LinuxQuestions.org
Help answer threads with 0 replies.
Home Forums Tutorials Articles Register
Go Back   LinuxQuestions.org > Forums > LinuxQuestions.org > LQ Suggestions & Feedback
User Name
Password
LQ Suggestions & Feedback Do you have a suggestion for this site or an idea that will make the site better? This forum is for you.
PLEASE READ THIS FORUM - Information and status updates will also be posted here.

Notices

Search this Thread
Old 11-07-2019, 05:51 AM   #1
grumpyskeptic

Rep: Reputation: Disabled
How to preserve table structure when pasting into a post?

My posting here https://www.linuxquestions.org/quest...293/page2.html about the results of using the route -n command, has clear columns when I paste the tables into the edit box, but when displayed the columns are lost, making it difficult to understand.

How can I paste a table to keep the columns preserved when displayed?

Thanks

Old 11-07-2019, 06:37 AM   #2
rtmistler

Distribution: MINT Debian, Angstrom, SUSE, Ubuntu, Debian

Rep: Reputation: 4930Reputation: 4930Reputation: 4930Reputation: 4930Reputation: 4930Reputation: 4930Reputation: 4930Reputation: 4930Reputation: 4930Reputation: 4930Reputation: 4930
Put it within [code] tags.

While typing wrap it within [code][/code] tags, so that it appears like this:
Code:
this, is, data, from, my, table
   1,  2,    3,    4,  5,     6
Otherwise it looks like this:
this, is, data, from, my, table
1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6

NOTE: It did NOT look like that in the normal typing dialog box, there are/were spaces between each successive number, just like used in the one put in the code tags. In fact, editing here later, those spaces still show in the edit form. They obviously get optimized out when it is just normal dialog versus within a code block.

Another option is to used Advanced edit mode, select the text, and the tools at the top of the window there is a # symbol which will do the wrapping of the text for you. There also should be a hint which shows to tell you this.

This is the same sort of thing for [url] tag which it appears you have used in your post here:
Quote:
Originally Posted by grumpyskeptic View Post
My posting here https://www.linuxquestions.org/quest...293/page2.html about the results of using the route -n command, has clear columns when I paste the tables into the edit box, but when displayed the columns are lost, making it difficult to understand.

How can I paste a table to keep the columns preserved when displayed?

Thanks

Last edited by rtmistler; 11-08-2019 at 06:42 AM.

Old 11-08-2019, 08:27 AM   #3
grumpyskeptic

Original Poster
Rep: Reputation: Disabled
Thanks, the code tags do the job.