LinuxQuestions.org
Review your favorite Linux distribution.
Home Forums Tutorials Articles Register
Go Back   LinuxQuestions.org > Forums > Linux Forums > Linux - Distributions > Slackware
User Name
Password
Slackware This Forum is for the discussion of Slackware Linux.

Notices

Search this Thread
Old 10-05-2017, 02:43 AM   #1
dchmelik

Distribution: Slackware, FreeBSD, Illumos, NetBSD, DragonflyBSD, Plan9, Inferno, OpenBSD, FreeDOS, HURD

Rep: Reputation: 148Reputation: 148
setting LS_OPTIONS?

I want to alias ls, aliased (default) in /etc/profile.d/coreutils-dircolors.sh, /etc/profile.d/coreutils-dircolors.csh. After editing, then for one ls type, I get error below.

Code:
d@cosmos:~$ ls -w --width=0
/bin/ls: invalid line width: ‘--width=0’
If you weren't sure, it's valid, below ('man ls.')

Code:
-w, --width=COLS
              set output width to COLS.  0 means no limit
The error happened even after moving /etc/profile.d/coreutils-dircolors* to /root, then using 'upgradepkg --reinstall' for coreutils, rebooting. Now I see others extended LS_OPTIONS in /etc/profile, but is there a way I can fix ls (even modify options) without reinstalling?

Last edited by dchmelik; 10-05-2017 at 02:55 AM.

Old 10-05-2017, 02:52 AM   #2
camorri
LQ 5k Club

Distribution: Slackware 15.0, current, slackware-arm-currnet

Rep: Reputation: 860Reputation: 860Reputation: 860Reputation: 860Reputation: 860Reputation: 860Reputation: 860
Quote:
ls -w --width=0
You don't need both -w and --width=0. Try ls --width=0, works for me on 14.2 64 bit Slackware.

You can also use the syntax 'ls -w 0' ( without the quotes ). I played with the width up to 200 in increments of 20. Works like a charm.

Last edited by camorri; 10-05-2017 at 02:57 AM.

1 members found this post helpful.
Old 10-05-2017, 02:58 AM   #3
dchmelik

Distribution: Slackware, FreeBSD, Illumos, NetBSD, DragonflyBSD, Plan9, Inferno, OpenBSD, FreeDOS, HURD

Original Poster
Rep: Reputation: 148Reputation: 148
Okay, so it was a syntax error; I guess I didn't corrupt the files. But for the rest of the topic, is it okay to edit those files, or is there a better way to set LS_OPTIONS in /etc/profile and/or .bashrc?

Old 10-05-2017, 03:14 AM   #4
camorri
LQ 5k Club

Distribution: Slackware 15.0, current, slackware-arm-currnet

Rep: Reputation: 860Reputation: 860Reputation: 860Reputation: 860Reputation: 860Reputation: 860Reputation: 860
Quote:
is it okay to edit those files, or is there a better way to set LS_OPTIONS in /etc/profile and/or .bashrc?
I have alias(s) in both areas. They are both conf plain text files, so I see no reason not to edit them, it is your system to do with as you see fit. I think it just depends what you want to accomplish which file best suits your need.

Old 10-05-2017, 11:51 AM   #5
bassmadrigal
LQ Guru

Distribution: Slackware

Rep: Reputation: 6656Reputation: 6656Reputation: 6656Reputation: 6656Reputation: 6656Reputation: 6656Reputation: 6656Reputation: 6656Reputation: 6656Reputation: 6656Reputation: 6656
Quote:
Originally Posted by dchmelik View Post
is it okay to edit those files, or is there a better way to set LS_OPTIONS in /etc/profile and/or .bashrc?
It's absolutely ok to modify those files. I added --group-directories-first to the OPTIONS variable at the top of my coreutils-dircolors.sh file, which is then used in LS_OPTIONS further down.

However, these should only be modified if you want it to affect all users on the system (which isn't a big deal if it's just you on the system). If you want to make changes for just your user, you should use a ~/.bashrc or ~/.profile. Any aliases you set in those will override the ones set in coreutils-dircolors.sh

Just remember that stuff in /etc/ is system-wide. If you want it on a per-user basis, use your ~/.bashrc or ~/.profile