LinuxQuestions.org
Help answer threads with 0 replies.
Home Forums Tutorials Articles Register
Go Back   LinuxQuestions.org > Forums > Linux Forums > Linux - Distributions > Debian
User Name
Password
Debian This forum is for the discussion of Debian Linux.

Notices

Search this Thread
Old 07-14-2019, 04:16 AM   #1
OTB

Distribution: Slackware 15

Rep: Reputation: 110Reputation: 110
Latest version of OBS-studio

Hi everyone. I’ve just installed Debian 10 and it’s working flawlessly. However, here’s my question. I need the latest version of obs as va-api ffmpeg rendering was only introduced in v23. I installed snapd and installed this using a snap package. However I see the latest version is also available in the deb multimedia repo, which I would prefer to run rather than a snap. I’m aware of the risks of using this repo and wondered what the best way of using it is - enable, install obs and then disable, or use apt pinning

Old 07-16-2019, 03:16 AM   #2
evo2
LQ Guru

Distribution: Mostly Debian and CentOS

Rep: Reputation: 1705Reputation: 1705Reputation: 1705Reputation: 1705Reputation: 1705Reputation: 1705Reputation: 1705Reputation: 1705Reputation: 1705Reputation: 1705Reputation: 1705
Hi,

I'd suggest that you try installing it from deb multimedia, and check to see what other packages it pulls in from there. If it only pulls libobs and obs-plugins then you are probably fine. If it grabs a bunch of other stuff then I guess you need to look a little bit closer. Eg. enable the repo then:

Code:
apt -s install obs-studio
If you do end up installing it from there, then disabling the repo after the install would be a reasonable thing to do.

Another option is to install from source. It appears to be fairly straightforward. https://obsproject.com/wiki/install-...ild-directions

Evo2.

P.S. You could also look into requesting a v23 in buster-backports once it makes it into sid and then testing.

Old 07-16-2019, 04:33 AM   #3
OTB

Distribution: Slackware 15

Original Poster
Rep: Reputation: 110Reputation: 110
Quote:
Originally Posted by evo2 View Post
Hi,

I'd suggest that you try installing it from deb multimedia, and check to see what other packages it pulls in from there. If it only pulls libobs and obs-plugins then you are probably fine. If it grabs a bunch of other stuff then I guess you need to look a little bit closer. Eg. enable the repo then:

Code:
apt -s install obs-studio
If you do end up installing it from there, then disabling the repo after the install would be a reasonable thing to do.

Another option is to install from source. It appears to be fairly straightforward. https://obsproject.com/wiki/install-...ild-directions

Evo2.

P.S. You could also look into requesting a v23 in buster-backports once it makes it into sid and then testing.
Tried the version in deb multimedia but it crashes when I hit record so I purged my system of deb multimedia and went back to the snap