange.com/quest...-i-dont-use-it
Some more examples with hdparm:
https://wiki.archlinux.org/index.php/hdparm

Quote:
What's just really odd though is these reboots have only occurred when I lock my session and don't use the system. When I'm writing to the drive, it's fine when I'm using it even all day.

I was wondering if it was power supply related, but I can work with and render 4k video in Kdenlive all day without issue which basically slams the CPU to max. If it were PSU related I would imagine it would cause system instability with this?

Thank you again.
Could be a HW/PSU issue, but you noticed that it happens only when you have your external HDD connected, and that unit won't put that much pressure on the PSU through the USB port, besides, USB ports have active electronic protection on over-current/surge (well, theoretically, on motherboards that are not manufactured in a garage in Shenzhen).
Some additional suggestions:
- X(KDE) related, check if KDE has some PM settings, try disabling any you find related to the storage/usb/peripherals, etc. I'm not that much experienced with KDE, I'm mostly using console mode and just for office stuff XFCE.
- try keeping the system on, idle, without X (KDE) running, the only PM that could kick in on USB is the one mentioned in my post #2, kernel. This way you can also rule out KDE PM settings.