LinuxQuestions.org
Latest LQ Deal: Latest LQ Deals
Home Forums Tutorials Articles Register
Go Back   LinuxQuestions.org > Forums > Linux Forums > Linux - Distributions > Linux Deepin
User Name
Password
Linux Deepin This forum is for the discussion of Linux Deepin.

Notices

Search this Thread
Old 10-09-2018, 05:58 AM   #1
newdeepinguy
LQ Newbie

Rep: Reputation: Disabled
Very strange behaviour with my new Deepin upgrade

Hi all,
This is my VERY first post anywhere regarding any of my previous Linux distribution installs.

I know a little, but am a relative noob so go easy please!

Installed DeepinOS 15.6 last week and updated immediately to 15.7 but ever since, I've been pulling my hair out with a rather long list of issues that I can't seem to keep on top of and I don't really know what to do.

Deepin was running 'Just OK' before the first update by the way.

I have a Lenovo Ideapad 330 and from the get go (after the first update)....

1. The touchpad doesn't work at all.
2. Network Manager does not run at boot, needing a manual 'sudo service network-manager restart'
3. Installed WICD network manager instead, and removed 'Network Manager' but on restart, NM returns (?!)
4. Then noticed other programs I installed, Synaptic, KShutdown, WICD disappeared on restart.
5. Shutdown button failing to repsond
6. Intel graphics driver 'Auto Restores to default' each and every boot up
7. Two video players freeze often on playing movies requiring a move of the mouse

I REALLY wanted Deepin to work, even despite a little tinkering, but after a full update, and too many days trying to fight the issues, I just can't keep on top of the avalanche of new problems.

The touchpad issue, I fear has no solution as I've read there may not be support for it.

For the Network manager issues, I've always found solutions for past distributions with WICD, but to find that after install, this program disappears and Network Manager magically reappears is a real confusion.

Then out of the blue the Shutdown button doesnt respond....I'm lost.

Any help, or....well, encouragement would be very welcome, I'm one exhausted Deepin guy

Old 10-10-2018, 11:52 AM   #2
pan64
LQ Addict

Distribution: debian/ubuntu/suse ...

Rep: Reputation: 7320Reputation: 7320Reputation: 7320Reputation: 7320Reputation: 7320Reputation: 7320Reputation: 7320Reputation: 7320Reputation: 7320Reputation: 7320Reputation: 7320
looks like too many problems but too few details. Hard to say anything. Probably installation failed or the OS somehow has been corrupted. Did you try to reinstall it?

Old 10-11-2018, 02:54 AM   #3
newdeepinguy
LQ Newbie

Original Poster
Rep: Reputation: Disabled
The original installation completed fine, but with a few glitches and the inevitable first update bought a whole bunch of new issues that as explained are virtually impossible to keep on top of.

A re-installation means I revert to square one, with the same glitches as before and an non-updated system.
If I cannot narrow down the updates that are causing the long list of issues I now face, there is really no way of going forward with this OS which is a real shame.

If you need to focus on just one issue....
Why is Deepin reverting all settings, erasing newly installed programs and re-installing previously uninstalled ones?
I am not using a live version, I am using hard drive installed version and this behaviour makes no sense to me at all.
It means whatever fixes I try with my long list of issues are completely pointless after a restart erases them.