LinuxQuestions.org
Latest LQ Deal: Latest LQ Deals
Home Forums Tutorials Articles Register
Go Back   LinuxQuestions.org > Forums > Linux Forums > Linux - Distributions > Slackware
User Name
Password
Slackware This Forum is for the discussion of Slackware Linux.

Notices

Search this Thread
Old 07-09-2018, 09:17 AM   #46
cwizardone
LQ Veteran

Distribution: Slackware64-current with "True Multilib" and KDE4Town.

Rep: Reputation: 7275Reputation: 7275Reputation: 7275Reputation: 7275Reputation: 7275Reputation: 7275Reputation: 7275Reputation: 7275Reputation: 7275Reputation: 7275Reputation: 7275

Quote:
Originally Posted by enorbet View Post
I'd just like to add m y voice to the few that have recommended NOT trying to make Slackware behave just like Ubuntu or even Void and especially with regards to package management. The default Pkgtool management suite, though often reviled by other distros and distro aficionados, is actually a huge benefit rather than a curse provided you wisely go with Full Recommended Install. The biggest reason is that Pkgtools will NEVER put your base system at any risk beyond a new package not operating but never breaking the Base as other distros commonly do. As a result maintenance on Slackware is far more minimal than any distro I have ever tried out and over 20 years I have tried close to 50.

It can take a bit more time and effort to setup than other distros but once that is done it is much more 'set it and forget it" than others. With the possible exception of LFS I know of no other distro that by default does ONLY what you tell it to do so you are never guessing "what went wrong?" because it is obviously whatever you just did. That is a huge benefit and time saver... not to mention you keep your hair longer
Hear, hear!!!!