LinuxQuestions.org
Review your favorite Linux distribution.
Home Forums Tutorials Articles Register
Go Back   LinuxQuestions.org > Forums > Linux Forums > Linux - Desktop
User Name
Password
Linux - Desktop This forum is for the discussion of all Linux Software used in a desktop context.

Notices

Search this Thread
Old 11-08-2019, 04:16 PM   #1
Donny Bahama

Location: Margaritaville (a state of mind west of Las Vegas), NV
Distribution: Linux Mint

Rep: Reputation: 1
Deepin Linux won't let me delete ~/folders - even as root?!

Using Deepin 15.11, I'm trying to delete ~/Documents, ~/Desktop, ~/Downloads, ~/Music, ~/Pictures, and ~/Videos.

I'm doing this to replace them with symlinks to shared (same name) folders on a permanently mounted (in fstab) ext4 partition but Deepin won't let me delete them with sudo. I tried switching to root and I can delete the folders but as soon as I delete one (e.g. Documents), it gets immediately recreated. If I rename (mv) Documents to Docs, a new Documents directory gets created immediately. (At which point I can rm Docs.) About the only thing I've managed to achieve (still as root) is to delete the directory and create a blank file in its place...
Code:
rm -rf ~/Documents & touch ~/Documents
... which gets me precisely nowhere. I tried to follow that up with...
Code:
rm ~/Documents & ln -s /mnt/shared-home/Documents ~/Documents
but it throws an error saying the 'file' (by which it means directory) exists (has already been automatically recreated).

This is a multi-boot Linux demo machine with 8 distros, each of which has 2 identically named accounts (one with admin capabilities and one without) and each distro is setup to point at the shared-home directory for Documents, Pictures, Music, Videos, Desktop, and Downloads on the permanently mounted partition. (The actual profile is in the /home/user directory on the system/root partition so the profile settings don't step all over each other.)

So far, four other distros have cooperated just fine. Only Deepin is being a stubborn pain in my... neck.

This is a bit maddening. Anyone have any suggestions on how I might get this done?

Old 11-08-2019, 06:02 PM   #2
michaelk

Rep: Reputation: 5896Reputation: 5896Reputation: 5896Reputation: 5896Reputation: 5896Reputation: 5896Reputation: 5896Reputation: 5896Reputation: 5896Reputation: 5896Reputation: 5896
Many distributions will automatically create the default directories but that typically is at login. I don't know if deepin has some service or inotify watch that checks and automatically recreates the directories on the fly. I am not that familiar with deepin to know where to search to or look.

https://wiki.archlinux.org/index.php...er_directories

Old 11-09-2019, 12:28 AM   #3
ondoho
LQ Addict

Rep: Reputation: 6053Reputation: 6053Reputation: 6053Reputation: 6053Reputation: 6053Reputation: 6053Reputation: 6053Reputation: 6053Reputation: 6053Reputation: 6053Reputation: 6053
output of
Code:
pgrep -l xdg
please.

Tags
system administration