LinuxQuestions.org
Share your knowledge at the LQ Wiki.
Home Forums Tutorials Articles Register
Go Back   LinuxQuestions.org > Forums > Linux Forums > Linux - Distributions > Slackware
User Name
Password
Slackware This Forum is for the discussion of Slackware Linux.

Notices

Search this Thread
Old 12-09-2017, 12:10 AM   #1
Aeterna

Distribution: VM Host: Slackware-current, VM Guests: Artix, Venom, antiX, Gentoo, FreeBSD, OpenBSD, OpenIndiana

Rep: Reputation: Disabled
bluetooth headset connected but no sound

I have Jaybird X2
At first I could not pair in ktown plasma,
even though headset was set to scanning mode bluedevil did not see it
however after resorting to konsole all is connected and recognized visible in system settings and in the panel.

Now the issue is that I can't get sound in headset.

Is there any solution to this problem?

Thank you

Old 12-09-2017, 12:29 AM   #2
Richard Cranium

Distribution: Slackware64 15.0

Rep: Reputation: 2225Reputation: 2225Reputation: 2225Reputation: 2225Reputation: 2225Reputation: 2225Reputation: 2225Reputation: 2225Reputation: 2225Reputation: 2225Reputation: 2225
Did you check the pulseaudio settings?

Old 12-09-2017, 01:35 PM   #3
Aeterna

Distribution: VM Host: Slackware-current, VM Guests: Artix, Venom, antiX, Gentoo, FreeBSD, OpenBSD, OpenIndiana

Original Poster
Quote:
Originally Posted by Richard Cranium View Post
Did you check the pulseaudio settings?
pavucontrol?
Yes, it lets me select default output device and headset is listed as an option. When I select Jaybird though, sound is gone.

Old 12-09-2017, 04:43 PM   #4
Aeterna

Original Poster
Interesting development:
1) I lost my sound card (grayed out in system settings), no I have dummy device
2) no sound in Host (slackware) over Jaybird
3) sound in Virtual Guest (passtrough Jaybird
4) no sound in virtual guest disconnected from Jaybird (obvious: see pt1)
5) just pulling out bluetooth dongle and restarting Slackware kills/freeze Plasma (ok.. 5) before login screen appears (Plasma mouse cursor on black background) but
5a) disconnecting bluetooth dongle before pulling out fixes the issue (that is - well - kind of strange) and Plasma5 works

Old 12-09-2017, 05:46 PM   #5
Aeterna

Original Poster
o.k. further development

I recovered my sound card. But there is a catch: I can either get sound to handset with dummy soundcard or get physical soundcard but no connection to the headset.
to do this I need to modify
/etc/asound.conf

And the twist:
headset works only in virtual guest Devuan or Funtoo or Artix

Both Slackware host and Slackware guest are not able to use headset.

So how to fix this (get headset working in Slackware)?
Is there a way of keeping sound working on both devices: soundcard and headset without constant switching of asound.conf settings which will let me use only one device?

Old 12-09-2017, 06:53 PM   #6
Aeterna

Original Poster
o.k.
Now I can use either headset or soundcard.
I need to restart Slackware for system to see usb/bluetooth dongle.

Is there better way (scanning for the device shows dongle but I can't connect unless I restart system)?

Firefox in Slackware does not cooperate with headset, but it works in all other firefox installations/other distros tested.

Any way to use headset with firefox?

Old 12-09-2017, 07:58 PM   #7
Richard Cranium

Rep: Reputation: 2225Reputation: 2225Reputation: 2225Reputation: 2225Reputation: 2225Reputation: 2225Reputation: 2225Reputation: 2225Reputation: 2225Reputation: 2225Reputation: 2225
Yes. Check pavucontrol. You have to look at the Playback tab as well as the Output Devices tab.

I'm listening to a Youtube video on Firefox on a Slackware64 14.2 system as I type this on an H800 Logitech headset over bluetooth (a Cambridge Silicon Radio, Ltd Bluetooth Dongle (HCI mode)).

Old 12-09-2017, 08:39 PM   #8
Aeterna

Original Poster
Quote:
Yes. Check pavucontrol. You have to look at the Playback tab as well as the Output Devices tab.

I'm listening to a Youtube video on Firefox on a Slackware64 14.2 system as I type this on an H800 Logitech headset over bluetooth (a Cambridge Silicon Radio, Ltd Bluetooth Dongle (HCI mode)).
Thank you,
but pavucontrol does not show anything interesting:
Playback shows System Sounds only
Output devices shows
Built-in Audio Analog Stereo (Speakers)
and
Headset
in configuration tab I had to change
headset settings from
Headset Head Unit (HSP/HFP)
to
High Fidelity Playback (A2DP Sink)

finally in Volume Control for Headset I had to check "Raise Maximum Volume"

One obvious difference between your setup and mine is that I have Slackware-current with Plasma5

By the way: is it possible to connect usb dongle after system boots and make system recognize and connect headset?

Thank you

Last edited by Aeterna; 12-09-2017 at 08:44 PM.

Old 12-09-2017, 09:30 PM   #9
Aeterna

Original Poster
looks like my firejail settings block use of headset with firefox. So this is fixed too.

Last question is then how to make dongle to be recognized and connected to headset without restarting Slackware.

Old 12-10-2017, 01:20 AM   #10
Richard Cranium

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aeterna View Post
looks like my firejail settings block use of headset with firefox. So this is fixed too.

Last question is then how to make dongle to be recognized and connected to headset without restarting Slackware.
Running
Code:
/etc/rc.d/rc.bluetooth restart
as root should bring the dongle up. Assuming it's the same dongle as before, bluetoothd caches what it had learned about your bluetooth devices (in /var/lib/bluetooth) and you connect the device as usual.

Old 12-10-2017, 10:45 AM   #11
Aeterna

Original Poster
Quote:
Running
Code:
/etc/rc.d/rc.bluetooth restart
as root should bring the dongle up. Assuming it's the same dongle as before, bluetoothd caches what it had learned about your bluetooth devices (in /var/lib/bluetooth) and you connect the device as usual.
Thank you for your help.
All sorted out now.

Last edited by Aeterna; 12-10-2017 at 10:46 AM.